Power Head System alternate attachments?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

So here is a question.  While waiting for either Home Depot or EGO to get products into the pipeline for USA buyers, will other string trimmer attachments, such as from TrimmerPlus, work with this Power Head System?  Are they compatible, or did EGO use a proprietary design?
Photo of Rich Z

Rich Z

• 782 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's 100% proprietary. Sucks huh.
Photo of Rich Z

Rich Z

It's 100% proprietary. Sucks huh.

Yes, that it is...... I'm kind of feeling like the honeymoon is over with.  :(
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,318 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I would prefer Ego developed a system that can use existing attachments from Ryobi, Echo, Toro, Etc as well as their own.

Manufacture a superior product, offer a Gizmo the other companies do not have or be competitive on price but the power head should be compatible with other product lines in my opinion.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Totally agree. Especially because the supply chain is suffering right now.
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,318 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Amber,

Do you feel the supply problems will be resolved by next spring with Home Depot? Also will Ego put together a merchandising aisle like they do with Echo where a larger variety of your tools is in stock and availability le to purchase? I love the product and as an employee it is much easier to sell an item when it is right there to touch and demonstrate.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The "supply problem" was Home Depot underestimating demand and not ordering enough units. Ego can't make HD take inventory it doesn't want.

I also suspect Home Depot has most of the say in how to use its aisle space. And they seem lackluster when it comes to promoting or even stocking Ego.

Most of the Home Depots near me (three out of four) still have the wrong Ego leaf blower as a display model. And when I was shopping for my first Ego weed trimmer the employee helping me wasn't aware they carried Ego weed trimmers, and he was leaning against the Ego display model at the time.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Lol - my local HD had the wrong blower on display too until recently, and I had pointed it out to them a long time ago!
Photo of OtisMyMan

OtisMyMan

• 442 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
10" Pole Saw attachment now available at THD Online.  Just got mine ordered.
Photo of OtisMyMan

OtisMyMan

Don't understand those who continue to perpetuate the story about THD underestimating demand and not ordering enough units.  The entire domestic market is out of Ego products and THD doesn't order for anyone but their RDC's and Flow Centers.

They are the seller, not the marketer nor the manufacturer.  All sellers place orders based upon inventory caps (low/high), depletion/build rates and thus demand.  If the supply chain, be it distribution, logistics, parts, materials, manufacturing capacity, labor shortages/issues, etc. cannot keep up, it is a SUPPLY problem.  Simple as that.  THD can't fix this by better order estimations, it gets fixed by expanding SUPPLY.  No fault other than an extremely satisfied and exuberant market!  Good for everyone unless it continues and repeats itself come next season, then it's bad for the customer and then bad for all.  Key to this outdoor equipment business is SEASONAL, therefore demand will peak starting early spring and fall come fall.  SUPPLY must prepare accordingly.  I HATE TYPING CAPS! 
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I agree. If Home Depot ordered one million Power Head systems and had them in stock, they would have no issue SUPPLYING the customer with product.

If lead time for an order is three months and the retailer runs out of product, it will take three months to have more product available. Sounds simple enough to me. Ego doesn't have a vast network of supply chains servicing dozens of retail distributors like some companies do... you can't just tap into an artery somewhere and siphon off some product at will.

Anyway, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
Photo of OtisMyMan

OtisMyMan

You obviously have no clue how supply chain management and logistics works in supplying big box retail. Supply chain is not a batch process but rather a continuous one reliant upon distribution and inventory management. And no, not THDs inventory but rather Ego's. Ego is obviously not equipped at this time to service this channel and the wholesale channels they are committed to. BTW, THD sells, Ego supplies. Big bad Home Depot, how dare they not order enough and keep this in stock! How dare they refuse revenue and delivered profit margin to their shareholders. Give me a break...
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,770 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Otis apparently has been assimilated by the BORG.

No clue Blue - has a ring to it  ;)

I am off to perpetuate the story - have a nice weekend y'all and remember using Ego equipment is more fun than arguing about
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Otis, so what you're saying is that every single product HD sells follows the exact same supply chain model, from Lumber to light bulbs, and you know this for a fact?
Photo of OtisMyMan

OtisMyMan

No-Clue-Blue, not sure how you interpret my words in this manner, but it does seem to reconcile with your overly simplistic rationalization of logistics and supply chain and lack of understanding of this subject in whole.  So, no I would not make such an asinine statement such as yours.  However, I do know that successful suppliers to big box retail (THD, Lowes, Menards, etc.) must be able to manage a complex logistics and distribution enterprise in order to maintain this business and the expectations that these companies have as they do not accept just anyone to either put a product on their shelves or take space within their online services.

