Power Head System now available!

• Announcement
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

We are pleased to announce that the EGO Power Head System (multi-tool) is now live and for sale. Here is a link to see everything that's available so far: https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-head

A couple combo kits are still forthcoming in the next few weeks.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

• 1,544 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Can you give us an idea of what the combo kits will look like? I'd hate to wait a couple weeks and then end up ordering a la carte anyway. :)

There will be two combo kits.  One with a 5.0Ah battery, standard charger, power head and a string trimmer head.  The other will have the same as above plus an edger head.
Photo of Patt

Patt

• 416 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Are you able to let us know the price on each kit or we have to wait on the release date?

You'll have to wait on the release date for pricing. Sorry. :(
Photo of Christopher

Christopher

• 682 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Very anti-climatic. 
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

Are you planning on bundling the attachments at all? I don't really NEEEED an extra battery and charger, so if there's not going to be any bundles that way, a la carte it is! Or is that the PLUS an edger head mean that it'll come with the string trimmer and the edger?
(Edited)
Photo of MattW

MattW

• 1,476 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I don't see the brush cutter attachment that is available in Europe. It isn't mentioned in the manual for the powerhead either. Is that not going to be brought to the U.S.?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Not yet. The brush cutter and hedge trimmer attachments aren't yet being released in the U.S. Jennifer said in another post they're aimed for next year.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
According to Jennifer in one of her posts, the Hedge Trimmer attachment will not be available in the US until next year.  I was looking forward to that tool as well, but will have to use my current hedge trimmer and a ladder instead ...
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,318 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
It is a dead link on my mobile phone
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
So. The brush cutter according to the UK website looks like it bolts to the trimmer head.. I cannot confirm this but one kit comes with the trimmer head and the blade as a separate piece. Like it bolts to the trimmer head. I am not suggesting anything, just staying what I saw.
Photo of MattW

MattW

I noticed that as well.   
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,650 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I thought the same thing.  And was confused why it would not be released in the US if it is just a blade attachment
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

It might be like the long-anticipated high-lift mower blade. I think there are a lot of regulatory hoops to be jumped through to get some of these things approved in the U.S. But that's just speculation on my part.

Clark, no plan to bundle the attachment heads altogether without a battery and charger. The only combo kits are the two I listed earlier.

@Beth, please try again, the link is definitely good. Here it is again: https://egopowerplus.com/collections/...
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

That certainly makes sense Ken.  I guess motorized spinning blades need safety testing and approval.
Photo of steve albrecht

steve albrecht

• 60 Points
I tried purchasing it online with Home Depot and it is out of stock online and in stores. How else do I purchase it?
Photo of Julie

Julie

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Wish an announcement had come sooner about this line.  Last month I purchased a Greenworks pole saw which has a smaller blade than this new Ego product.  Last year I purchased the Ego trimmer and didn't even get a chance to use it yet.  I am a big fan of the Ego products and would have jumped at the chance for  a power head system.  At this point I would be duplicating the products I already have.  I'm disappointed .  I would have invested in the entire system.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Info has been out for at least 4 months on this forum, so it is unfortunate that you did not come across it. 

Do you still have the option to return the Greenworks pole saw ?
HD allows 90 day returns
(Edited)
Photo of Julie

Julie

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
No, unfortunately HD did not carry the Greenworks at this time and I wanted to get an early start on the trimming.  So I ordered from another online company.  Then the blizzard came. So no luck all around on this adventure. I had bought a Ryobi last year and returned it because it leaked terribly.  Before that I wrote to Ego asking if they were anticipating producing a pole saw.  So the timing was all off with this particular endeavor for me.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If the retailer you bought the other tools from is going to carry the power head system you might be able to explain the situation to the manager and get some sort of store credit that you could apply toward the power head and attachments.

I am fairly confident that an HD store manager would take care of you if you caught them on a good day.
I got a ego self propelled lawn mower. Loved it! 
So, I research the options for trimmers.  I finally decided that I wanted to get the Power head system with a trimmer to start. I went online to Home Depot and it now says it is sold out.  Wow, that was fast.
Your post says the kits will be available in a few weeks.  Is there a way to pre-order it? So I don't missed out again.
FYI. I called your customer service and waited about 1/2 hour until I decided to leave a message.  The mail box was full. So, I couldn't leave a message. So, I would really appreciate a response

Hi Tamra, we aren't offering pre-orders on the kits. They should be available by the end of April/beginning of May. The individual Power Head components are constantly being updated on Homedepot.com. Please check back soon.
Photo of Tomas Krynsky

Tomas Krynsky

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Wow I found this just at the right time, I've been hoping for an attachment system since last summer and thought I'd double check for an update this spring.  Is there any way to be notified once the kits come out?  I Need a trimmer, edger, and battery.
Photo of Faith

Faith

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Week 3 on "combo kits will be available in a few weeks"...  hopefully anytime now!
<insert Carly Simon's song Anticipation here>
Photo of Faith

Faith

Week 3 on "combo kits will be available in a few weeks"...  hopefully anytime now!
<insert Carly Simon's song Anticipation here>
Photo of BLUDODGE

BLUDODGE

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am so ready to buy these pieces individually and as soon as I do they will offer a kit. ANY information on what the bundles will look like?
Photo of Tim Kittrell

Tim Kittrell

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Why is this kit not out yet? My lawn is in full swing and its driving me nuts not having a string trimmer.  Got the hedge trimmer knowing this system will be out.  Im not to far away from taking my hedge trimmer to get a milwaukee unit(which i have tons of batteries for) and getting the kombisystem which has more attachments then I will ever need.  Really like the idea of not spending money on gas but have to do it for my blower anyways...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Tim, this late release is definitely an issue that has a lot of people frustrated. However, I do believe it will be worth the wait, especially if your other option is an 18V platform like the Milwaukee.

