Powerload String Trimmer with Carbon Fiber Shaft Reviews

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
Hey guys.  I am close to making my first step into Ego and cordless yard tools in general.  I have always hated reloading my gas string trimmer with a passion.  The Powerload system really appeals to me.  Please tell me that it has been working well for you all?  What are your experiences with this system?
Photo of Chris Huber

Chris Huber

• 382 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,236 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I have had no troubles with mine.  It has been working great.  Very easy to load - just as advertised.
Photo of Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Fantastic, I was almost afraid to ask...  Does it work with regular .095 string from other brands, or do we need to use the Ego stuff?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You don't need to use Ego string. In fact, I use Husqvarna Titanium Force string because I find Ego's string to be too brittle.

The carbon fiber trimmer has been working great for me. The Powerload system works great, too, although I see it as just a nice bonus since Ego's rapid reload head is itself pretty easy to use.

Here's a video I made demonstrating it:

(Edited)
Photo of Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Thank you, I also use that Husqvarna Titanium Force line.  Seems to work the best.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I haven't had the opportunity to use the powerload feature on mine yet, but the bump feed works well and is easy to extend string while trimming. Also the carbon fiber shaft seems to transmit less vibration to the hands than the aluminum shaft of my original 15" trimmer.
A note on mine is that the battery release button (lever?) is quite stiff to use to release the battery. I believe other powerload owners haven't had the button stiffness so it may just be my copy.

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Even the standard spools are easy to reload and less to fail. https://youtu.be/Ye8t8MBZg2Q
Photo of Green In GT

Green In GT

• 532 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have one with powerload.  It works fine.  However... I think looking back I should have purchased the Multi Head Option with the Rapid Reload Head and then I'd have a more versatile tool.  
Photo of Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Purchasing the multi tool attachments doesn't allow you to get the good deal on the packaged battery and chargers with each tool.
Photo of Green In GT

Green In GT

• 532 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
yes, that is true too.. I guess it is about how much of a yard you have and how many helpers you have.