Power plus mower idles to stop immediately after starting

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
I have the ego power+ mower and am having a problem with the mower idling down to a stop immediately after starting g. Battery is good, handle is fully extended, clips are good. Not sure what else the problem could be. Please help???
Photo of ron

ron

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Ron, the most common cause of this seems to be the clips coming loose and the handle sliding down, shutting the mower off as you describe; a slow ramp down and gradual shut-off.

Does the mower continue to run if you are not moving it?  If so, can you pull it backwards without it shutting off?

If you can't keep it running at all, even sitting still, you may need to give Ego a call to diagnose and get you fixed up.
Photo of ron

ron

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Sitting still and going backwards it still dies on me
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Time to get in touch with Ego for some help.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yup. Its dead buddy
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,566 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Sounds like the speed control is having issues. How old is your mower/model?
Photo of SueLW

SueLW

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm still using the original EGO 20" mower, on my fourth season. It seems to me the newer models have too many issues for the price. I'm sticking with mine until it's got nothing left. Maybe they'll fix all these problems by then or come out with the mow-bot..
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Me too:) I'm happy with everything about my 20" mower. I expect to get about 3 more years out of it ( which is roughly 18 yrs for a 1/2 acre lot, 36 for a 1/4 acre lot. Probably bad math.) But if it's half of that, then what a heck of a deal.

Then I'll buy that mower boy you speak of
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Is "mower boy" the proposed call sign for Ego's new line of robotic mowers?  Kinda like Amazon's Alexa or Apple's Siri?

"Hey Mower Boy"
"Mulch at height 3, begin at 4:15pm after the baby's nap, dock, begin recharging after 7pm."

Or was that just a case of the spell checker on the word "bot"? :-)
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Ugh..... spell check.. I hate you
Photo of Jim Decker

Jim Decker

• 60 Points
If I may piggyback on this since I'm having a similar issue with the mower our community garden uses, which raises about 5 tons of produce each season for Kansas City food pantries.  I offered to troubleshoot it since I have the same mower at home, although my home own sees little use in comparison.  I found a couple of small problems - someone apparently wrestled the battery out without pressing the button so the gray plastic cracked allowing the battery to not seat as firmly as it should.  I glued that back into place.  The contacts were all dirty so I cleaned those.  I opened it up and found that one of the spade connectors looks like it may not have been solidly connected and there was evidence on the insulation of sparking (fried heat shrink tubing).  So I secured that connection.  But, it does just as Ron described - as though the handle is sliding down.  Not braking like when you let go of the bar - just as though power was removed from the motor.  I've tried pulling the handle to make sure it's fully extended while standing still and walking backwards with it with the same result.  The garden's batteries don't hold charge well anymore - looking to replace on a shoestring - that's another rant - but, mine still hold a good charge and behavior is the same with any battery.  Is there something that could falsely be triggering the handle safety shutoff?

Jim
(Edited)