Check out this video, demonstrating the difference in power of the Ego, DeWalt 40V and Milwaukee Fuel 18V blowers:

https://youtu.be/SPwteSNhi84

OPE requires a lot of power, and as impressive as the 9.0HD Milwaukee battery is, it just doesn't have the energy of the larger platforms. I love Milwaukee, I have a pile of their M12 tools that I'm very happy with, and a buddy of mine just bought into their 18V stuff and he's thrilled with it. But for larger tools with higher power requirements, the bigger battery systems are the way to go.

Also consider price. The new Milwaukee OPE is far more expensive than Ego. Costs more, performs less, doesn't make much sense to me, especially when you consider that the smaller M18 batteries will really struggle even though they are "compatible".
Photo of Tim Kittrell

Tim Kittrell

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yeah why I originally went with the ego hedge trimmer. I want the edger so most likely wouldn't go for Milwaukee string trimmer just the hedge which I only use ocassionally. Then I would buy the stihl kombi system being I already need 2 stroke gas for my stihl blower. it has been raining all last week here So haven't made that jump yet but if this kit doesn't get released soon where I have to wait for shipping as well I don't have a choice and will just go with the stihl setup.
Photo of shedman

shedman

• 1,360 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Jennifer, can we get an update?

No update yet. When the kits are available, we will let you know.
Photo of Michael Perez

Michael Perez

• 108 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Jennifer, do you know if we are talking weeks or months? I am real close to returning the ryobi set i just bought. Had to go that way to be in one ecosystem. Love the EGO brand but I just couldn't justify the cost to piecemeal an EGO system together. Hoping the cost of the new kits are competitive. 
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,272 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
As far as we know, it’s more of a matter of weeks than months.
That is great news! I need it asap - our property renewal company is dedicated to the smallest carbon footprint possible.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Thats awesome to hear john. More people need to have this thought process.
Photo of Faith

Faith

Ok - I guess I'm confused.  All the components for a combo kit have been available for weeks now...  power head, attachments, batteries, and chargers are all available.  Is it that challenging to bundle them as a kit?  They don't even have to go into the same box.  :-/
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The engineers must be "discussing" the optimal box size and configuration for the combo kit. :-)
Faith - I think they released it quickly because the other li-ion brands were releasing adaptable units, and it may have been more to stay in step.

(a)Typical Engineer

Except that Ego's system is proprietary, and will not fit the Universal Attachments. :-(
Photo of Adam

Adam

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The only reason to wait for the kit is that it'll likely mean you basically get a 5Ah battery and charger for a very deep discount, right?

I don't understand Ego's pricing models. Bare tools almost always seem like a bad buy. I'm guessing the string trimmer kit with a 5Ah battery ends up being $400 or less, which means you get a 5Ah battery and charger for $150 vs $290 retail?

It'd be nice if they just offered early adopters a discount code for a 5Ah battery and charger or something. My lawn needs some serious love, but potentially saving $140 is worth waiting for imo. That's a whole other attachment, some string, and a pack of gum!
Photo of Zach Murray

Zach Murray

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Exactly, I'm hoping the kits are worth it in terms of the savings for bundling. I have the mower, charger and 2.5 battery so I'm not really interested in the charger although I'm sure it'll come with one.  I don't see a need for me to have 2 chargers.  But I am interested in the potential savings to get a bigger 5 or 7.5 battery to go along with it.  Hopefully it's worth it and we'll see them in the next week.  My hedges are looking brutal but I realize a hedger attachment is not happening
I think the rebate to early/ volume buyers is awesome! I need another rapid charger and 7.5 - I have bought the backpack, trimmer, SP mower, chainsaw and waiting to order other units until I can get the bigger battery. Both lawns we have are over an acre, and I provide mowing for my rental properties as well.
Photo of Tremayne Myles

Tremayne Myles

• 514 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Any updates on the kits that were spoken of several weeks ago?

(a)Typical Engineer

Offering some sort of rebate or promo package to early adopters would be a logistical nightmare; easier for early buyers to return to Home Depot within the 90 day guarantee period.
Photo of Evan Stange

Evan Stange

• 218 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Also looking forward to an update on the kit question!  I think the PH1400 and STA1500 with a 5.0 Ah battery would be a VERY popular "starter" option.  

I'd like to dive right in with an LM2102SP as well but want to try the accessories first to prove to myself they're worth the hype. After using Toro/Stihl/Echo for 20+ years I need some convincing on the battery options!  :)
Photo of Greg Geis

Greg Geis

• 206 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
That's one of the two kits they're coming out with, just no word as to when other than soon. Home Depot has a 90 day return policy on their battery powered equipment if that helps with the decision.

