Power Head - Trimmer / Edger Combo with 2.5 AH battery available?

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Answered
I'm really liking the 21" EGO mower.  Been using it now for 2 months and it's a great product!

I want to replace my Stihl Combo Edger / Weedeater with the EGO's power head combo.  I'm tired of fighting lousy gas with Ethanol or paying extra for Ethanol free gas. The weight of the Stihl combo is 14#.  I see that EGO's power-head with edger is 16# or 2# heavier.  Since I'm getting older (over 70) I'm wondering if there is an option to get this power head combo with the 2.5 AH battery instead of the 5 AH battery?  If the answer is no, then if I order the Power Head Combo unit from Home Depot dot com, is there that 90 day satisfaction return policy in place?

Thanks.
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

• 1,012 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
If I understand what you are looking for yes and yes

the combo package you mention power head edger string trimmer and 5.0 battery is $399
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-POWER-15in-56V-Lithium-ion-Cordless-String-Trimmer-Edger-Combo-Kit-2...

or you can get
power head and edger and 2.5 battery $249
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Cordless-Power-Head-Edger-Kit-Multi-Head-Edger-A...

plus string trimmer attachment $109
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-String-Trimmer-Attachment-for-EGO-Power-Head-System-STA1500/30...

Total $358

And yes HD online orders are 90 return eligible at any HD store
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

Thank you 'Szwoopp'.  I couldn't find that combination.  That should be perfect.  Just ordered it.  Much obliged.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,394 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Keep in mind that the powerhead may not reach its peak power level using the smaller 2.5 amp hour battery. I’m sure it will get the job done just fine, but edging may require some patience if it hasn’t been done in a while. Once the edge is established it should be fine.
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

The power head / edger and line trimmer arrived yesterday.  Looks like it's going to work fine.  Edged sidewalk and driveway in the afternoon.  No real issues except for EGO putting that edge guide that runs along sidewalk.  Don't need that with Echo or Stihl edgers, but I suspect it's to protect the Ego edger from overloading.  I'll get used to it.  Others have commented on the support handle being a little 'wimpy'.  I concur.

I have the 'rapid charger' that came with my 21" power mower.  Is it okay to charge the 2.5 AH battery using the rapid charger?  Reason I ask is that charger I have mounted on the wall of my garage.  Don't have room for another charger.  Thanks.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,570 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the update, Rick!

Absolutely, all Ego batteries, tools and chargers are compatible.
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

Thanks Blue Angel.  The answer I wanted to hear.

BTW, I spoke with HomeDepot.com about missing a receipt with shipment.  The guy @ HD says the only receipt is the email you get when you order.  I mentioned how great EGO products were and that I really liked the 21" power mower.  He said he has a Ryobi mower that's already failed.  I told him to check out 'KiteArmy's' review on those two products... EGO mowed 3 times more grass on the soccer field.
(Edited)
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

Update...
EGO combo (power head) edger, trimmer working fine. The handbook for the edger attachment says you can remove the ‘sidewalk edge guard’ so I did that. I think it works better that way. Seems to be less dirt stirred up. I’m able to edge sidewalk, driveway and then weed-eat around bushes and fence all on 1 charge of the 2.5 AH battery. My yard is only .22 acres.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the update Rick