Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,962 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

• 1,364 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Finally! Today has been a GREAT EGO day for me!
Photo of Tom Whitney

Tom Whitney

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Just ordered my MHC1502.  It will be here by 8/28.  Woot Woot!  Now I'll be able to tame the 15" of St. Augustine growing up my fence since May!!!
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I got my Home Depot email Friday but it says out of stock.
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Oh man, that's a bummer! I ordered mine the morning of August 19th and they were still in stock. They must have sold out shortly after that. Hopefully they get more in stock soon.
Photo of Amber F.

Tanquen, they trimmer and trimmer kit are both currently available on The Home Depot's site. 
Photo of Tom Whitney

Tom Whitney

I beg to differ...
Photo of Amber F.

I was referring to the previously mentioned models (STA1500 and MST1501). There are, however, plenty more of the edger/trimmer combo kits on the way this month (specific date unavailable at the moment). 
Photo of Tom Whitney

Tom Whitney

I appreciate the clarification.  The combo is what many of us were waiting for and for it to sell out in 2 days speaks volumes (I have over 30 yrs. exp. in supply chain and manufacturing, so I have at least half a clue).  :-)
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

The email I got was not even 24 hours old.
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

Give me a coupon code and I'll order them separate.
Photo of Phlip

Phlip

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi all

A few days ago I spoke with one of the Home Depot reps via the chat option (in the HD app), and he was kind enough to let me order the regular kit (sans edger) and the separate (and currently still available) edger and credited my account after ordering 10%. This brought the cost for both items to within $2-$3 of the kit with the edger. So you might try to see what HD can do for you while the individual components are still available.

FYI, my pole saw order still says "processing" as well.
Photo of Tom Whitney

Tom Whitney

It's now Tuesday morning 4 days after my order and it is still "processing".  Maybe HD could hire a couple of interns from Amazon to show them how to sell product!
Photo of greekbecky

greekbecky

• 708 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Well, it probably takes a day to communicate to Ego after they batch the orders, then Ego takes another day to review the orders after checking inventory, then another day to communicate to HD they can send out the ETA of shipment.  HD sends confirmation a couple says after that.  That said, I received my 'order processing' email on 8/17 and just received an email today that my order is on it's way, no communication in between.  Before I received conformation of shipment, I went to my HD account and my order wasn't even listed, go figure.
Photo of Tom Whitney

Tom Whitney

Seriously?  Sold out in less than 48 hours?  If true, someone at HD has a serious case of cranial rectal inversion!

Just glad I jumped on it when I saw it!
Photo of Tom Whitney

Tom Whitney

FWIW, my order is still showing "processing".  I ordered on the 18th...
Photo of Tom Whitney

Tom Whitney

Update:  As of 4:50 EDT, my order has shipped!  I was getting nervous there for a bit. I really NEED this trimmer and edger!  LOL . ETA is 8/28.  If they ship from Atlanta, it should be fairly quick as I'm in Central FL...
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Mine is still pending also, but showing delivery by the 29th. I won't worry about it yet since that's still 7 days away, but hopefully it changes to "shipped" in the next day or so.
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

My order just changed to shipped as well :)
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

Was looking on line just for the heck of it and it let me order the combo. ??? No email even though I selected to be notified again. Now where is the darn LM2022SP?
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Mine has officially arrived! :)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,686 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Congrats, you will love the Edger Attachment, as well as the Rapid Reload Head.  Happy cutting ... :-)
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Thanks David! I'm looking forward to trying it out :)
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

Just got mine today as well. Also got the pole saw and extension. Not tried it yet but it seems kinda heavy with battery.
Photo of Phlip

Phlip

Got mine last week and had a chance to try out the trimmer and edger. The trimmer is definitely more powerful than my old one (craftsman 19 volt). I was able to edge my driveway (90 ft both sides), and trim 3/4 of my yard (~1/2 acre) before the battery was done (full charge starting out, setting 2 for edging and 1 for trimming). I guess edging takes more juice, but I was kind of expecting to get a bit more out of a single charge. Will be curious to see how much time I can get from trimming only.

But I agree with your comment, it is heavier too. Would've been nice if they included the strap in this like they do with the blower.

All in all, I'm happy with it thus far.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Philip, which battery are you using?

Keep in mind that once you have established the trough left by the edger, subsequent edgings will require far less power from the tool.
Photo of Phlip

Phlip

I'm using the 5.0 that came with the kit. I figure it is the edging that drained it rather quickly, and that makes sense that it wouldn't drain as fast not having to dig the trench out again. I'm still going to be curious how long it goes with trimming only. Then once I get the blower, I'm sure that'll be a power hungry tool too (but hopefully more fun than my current little craftsman!)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I was using the 5Ah battery on the string trimmer attachment while clearing a new property of thistles.  They were about 1/4" thick at the base and the string trimmer was kicking butt and taking names!  The string was definitely the limiting factor.