Depending on the size of the property and your needs, you might think about what battery combinations you might like in the end. The batteries have noticibly different weight from 2.5 to 5.0 to 7.5. I like having a couple 2.5 for my blower/ trimmer and a 5.0 for my mower or if I ever needed more power/run time. Not that the bigger battery is obtrusive, it does add some heft though. If my needs were different, it might change my preferences. Although if you ended up with the 7.5 and a 5.0 I can't imagine you would be disappointed.

If you get into the system, you've got to do yourself a favor and get a blower too. It is probably my favorite battery specific tool over any gas version. Depending on which kits you go with you can set yourself up with 2.5, 5.0 or 7.5 A-hr batteries to share among your systems. Just something to consider when you're starting out.
Photo of Carly G

Carly G

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Totally agree about anticipating your battery needs in advance, to help determine the best kits to purchase. I have started with the mower that came with the larger battery... looking forward to my next purchase (string trimmer). I just WISH they would confirm whether or not the release of a tiller/cultivator attachment is on their power head roadmap... then I'd know to just get the string trimmer as part of the power head kit now! I'm really enjoying the interchangeability that EGO offers!
(Edited)
Photo of Zach Murray

Zach Murray

Looks like they are giving a pretty good discount on the charger & battery with the kit, although I don't need 2 chargers.  I'll wait for the next one that comes with the edger as well.  Hopefully that's today or soon since they have released the first one.

Kit 1 - $350Power Head - $150Trimmer - $100Battery - $75 ($225 normally)Charger - $75 ($100 normally)
(Edited)
Photo of MattW

MattW

Yeah it looks like the Power Head kit is $30 more than the standard 15" trimmer with 5.0 battery. Not quite as bad as I feared given the markup on the tool only. Hopefully the +edger kit isn't $100 more.
Photo of Zach Murray

Zach Murray

Actually, after looking at the numbers and my needs, I'll end up paying more going with a kit + hedger instead of buying everything separately.  I need trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer & battery.  Going with Kit 1- power head, trimmer, battery, charger (I don't see the need for a second) + buying a hedger w/ no battery is $650 assuming the second Kit will be $100 more with the edger.  Buying a la carte - Power Head, trimmer, edger and hedger w/ 2.5 battery is $570.  The only difference is I wouldn't get a 5.0 battery and a charger which I don't need.  Don't think a 5.0 battery is worth spending an extra $80 on when I'm mowing my lawn in one charge with a 2.5.
Photo of Rick

Rick

• 1,094 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
The picture shows the rapid charger, but they have stated in the forums it is the regular charger I believe.
Photo of Zach Murray

Zach Murray

Correction, it looks like a 2.5 hedger isn't available online so I'll end up getting the one with 2.0 battery.  That'll save me an extra $100 instead of going with the kit which has the charger I don't need and a 5.0 battery which isn't worth an extra $100 to me.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Zach, is the 2.5 the only battery you have? If so, you might want to consider a larger battery. These tools take lots of power and the smaller batteries won't drive them all that well under heavy loads. Just my $.02 :-)
Photo of Zach Murray

Zach Murray

I do have the 2.5 battery and the 5.0 battery sounds intriguing to use with the mower so I can save the 2.5 battery for the power head.  But if I'm already going back to the garage to change out parts then I could be charging the batteries while others are in use and change out when I'm done trimming/edging/hedging.  And Rick is right it is the regular charger with the kit, not the rapid which I have with my mower.  So overall that's a savings of $40 if you need everything they are offering with the kit.  Angel, are you saying the tools won't work as well under a 2.0 or 2.5 battery or just not as long?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

You will want the 5 ah. Trust me. Worth every penny. The powerhead will drain a 2.5 and put alot ot load on it. Especially with the edger
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Zach, both. High power tools will go into overload protection (blinking orange on the mower) much easier with the small batteries, so you can't push them nearly as hard. Run times will be much shorter as well, but it sounds like that's less of a concern for you.
I'm hoping for a 7.5/rapid charger option on all items. Just got my blower in, chainsaw came w standard charge and 5 amp , can't justify purchasing anything else that doesn't have 7.5 and rapid charger. Both homes we mow are 1.5 + acres with trees and hedges everywhere. The standard chargers are too slow, and under 5 amps just doesn't make it.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Photo of Amber F.

Carly, we do not have a tiller planned at the moment.
Photo of Carly G

Carly G

Well that is unfortunate news... but good to know, thank you. Of course, since the work still needs to get done, it looks like it'll have to be a non-EGO purchase... sniff sniff...
Photo of Tomas Krynsky

Tomas Krynsky

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hey Amber, just my two cents that a tiller attachment for maybe next year would be a GREAT addition to the line up.  Really a natural extension of what the Power Head system can be used for.  I wouldn't be alone in wanting one if you're wondering if there's a market for this sort of attachment.
Photo of Tremayne Myles

Tremayne Myles

• 514 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
How long will the power heads be on backorder?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Per HD website they are currently in stock.  Only the edger is showing out of stock.
Photo of Greg Wong

Greg Wong

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Amber, I would like to add that I am in the market for a new trimmer to replace my gas-powered Honda and a multi-tool system that includes a tiller attachment is key. I am holding off since I believe the only battery-powered tiller option out there is a 40V product (I withheld the name). I need a string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and a tiller at least. Pretty please, with a chocolate chip cookie, consider adding a tiller attachment. My future garden will thank you immensely.
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

I'd second (third? fourth?) the need for a tiller. There's clearly a reason people buy it as a universal attachment. If the EGO 2K watt motor can handle it I'd buy it.

