Pressure washer

• Idea
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Under Consideration
So today I had to rebuild the carb on my pressure washer, change out the oil and plug as well as the plug wire before i could even use it. I've always been fond of a gas powered washer because of the volume and pressure it could get.
The idea didn't hit me till i was in the shower planing out my Friday......why am i still messing with a gasoline powered pressure washer, my ego products work so well that i didn't even realize how much of a time saver they are, or how much less i have to do to maintain.
Why doesn't Ego come out with a pressure washer that is at least almost equivalent with a gas powered version. Obviously the gas powered has the torque to turn the pump, but i think that problem could be solved  with dual batteries and more winding on the armature.
i could have been done with this task so much sooner had i not had to waste hours running around to get parts. 
Photo of RobertM

RobertM

• 492 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 61,946 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I would think at best a small hose end pressure washer is practical, like the size of a sawzal and maybe achieve 1.5 gpm and 1000 psi hp = (gpm x psi) / (1714*pump efficiency) so at 1k psi, the motor would need to be more powerful than the mower motor. It would be quite handy to wash off things without needing to drag out the beast pressure washer. As a matter of fact, i have been trying to build such a pressure washer. Probably going to use the motor from the 15" trimmer or leaf blower. Leaf blower would require a very small pump, the trimmer would be larger. Both would achieve the same output. The blower spins at 20k rpm so that needs to be taken into account.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Ultimately what your asking for is definately possible and should be done. However it would be very expensive to make.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Also. I requested this a year ago I think too. It would be pretty awesome not having to deal with carburetors anymore.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 163,484 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Here it is Ego, the line in the sand has been drawn:

http://www.amazon.com/YF4050PB-Lithium-Ion-Bucket-Pressure-Washer/dp/B012RMQSYU/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-ga...

Apparently it runs for about 20 minutes on a 40V 4Ah battery, 500 psi, 1 gal/min.

Let's see what you guys can come up with!!!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 163,484 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 5,778 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
:( The customers did NOT have much in the way of positive reviews of this product. https://www.amazon.com/YardForce-YF4050PB-Lithium-Ion-Bucket-Pressure/dp/B012RMQSYU#customerReviews
(Edited)

Paul Christenson

And it looks like now Yard Force has abandoned the effort

Currently unavailable. 
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/YardForce-YF4050PB-Lithium-Ion-Bucket-Pressure/dp/B012RMQSYU#customerReviews

Paul Christenson

If you want an ELECTRIC pressure washer...figure out which one you want from here (plenty of options to choose from)
https://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/power/electric-pressure-washers.html?msclkid=4b98aaa21b28132ce...
Photo of David Cline

David Cline, Champion

• 36,696 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The bucket makes the thing so much more bulky than it needs to be. Take apart a Karcher electric model and see how small the motor and chamber really are.

I could definitely see having two versions, perhaps a hose-supplied handheld with 2.5Ah battery and a larger wheeled tank-equipped model with 5Ah battery. The idea of being totally untethered is cool, but much less practical if a hose is accessible.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 163,108 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agreed, however, I believe this one works with a hose as well.

What would be cool is if it could stand on end. That way it would take up so much less floor space, but still be laid flat and used with the bucket if that option was necessary.

I would think the bucket option would only be used by a small percentage of people who need to operate beyond the reach of a hose or where a hose isn't available.

Maybe an optional bucket, sold on-line only to save warehousing space? Geez, now I'm thinking too much...
Photo of Daniel Pack

Daniel Pack

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled EGO Power washer.

EGO Power washer
Photo of Glen

Glen

• 2,136 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I still think a cordless pressure washer is sort of pointless. For myself, I don't use my pressure washers that often but when I do, I need them to run for at least an hour, sometimes longer. I have a Karcher corded unit (1500psi) and a gas powered unit capable of 3000psi. For me, anything less than 1500psi isn't much use. And because I don't use them daily/weekly, or even monthly, it's not a big deal to drag out the extension cord or fill the tank with gas. I think cordless tools are most beneficial for things you use often...YMMV.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 46,094 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I think mine gets used once a year for the house.  I agree that it is not an ideal tool for battery power.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline, Champion

• 36,240 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I guess it depends on your intended use. I was using my electric one at least 2x per week to spray the power tools and wash the cars. Until I got sick of messing with the goofy plastic hose connector and extension cords. And then the electric pump broke and was spraying water all over the power connector—seemed like a bad combo so I tossed it. The gas one is too much work for a 5 minute job.