As hard as I was pushing it (bordering on abuse, I'd say), it still lasted about 1/2hr of reasonably steady use on the 5Ah battery.  I did have to take breaks though, that was HARD work!

Let us know how it goes once you have your edges established.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Philip, I owned both the 15" Trimmer and the new Power Head & Edger Attachment.  My front yard is about 2,500 sq. ft. but less for the edges.  On the Power Head, I used setting #1 and that is more than enough for me.

That said; I used a 2.0 Ah battery to trim and edge my front yard without the Red Light coming on.  So basically, I always have enough juice leftover with my 2.0 Ah for both tools.  I have a feeling that once your trenches have been created, you should have more juice leftover with future edging and trimming.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

IMPOSSIBLE!!!  I call Photoshop on that sidewalk... no way that's real!

SWEET looking yard!  :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

I cut every Sunday, as this is the only day I have off from work.  That said; I will have my son video tape me so you can see that this is REAL - not Fake News Blue ... :)
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

New? Lots of water and fertilizer?
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Actually not new, but a 10 year old lawn with lots of TLC (regular watering and fertilizers), and of course, weekly grass cutting.
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

David your lawn looks AMAZING! 
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Thank you
Photo of Phlip

Phlip

Wow, that is a beautiful lawn!

So, after my second time using the trimmer/edger here are some follow up thoughts:

I definitely like the trimmer better than my old one. So much more powerful! This time I used it to trim off a small hillside on my back yard as well as edge another small part of my sidewalk. I had battery to spare. So I think the battery life for my uses will be plenty.

Thought 2: I think I'd like a blade on the trimmer for the larger "weeds." I know it's been discussed elsewhere, but here's to hopping the brush cutter attachment makes it's way to this side of the pond.

Thought 3: For my particular useage, I don't believe the edger is going to be a tool that I will need or use. My driveway and sidewalks sit above the grassline rather than below like the ever-so-fine example above and just trimming them with the trimmer does just fine for me. Might take the edger back and spring for the hedge trimmer.

Again, pleased with the system overall and would recommend.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Thanks for the great feedback, Philip! I'm hoping the brush cutter attachment makes it to market along with the pole hedge trimmer next year. I can certainly use both!
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

I just used my Power Head system for the first time. Here are my initial thoughts:

What I like:
  • This thing is powerful! I upgraded from the 12" EGO string trimmer, and for me, that already had more than enough power for my needs, so the Power Head system definitely has more than enough for me. I just need to adjust to the different size/feel of using this new trimmer. 
  • The Edger attachment is great too, I'm upgrading from an old Black and Decker corded EdgeHog. Just the mere fact that I don't have to drag around an extension cord and also don't have the hassle of winding it up when I'm done makes this purchase worth it. The edger also has more than enough power for me. I have a lot of yard to mow, but not many areas to edge, so I don't think I'll have any issues with the battery not having enough juice. 

What I Don't like:
  • Coming from the 12" trimmer, I'm going to need to adjust to the weight of this power head system with the larger battery (and it's also just an overall larger tool than what I have become used to). I'm probably a little smaller than average, so most users will likely not notice the weight. I bought the shoulder strap to use for next time, so hopefully that will make a big difference for me.
  • One thing I also don't like, is that my lawn doesn't look anywhere as good as David's does in the pictures he posted above, lol. Man, that's a great looking yard!
Overall,  very happy with this system and happy to have it in my EGO arsenal. I just ordered the pole saw attachment to go with it :)
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Thanks for the great feedback!

Regarding the weight, have you tried using it with the smaller battery? If your edges are established and you're just doing maintenance trimming, the smaller battery will likely work fine while removing some weight.
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

I finally use mine yesterday and it's way heavier than my old gas powered Ryobi.

If only there was some place where you could easily see the weight of the different batteries. Where oh where should that be?
(Edited)
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Blue Angel, yes, I will likely use some of my smaller batteries from time to time to reduce the weight. 
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

I wonder if they'd ever consider making a backpack kind of like the blower backpack but with just batteries, one or two and then a short light weight power cable with the same connector type to go to the tool. Might make using the hedge trimmer, Grass trimmer, pull saw and edger and so on, easier.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,096 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Tanquen - head across the pond or perhaps Ego will bring it here soon.
http://www.egopowerplusuk.com/products/56v-bax1300-backpack-battery.html
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

That's cool and all but not what I was really wanting.
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Tanquen, I actually think it might be. It just doesn't look like it because for some reason, they sell the backpack/harness separate. Not sure why you would offer a "backpack" battery, but then sell the backpack part separate:

(Edited)
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

No that is like $1000+ and don't use the batteries you already have.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,096 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Agree - a system like this that uses standard ego batteries would be a much better option.
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

The blower backpack is half way there. :)
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Ah, I see what you guys are saying now about how the product above differs from what Tanquen is describing. I'd be interested in something like that too.