If you build it they will come.
Photo of Amber F.

We're passing all of your tiller suggestions along to the team. :-) 
Photo of Greg Wong

Greg Wong

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
And a hedge trimmer attachment, too, unless I missed that on the website. :) Thank you, Amber!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Hedge trimmer available in Europe.  Maybe 2018 for North America
Photo of H. Baron

H. Baron

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Just received my the power head, edger, and weed-eater...but it doesn't come with a battery...really??? Plus, the casing for the power-head was cracked upon delivery; Why not tell us the power-head doesn't come with the battery!
Does it maybe ship separately? If not, wow? Makes no sense
(Edited)
Photo of Zach Murray

Zach Murray

Baron, did you order the kit or ordered the power head, edger attachment and weed-eater attachment separately?  If separate then they do not come with a battery, the kit that came out yesterday does include a battery.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Baron, from Home Depot's website, the title of the Power Head listing:

"POWER+ Power Head - Battery and Charger not included"

:-)
(Edited)
Photo of H. Baron

H. Baron

Glad to see HD has updated its website...now what about those that didn't have that info 2 weeks ago?
Photo of H. Baron

H. Baron

And the kit is a relatively new item; it wasn't available when I ordered; glad I can return
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Another kit with both the edger and trimmer is soon to be released.  You may want to wait until that's available before heading in.
Photo of H. Baron

H. Baron

R&D and Merch pricing doesn't happen overnigt...Ego should release the pricing upfront to keep loyalty; another 2 weeks wasted
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Agreed that pricing should have been made available by now.  I have a feeling Home Depot had something to do with this debacle.  Given the demand for these items it's their worst Ego product launch yet.
Photo of Edgar Holguin

Edgar Holguin

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I currently own the string trimmer, will you offer a trade-up type program? I've been waiting for an edger from you guys so this is great news, however, I don't need two string trimmers just to get the edger. I need an edger something fierce! :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Edgar, the Power Head and Edger attachment are available separately, just for that reason. Then when you decide you need a Pole Saw, it's a simple attachment away. :-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 64,718 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I was in the same boat, but luckily a friend of mine was sick of dealing with the cord on her string trimmer, so she begged me to sell her my Ego 15-inch trimmer when she learned I was getting the new power head and trimmer.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,144 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Has any company ever offered a trade up program for tools? Just curious

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,402 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Milwaukee and Dewalt both do it, but they usually give you pennies on the dollar (so you're better off on Craigslist); but sometime they allow broken tool, so that makes it worth it.
Photo of Edgar Holguin

Edgar Holguin

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Ken, that's what I'm going to have to do. Hopefully I can find someone who can really appreciate the quality of the EGO products and buy the string trimmer off of me. I'm going to wait for the package deal that includes the edger as well.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The big power tool companies sometimes have a "trade-in-trade-up" type of event where you can bring in a used copy of a competitor's tool and get reasonable credit towards a new tool from their platform.  A clever way to get people to switch!
Photo of BLUDODGE

BLUDODGE

If they are smart they will offer a bundle pack with the power unit, edger and saw, for use guys that have the trimmer already. I don't want a kit that will force me to buy a 2nd trimmer. Hopefully they are reading this.
Agreed, there are two other companies that allow the power head to take universal attachments; proprietary attachments are not a consumer-friendly (or eco-friendly to be honest) approach to a multi tool. My goal is a smaller carbon footprint, not a bigger one.
Photo of Amber F.

• 67,812 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
BLUDODGE, yes, we are reading this and will pass your suggestion along.

(a)Typical Engineer

Home Depot order for a PH1400 and STA1500:
placed 4/8-Sat,
order shipped 4/10-M
estimated delivery 4/13-Thur!
(Edited)
Photo of Aaron K

Aaron K

• 412 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Right behind you, I'm expecting my Power Head and Pole Saw attachment this Friday. Looking forward to your impressions!
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

Pencil me in for Friday too....too much fun planned for the weekend! Trimmer and edger here
Photo of Christopher

Christopher

• 682 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
wow, that's fast....I didn't complete my order because it said it wouldn't deliver till the 18th....after Easter weekend and party....so figured i could just wait out the combos.
Photo of xnappo

xnappo

• 408 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Mr. Engineer - I assume you will let us know the possibility of converting to use standard attachments?
Photo of xnappo

xnappo

I see that has already been answered, and compatibility is a no-go without some hackery.

(a)Typical Engineer

The hackery will commence this weekend!

Photo of xnappo

xnappo

I suspected that would be the case :D

(a)Typical Engineer

(Edited)
Photo of Alice Simpson

Alice Simpson

• 838 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I wish I'd known EGO was going to come out with a the Power Head system when I bought a string trimmer a month ago, because I also need a pole saw.  If I had known, and if EGO comes out with kits that include a 5.0Ah battery, I would have waited and bought the Power Head with trimmer and pole saw attachments, for presumably less money than buying the trimmer and then the Power Head and pole saw in addition.  I've only used the trimmer once.  Could I return it?  I wouldn't be saving any money, however, if EGO does not offer Power Head kits that come with a battery and charger. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,628 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Home Depot has a 90 day return policy.

