Powerload head replacement

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • In Progress
I can't remove the old powerload head to replace with the new one. My pcowerload head stopped working (makes all the right noises but doesn't load the string). I saw some posts here from people with similar issues and they all ended up talking to EGO support. I called support and was helped by a knowledgable person who diagnosed that the unit had failed and I needed a new pcowerload head. This arrived today (3 days later - nice work EGO). I have removed the bump cap and can see the bolt I need to remove but I can't get any leverage to loosen it since it is on the shaft and just turns when I put a wrench on it. Holding the black spool would be an option but there is no way to get enough leverage there either. I called support again and they had no ideas on how to overcome this issue. They recommended I take the tool to a Home Depot store and ask for their help.

I'm sure there must be a simple trick to undo the nut but can't figure it out.
Photo of Paul Domnick

Paul Domnick

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of seaload

seaload

• 70 Points
I have had the same problem took it to home depot and took almost 2 months to get it back. also heard the use of an impact wrench would work because of the quick impacts it gives but have not tried. like on my mower blades need to hold or lock the blade down but with impact wrench comes off with no bracing .
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Watch this YouTube video to show you how to easily remove the bump head assembly.
https://youtu.be/zk_cnUKxfFE
Photo of Paul Domnick

Paul Domnick

Sadly the video doesn't help. The head on my device is a pcowerload head and has no place to put a locking allen key in. The powerload head only rotates one way and to undo the nut (assuming it is reverse thread like the one in the video) you do push against the ratchet designed to stop the head rotating the "wrong" way. However even moderate pressure on the wrench, much less than is needed to loosen the nut, jumps the ratchet to the next stop. So you can't loosen the nut....

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 63,216 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you have a manual for the trimmer, remove the head instructions are on pages 25-27. The nut loosens in a counter clockwise direction. 
If you don't have a manual, here is a link to the manual. Pages 25-27 for removing the head.
Photo of Paul Domnick

Paul Domnick

I did read the manual before posting. The technique they propose isn't feasible. At least on my tool. Step 5 says " Wear gloves. Use one hand to grasp the spool assembly to stabilise it, and use the other to hold an impact wrench to loosen the nut in a counterclockwise direction". I am not weak (6'3" 200 libs reasonably fit) but there is no way I can grip the smooth (so that the line doesn't snag) spool against the force of an impact wrench or a regular wrench. Maybe the nut on my device was over-tightened during manufacture but the recommend method doesn't work for me.
Photo of Paul Domnick

Paul Domnick

I guess my question could be rephrased as "when the nut holding the spool down is very tight what is the technique for getting more leverage to loosen it without damaging the tool?"
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 63,216 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You could try a large pair of channel locks with the jaws taped or wrapped to protect the plastic to hold the head while loosening the nut. Or water pump pliers of the kind with the nylon inserts in the jaws.
I hate seeing impact wrench instructions. There are way too many variables on how something goes on and how tight it gets. Something could be cross threaded or over tightened and you wouldn't know. Torque values are always the way to go IMO. 
I haven't had to open mine up, knock on wood, so I can't give direct experience but just thinking what I'd try if I had to.
Photo of Paul Domnick

Paul Domnick

Thanks - I think I'll have to try something like that. I'll post how it goes.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,136 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Paul, I think it would be prudent to take your tool to Home Depot with the owners manual and/or advice EGO gave you and have them try it. Surely they have someone handy there to help you.
Photo of Paul Domnick

Paul Domnick

Found a good way of doing this. I fed some fairly strong braided steel wire through the old head (the one being removed) and wrapped it around the head a few times and then wrapped it around the lowest part of the shaft of the tool (below the guard). Then i undid the nut. The wire quickly tightens and the nut loosens smoothly without any undue force. Nice solution I think.