Ideally I would wash the cars 2-3x per week if I could get a 1500psi battery powered pressure washer.
(Edited)
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,192 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
For as long as we've waited for an EGO snow blower, I wouldn't hold my breath for a pressure washer.  A snow blower is something that arguably much of the country would use every season, several times a month, and yet it's still taken EGO what seems like an eternity to come to market with one.  

I agree that a shop vac would be pretty bad a$s though!
(Edited)
Photo of Han Soto

Han Soto

• 66 Points
I love the shop vac idea
Photo of Brad Carey

Brad Carey

• 2,150 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Wash the cars 2-3X per week?! Mine may get 2X a year! I do always buy silver for a reason though, it hardly ever looks dirty.
Photo of Glen

Glen

• 2,136 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Personally, I'd rather see Ego's development time/money spent on a shop vac...that's something I would use weekly if not daily.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline, Champion

• 36,130 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What good is vacuuming the interior without washing the exterior of your cars? What else do you use either tool for?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 45,430 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I won't use a pressure washer on a car.  Hand wash baby!  Vacuum I use every wash.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline, Champion

Ha! Maybe when I get a Tesla I'll start hand washing.

Have you tried getting GA bugs off the grille by hand??
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 45,430 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Guess they are a lot like SC bugs.  I pour gas on them and light a match.  Burns them off.  If that doesn't work, a good 60 grit sandpaper  :-)

I really don't like bugs and road tar.  Pain in the rear.

Photo of David Cline

David Cline, Champion

Do y'all play "guess if it's a bird or mosquito" in SC too?

Much easier to get those off after a couple of days than a couple of weeks. After that I think there's some chemical reaction and they become permanently bonded.

Which is why we need a pressure washer that doesn't take 10 minutes to set up for 2 minutes of spraying.
Photo of David Manuli

David Manuli

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Power washer on the horizon?.

Love the new editions such as the backpack blower which I just purchased. Your products are incredible. I only have one gas powered tool left so I am hoping you guys are working on a power washer :)
Keep up the great work, my ears and lungs thank you!!
Loyal customer,
DM
Photo of jim mcdonald

jim mcdonald

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Pressure Washer. Curious if EGO is developing a pressure washer.

It would seem that a pressure washer would be a good addition to the product line. 
Photo of Alan Toothaker

Alan Toothaker

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled any chance of a power washer in the near future.
Photo of Dennis Dai

Dennis Dai

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled any plans for a pressure washer PLEEEEaSE!.

Pressure washer would be great.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

• 4,058 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
This is what I use.  Pretty happy with it.  I know if EGO built a powerwasher it would blow this out of the water (pun intended)

Photo of Robert Oslin

Robert Oslin

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Pretty weak. 360 psi? Now I see why cordless is not an option for a pressure washer as of yet.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 61,884 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It is easily an option with ego batteries. They can handle the power requirements. Dual battery of course. Or 4
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 50,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I get the impression from some engineers I've talked to that moving water under that kind of pressure isn't as easy as you might think using batteries, at least for any length of time.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

the formula is HorsePower = GPM X PSI / 1714 * Overall efficiency.  
assume overall efficiency is 70%

four 5 AH batteries have roughly 900 Watt Hours of power or 1.2 HP For one hour

So if we want 2 gpm at 3000 PSI is 5 HP

so with four 5AH batteries your run time would be roughly 0.24 Hours or 14.5 minutes

so magically we have a very expensive short run time pressure washer.

drop those numbers down to 1000 psi and you have .75 hours at 2GPM and 1000 psi

i think :)

https://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/other-technologies/guide-matching-electric-motors-hydraulic-pow...

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 48,934 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Cool.. Out of my pay grade.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 65,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
yea - not completely sure if Jacob is agreeing or disagreeing with Ken :)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

I am agreeing with him. The system would need to be way under powered to work well. And expensive. No one wants a 500 dollar 5000 psi 1 gpm pressure washer
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 50,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yep, if you could do it, the run time would be too short for anyone to be happy with it. People already complain when they get only 15 minutes from their leaf blowers running at full power.

14.5 minutes isn't long enough to power wash my car or my deck!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Yes and that is using four 5ah batteries. Basically 3.5 minutes per 5ah battery.

The reason the lawn mower last so long is that it isn't constantly experiencing full power draw all of the time.

I pull 60 amps from 4 batteries on my RC mower. 4 batteries last me 30 minutes. (But I get a lot done in 30 minutes
(Edited)
Photo of Robert Oslin

Robert Oslin

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
After waiting FOREVER I finally broke down and bought a Greeworks electric pressure washer. It least is sort of matches my Ego tools ;) Please Ego, stop building 15 variations of blowers and snowplows that 1% of the nation uses and give us a decent pressure washer (1500-1600 psi is fine) and while your at it, a vacuum!