There will be kits with the 5Ah battery, one with the string trimmer and one with the string trimmer and edger I believe, but pricing and availability are not yet known. "Very soon" is all we know.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,440 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That would be a good plan, especially if you still have the box for the trimmer. The power head kits should be announced soon. Just hang tight for a few days and see what they offer, then make the exchange if it's worthwhile.

I haven't used the pole saw yet but it looks really solid. The edger and the string trimmer are beasts.
Photo of Alice Simpson

Alice Simpson

Will Home Depot take back stuff w/in 90 days even if used?  I'd clean it up of course, get all the dead grass off, but it's not "brand new, never used" anymore.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yes, they take things back if you're not satisfied for any reason, is my understanding.
Photo of Patt

Patt

I used it one time, clean, put back in thebox. They didn't even open the box.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,440 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I initially bought Ego's 12-inch trimmer and used it several times before deciding the 15-inch trimmer was a better choice for me. I cleaned it up as best I could but it was obviously used. HD took it back without any problem.

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,582 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I did the same with the 12" trimmer, after receiving the 15" trimmer via special order, I returned the 12" to HD.
Yes, to be competitive and worth trading out components for multiple jobs, at least a 5 amp, if not the 7.5 and rapid charger or an upgrade to it.
Photo of Alice Simpson

Alice Simpson

When will the extension pole for the pole saw be available?  I don't see it at Home Depot yet.  And with the extension pole, what's the total length of the pole saw?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The extension is available now on Amazon. I don't have the total length spec.
Photo of Amber F.

• 68,164 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It will also be at Home Depot verrrrrrrrry soon. The saw is 10" and the pole is 40" long.

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,582 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

I did some digging around and you kind of have to piece this answer together...

1) Per the HD site, the pole saw PSA1000 has a pole length of 38", and an assembled height of 56".  The difference (56 - 38 = 18"), so that probably the mid-point of the power head.

2) If you look at the specs for the PH1400 on the HD site, it lists the total length as 38", half of which is 19"; so the above 18" seems about the mid-point of the tool.

3) The pole saw extension is listed as 31", so if you add that 1) above, the total reach of the pole saw WITH EXTENSION should be 87" (56 + 31), or 7-1/4 feet from the middle of the power head to presumably the mid-point of the 10" cutting bar.

References:

1) http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-10-in-Pole-Saw-Attachment-for-EGO-Power-Head-System-PSA1000/301276692...

2) http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-10-in-Pole-Saw-Attachment-for-EGO-Power-Head-System-PSA1000/301276692...

3) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5UZQL9/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Photo of Robert

Robert

• 60 Points
Will the hedge trimmer attachment also be available in a few weeks?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Possibly next year, but not guaranteed at this point.
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

• 1,874 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
As happy as I am with my shiny new set of EGO  tools, and I jumped on the power head system the day it was released, I am perplexed by the fact that the Hedge Trimmer attachment is iffy at this point.

Whats the point of this half-baked release of an otherwise great product ?

I assumed the missing attachments would be added in a few days - not in a few years, and that too not definite: if the powers-that-be decide that the US would be granted the rest of the set.

If I had know this, I would have thought again about going for the entire power head set.

All around my house and yard I have a great deal of hedges and I gave away my old trimmers et al confident that a complete set is a no-brainer.

So now I am supposed to trim hedges with the pole saw looking as idiotic as using a chain saw on a pole to trim a hedges and bushes, leave alone that the manual says not to use the  string trimmer for anything beyond 5" of grass ??  I do have shears but like I said its a great deal of work in my yard.

Mind you I am not hear to shoot the messenger, but where else would I rant about EGO before I sadly repackage everything to be returned just because one measly attachment (which should be the same throughout the world) is not available in the US ??
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,860 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I seriously think its government regulations. Perhaps the blade for the tool needs certification to be sold here in us and canada. The chainsaw has an oregon blade, so does the pole saw. The trimmer uses the current trimmers head. The blade edger probably uses another company's blade or it was certified fast as its a flat piece of metal,

But the high lift blade, hedge trimmer attachment, brush blade are all more proprietary...

Maybe.

• 81,008 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Twiteroo, we're sorry you are disappointed that we are unable to offer every single thing that was also offered in Europe for the Power Head. The three Power Head attachments we have available this year are just a starting point and we're working hard to have more available in the future but nothing else (head attachment-wise) is slated for this year.
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

Thats fine, but I wish I had know this or they mentioned it in the power head page, I thought it was just a not-immediately-in-stock yet thing...my bad for assuming
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

Would it work if I ordered from an EU site ? I dont mind paying the extra just to keep my EGO tools ! Or guess I will just get the stand-alone for now..just in case the family also gets excited with using EGO tools and wants to join me landscaping :) Nice business strategy on their part I guess lol
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,860 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I would bet you could. If ya find a source that will sell them to us here, share it please.
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

I will, but thing is last time I tried scouring in EU sites (when the US was deprived of the power head) via their EGO domains, it led me to Irish/other EU sites where none seemed as polished as HD, and the good ones  didnt even stock most EGO products and I quickly gave up before I ended up ordering fake drugs and the like.

Which makes me wonder who their biggest market is and whether their EU B&M market is bigger than their online counterparts.

This calls for a visit to the EU. I can bring back a ton of these...who's in ?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I think the confusion started when pictures were posted here from the EU sites, which showed the pole hedge trimmer and brush cutter attachments.

I never thought to ask if some of those attachments wouldn't be available.
Photo of BLUDODGE

BLUDODGE

can be found on amazon

Photo of David Miles

David Miles

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am trying to wait for them to make a combo package with all the attachments and no battery or charger. I all ready have the blower and mower. 2.5, 5.0, and 7.5 AH batteries. Hope it is soon.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 102,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Jacob, the new "multi-tool" power head has two settings (1 and 2).  In your video, did you use setting 1 or 2, just curious?  Given the tremendous amount of power this new power head is offering, I wonder if you need to go up to setting 2 at all .... :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

It has 1 and 2. But I only see 2. Lol I used 1 sometimes. I haven't confirmed if it is a series parallel wound motor or not so more speed vs torque. I don't know if brushless motors can do that. Time to take it apart lol
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

Now THAT is power beyond belief. Give the mower more juice!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Incredible! Can't wait to try one of these out!

Thanks for sharing!
Photo of Greg Geis

Greg Geis

So what did you think between the power head and 15" trimmer? Noticibly more power on tap? How is the weight/balance different?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Ok so this is a hard one tof answer. The 15" trimmer is amazing....... lol... but think of it on steroids. Like 3x power. Seriously it's the definition of overpowered.

Balance was great. It handled really well. Felt heavier than the 15".

The 15" is beyond amazing for a trimmer. The trimmer head on the multi tool should come with a warning. Lol
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

Overkill is underrated !
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Agreed
Photo of Patt

Patt

As of now, EGO POWER+ Power Head - Battery and Charger not included is out of stock online. Wow.

(a)Typical Engineer

Looks like they are selling like hot cakes! =)

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That was quick!
Photo of Amber F.

• 67,812 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Stock is constantly being updated! Please check back soon.
(Edited)
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 70 Points
Is the hedge trimmer coming?  I see it available elsewhere in the world, but not the US...?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

2018 for the hedge trimmer and brush cutter here.
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,318 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
That's the unit I want. For now will have to use the hand held model I own
Photo of Dee

Dee

• 60 Points
Just to make sure the Power Head system uses a proprietary system right? I can't use it with the pole saw, edger, hedger, etc. that I already own right? If so that is a bummer and will result in the blower being the only Ego tool I'll likely ever own as I am not going to repurchase every attachment that I already own that already work with my gas and other battery powered trimmers.

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,412 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have a picture of the SPLINE drive shaft posted in what of the Multi-Tool threads.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Now if ego just made an attachment adapter.......

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Dee, you are correct. It's a proprietary system that will only work with EGO attachments.
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

• 1,844 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Is there an open source system ?? What does Dee mean by proprietary system ? I will be blown away if B&D/EGO/Ryobi/Deere/etc made their systems with an agnostic power head lol...does she want gas attachments to work with cordless heads and vice versa ? Jacob's attachment adapter...now there's an idea that beats going to Mars...

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,412 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
"Universal Trimmer Attachments", they have been around for probably 20 years; all the vendors you listed make attachments, and you can pretty much use most of them with the "attachment capable trimmer head" you own.  That is a non-proprietary system, specific to that would be any of those companies can develop an attachment and they do not have to license the use rights for the interface, which in this case is the 0.200" square drive shaft.  There is a vendor on Amazon that came out with a Lithium-Ion battery powered head, which would run the Universal Attachments.  If Ego did that, they would have sold a million Power Heads...

.... but Ego chose to go with a proprietary spline drive shaft.  Here are the details:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Correct, Ego's Power Head is not compatible with other brands of attachments.
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

Consider selling your current tools on craigslist. 4 years ago I bought a husqvarna power head for $130 (with weed wacker), then purchased an edger and hedge trimmer attachment for a grand total of $240. 2 days after I got the new ego stuff I sold all my old stuff for $215. Granted I don't yet have the hedge trimmer. But the upgrade cost for me looks to be about $125 from gas to electric. I can deal with that any day of the week.
Photo of Lachlan Rogers

Lachlan Rogers

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is this available in Australia yet?  If not, when is it expected?

Lachlan, we're not sure on the Australian release. Please email their support at support@egopowerplus.com.au.
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

The Roos dont like eco-friendly systems yet, Maite !
Photo of Brandon Shermer

Brandon Shermer

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The only downfall is that it seems to be out of stock since it first was put on HomeDepot's site... Is the stock that short? I got the email from EGO and couldn't even snag one up.

(a)Typical Engineer

They were released for sale on 4/8 (see my post above in this thread).

Brandon, stock is being updated all the time. We're not showing anything as sold out right now. Which tool were you trying to get?

There are more available and this should show as in stock tomorrow. The stock is being updated as I write this.

(a)Typical Engineer

PH1400, back in stock today!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Yeah, crazy how fast they sold out.. wonder how many they had...
Photo of Zach Murray

Zach Murray

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Hedge Trimmer with Power+ Head System.

It's great that you are offering the Power Head w/ interchangeable components!  I bought the mower last month and was going to struggle to use the trimmer as an edger, but with the edger an option that will make life easier.  I will still need a trimmer and I'm desperate for a hedge trimmer as they are getting out of control.  Any chance that you will add a separate hedger attachment to this?  

I'm trying to wait for the combo kit to become available but the hedges may get too crazy and I'll have to buy anyway.  For what it's worth I'd be interested in the Power Head, trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer and battery as a combo.  Don't need the charger as I already have one from buying the mower.  Thanks in advance for your response
Photo of Zack

Zack

• 524 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I can tell you the current model hedge trimmer is a must buy! Well balanced, lightweight and tons of power. Couldn't be happier. Would be impressive if EGO could somehow make a hedge trimmer attachment comparable to the current model.
(Edited)
Photo of Eric Dahn

Eric Dahn

I have and LOVE my ego mower, blower, and snowblower.  I LOVE the idea of this multi-tool, but the pricing does not make sense to me.  In order to have a weedeater/edger combo, it would cost me $350 (with no battery/charger!!!...although I don't need them)!!  That just does not seem financially responsible, considering other cordless weedeater/edgers are signifcantly less.  Is the Ego better...most likely...but $200 better????  What am I missing???  I somewhat feel duped after investing a good bit of money in the other Ego products.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you need both a trimmer and an edger, you'd be better off waiting for the kit that includes both plus a battery and charger. It will be available in a couple weeks.
Photo of Zach Murray

Zach Murray

That's the answer I'm looking for, Jennifer can you confirm you're coming out with a hedger for the power head system?  I can hold off a few more weeks if that's the case.
Photo of Zack

Zack

Blue Angel, I'm still having a very hard time justifying the cost. It's $250 for the head and one attachment, regardless of a battery and charger kit. Typically attachment kits are meant to save the consumer money, not the other way around. The only excitement is making the edger and pole saws available. Like the trimmer, if each tool was made available independently there would be no interest in an overpriced modular series.

Eric, I'm right there with you. I love my mower, blower and hedge trimmer but it only makes sense to take my money elsewhere for the rest of the yard equipment. The price point is really a let down.
(Edited)

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ego's closest competitor to the PH1400 is the Kobalt 80v String Trimmer (universal attachment capable), with 2.0AH battery and charger, for $200 (was $250).  So at $260 for the bare tool equivalent, and an estimate $350-400 for the entire kit (actual price TBD); they have possibly lost any potential market shares given that the Kobalt *IS* already universal attachment capable. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-Volt-Max-16-in-Straight-Brushless-Cordless-String-Trimmer/5039498...

IMHO, Ego has the better platform, and they would do themselves well to offer an adapter for $50 (OR LESS), to allow universal attachments to be used with the PH1400.

Disclaimer: I own the Kobalt 80v, as well as the PH1400/STA1500; and I'm tinkering with making an adapter while I wait for Ego to develop one.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Zack, I hear you... $250 for what is essentially a bare tool is pricey.  If the availability of other attachments doesn't improve the value proposition for you, well, then you have a choice to make.

I, for one, have never owned an edger.  Honestly, I didn't even know what an edger was until Ego's customers started asking for one here.  Now that I know and have seen what they do, I'm excited to own one.  I already own the 15" string trimmer, but lucky for me I've bought a property to build a house and will have lots of use for the other attachments offered.  From my point of view, having the edger and pole saw will bring the value of the PH system up, and if Ego releases the pole hedge trimmer then I believe the kit will be more than justifiable.

That's from my perspective, anyway.  Everyone will see things differently based on their own situation. :-)
Photo of xnappo

xnappo

For me it is the lack of compatibility.  I have $400 worth of standard attachments(trimmer, edger, pole saw, hedge trimmer, blower, tiller), and would have been willing to pay a premium for the power of the EGO system - but not willing to replace them all and don't really feel like hacking something together.  I was saving the box from my Ryobi head and 5Ah battery - but ... probably going to recycle it.

(a)Typical Engineer

Speaking of hackery, I started looking at how to cobble together an adapter.  While I could take my old TroyBilt gas head and cannibalize the parts from it, I'm trying to work on a solution where by Joe Q. Public can walk into a hardware store with a list of stuff to buy and bolt it together in an afternoon.  I should have a working prototype by next weekend.

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/technical-review-ph1400-multi-tool-spline-drive-non-co...
(Edited)
Photo of Ben

Ben

• 568 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I was so excited for this system, but I am not sure I can justify that premium.  $250 for a single tool with no battery.  The 15" string trimmer with a battery is only $200.  How does that make any sense? 
Photo of Rick

Rick

Because the packages aren't out yet.
Photo of Zack

Zack

Rick, are you assuming a battery and charger kit will be cheaper than the bare tool?
(Edited)
Photo of Rick

Rick

I am assuming the bare tools plus battery and charger will hopefully be reasonably priced. If I had to guess, the string trimmer will probably be in the 300-350 neighborhood with 5aH battery and charger.
(Edited)
Photo of Zack

Zack

The 5ah battery and rapid charger have been adding approx $150-200 over the bare tool. A realistic price point looks closer to $350-450. The lower price exception appears to be the mower, which is typically the product that hooks the consumer.

The string trimmer bare tool is down to $130, probably cheaper if the power head system takes off. 
Photo of Eric Dahn

Eric Dahn

I already have several batteries and a rapid charger from the other tools.  I need a trimmer and edger.  If I go power head/trimmer/edger combo, it is $350.  Knowing that I do NOT want or need another batter and charger, I would like to be able to acquire a BARE TOOL power head/trimmer/edger combo that will be less than $350!  There should be some incentive and reward for being a loyal customer.
Photo of Eric Dahn

Eric Dahn

I lean towards just a bare tool string trimmer and then using it for edging as well.
Photo of Zack

Zack

I'm right there with you Eric, I'll most likely snag an EGO string trimmer bare tool. The only difference is I'll probably pick up an edger. The roots or stolons that spread out of St Augustine grass don't play nice with string trimmers! I could feasibly end up with both tools for under $200
Does anyone have any concrete costs for the kits yet?
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,744 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Not yet, just speculations from different members. Will get an Official Announcement from EGO once it is available ... :-)
Photo of nigeldh

nigeldh

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Waiting for Power Head kits at Home Depot. I want the power head, trimmer, battery w/charger in one package.
Photo of NC Man

NC Man

I'm disappointed with the bundles being offered. I understand situations differ but both bundles include the string trimmer (have one, don't want another). I want the edger to start and will likely add other attachments when needed

I think another bundle should be offered. Bundle the PH with a battery/charger, no attachments. And it should cost only a little more than the PH sells for now, $149 bare is steep. Maybe $169 with a 2.5 battery. And the attachments for $79, not $99. 
Photo of FF234

FF234

• 70 Points
If I was to buy the trimmer that Home Depot sells, could I purchase the extension pole and replace the piece that attaches the power unit and trimmer with the quick connect from the extension pole and essentially have a trimmer I could convert to an edger with the edger attachment? That could save some money and provide a battery and charger.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,626 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The First Generation 15" trimmer will not work with the new attachments.  You would need to buy a "separate" Power Head, in order for you to use the different attachments.  The main difference is that the "newer" Power Head has the motor built in at the end of it, whereas the First Generation trimmer, the motor is at the other end by the bump head.
Photo of FF234

FF234

• 70 Points
These are the pieces I'm talking anout replacing

Which would essentially turn the trimmer into a power head that could use attachments
(Edited)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

That extension was built for the newer Power Head and Attachments, not for the First Generation trimmers.  See picture below for your reference:

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

And here is the link to Amazon.com where you can buy the extension for the new Power Head (see link and picture below):

https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-EP7500-Extension-Attachment/dp/B01N5UZQL9/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?...

Photo of Carly G

Carly G

Looking for a tiller option... chance that's on eGo's Devi roadmap??
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 64,718 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
From your lips to Ego's ears. I dread every time I have to try to start my old gas tiller. It's small, and does a great job once it's running, but it's old enough to be a pain the start, especially at the beginning of the season.

I'd buy an Ego tiller on Day 1.

(a)Typical Engineer

Look at the Euro site if you want to see where Ego is headed.  It could be a good match for an electric motor (vs. gas) driven tool since the DC motors have lots of torque, which is exactly what you need for this application.
Photo of Joseph Cramer

Joseph Cramer

• 60 Points
I would buy a tiller on Day 2 after I ask my wife. I long for a tiller for the flower beds more than for the farm. Too big would be too much.
Photo of Don Waller

Don Waller

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have not seen a clear answer.  I am in need of an additional battery and I want the power head with edger and/or pole saw.  I do not need the string trimmer, since I have one.  I only fine one power heat/battery kit, but it is a 2.0 amp hour batter.  I want at least 4 if not the 7.5.  Is there a plan with times of if/when power head kits with larger batteries (and not the string trimmer) will be released?  I have a mower, chain saw, and the string trimmer and have been very happy with all the products.
No worries Don, if Ego doesn't use this feedback - the cheapest and cleanest data set they will ever have, then someone else will build universals to retrofit Ego. They know it, and that's why they built this forum. Keep it up!
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I believe the battery included with the kits will be the 5.0Ah. When they will be available is anyone's guess.
Photo of Greg Geis

Greg Geis

They already told us why the kits will include and both will include the string trimmer (if I understood correctly). I think a lot of people are in the same boat of already having a trimmer.

It would be grant if Ego did a "build your own bundle" since they have expanded their lineup. Something where you get $50 off or so if you buy x number of pieces together. I'm not holding my breath, but it seems like a promotion like that would make sense.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,032 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

(a)Typical Engineer

@John Charles Kershner, given that other manufacturer's have already spent the last 10-15 years building Universal Trimmer Attachments, I do not see them investing again in Ego's product line, especially given that it is proprietary.  They would sooner develop their owner Li-Ion powered attachment capable head.
Photo of Rick

Rick

Not sure why Ego went proprietary on this as it offers no real advantage other than locking Ego Powerhead owners into an Ego ecosystem.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.