The successful companies manage logistics both internally and through contracted 3rd party logistics companies (3PL's).  They must have the ability to move product and manage product inventories through their own warehouses and flow centers and then into the big box regional distribution centers (RDCs) for in-store stocking.  Online services in my case requires me to manage stocking and direct ship to customers as tendered through THD website sales.

I move just under $1BB of merchandise annually through big box retail, another $500M through two step lumber dealers and just under $2BB through wholesale building material distributors.  Roughly 3% of my goods are private labeled and third party manufactured in China.  I have to reconcile the production capacities in the factories located in Guangzhou and Hangzhou with the shipping and lead times to get containers over the water from Shanghai, into the port of Long Beach and into my west coast warehouses.  From there product is shipped to company owned distribution centers and domestic manufacturing locations and ultimately to the big box RDC's.  Inventory must be managed throughout the enterprise, load in times continually measured and adjusted (carriers, freight lanes, modes, etc.) and ultimately manufacturing ramped up/down and inventory caps adjusted high/low to accommodate the dynamics of demand impacted by seasonal need, storm demand, housing starts, economic upturns/downturns etc.

I am a manufacturer of building materials, not lawn/garden equipment.  I don't pretend to know what the failures are of those that cannot manage a steady supply to the sellers, be it retail or wholesale channel related.  I do both and am very successful.  If I weren't, I would not survive a product line review and would not have shelf space in these stores and/or be administered service interruption fines based upon my supply contracts. I also know what happens when the market channels get overextended to the point that managing the unique requirements of wholesale conflict with the service demands of retail.  This in my opinion is where Chervon is struggling. A growing market only makes the struggles even more visible.

The issues throughout all these conversations in this blog are not isolated to THD, but lack of availability domestically across the board.

Pick a subject you know something more about otherwise you will continue to look foolish...

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Otis, I claim no knowledge of supply chains nor big box retailers, only a smattering of common sense. 

How would you reconcile / explain HD being out of stock on product in a weeks time after 2 months wait.  i.e. power head components have been out of stock for some time.  Recently came back in stock and within a week are out of stock again.  To me this says they underestimated demand and did not order enough.

And as to why everyone is out of stock.  If HD represented 90% of my sales (due to their exclusivity deal) I would certainly base my production runs on their orders.
Photo of OtisMyMan

OtisMyMan

You must work for my competition. I run circles around them too. 
Photo of OtisMyMan

OtisMyMan

NCB - look up the word allocation and the meaning as related to supply. That may make the scenario you describe understandable.  
Photo of James D Linley

James D Linley

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
szwoop:  HD has the powerhead edger and trimmer attachments in stock at this moment, and have had them available online for the past week.  
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I got an email for the combo and then when I checked it was already gone. I guess maybe they got three or four of them.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Otis,
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Otis. There is no need to be so condescending. It's insulting and unnecessary.

I do understand your position and have no argument against it.

Let's keep this helpful please.

Thanks for the insight into how complex distribution is. I found it verify informative. I am being serious.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

James - the pole saw is out of stock again
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,272 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
EGO's Power Head system was intentionally developed this way to ensure optimized performance and run time. There would be no way to guarantee performance and motor life, or a warranty for that matter,  by developing the system to accept attachments from multiple manufactures.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I would prefer Ego develop tools that are the best they can be rather than compromise and be just a variation on what is already on the market.

If I wanted a Ryobi I would have bought a Ryobi.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Robert Fox

Robert Fox

• 70 Points
Just ordered edger and string trimmer from home depot. Both are back in stock
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

All out of stock. I did the email thing and got a notice Friday but read my email this morning and it says.."Out of stock online"

Can't get the mower or other items either. :(

Can those of us dumb enough to play this game get a 10% coupon or something?
(Edited)
Photo of Robert Fox

Robert Fox

• 70 Points
Just went to HD website. Showing them in stock as of 6:31pm 
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

My email was for the trimmer edger combo.
Photo of Rich Z

Rich Z

Well, you know, I had the pole saw attachment marked for Home Depot to contact me when it became available, but I was checking their website every day anyway. Never did get any notice from them about it.  But I ordered one on 08-17, which was immediately when I saw it as being available. It was still marked as being available on 08-18, so I am presuming my order got in there in plenty of time and their website is denoting in stock items in real time.

But now it is marked as "out of stock online" again. So I am glad I did not procrastinate.  However, I'm not sure how well I will take it if they send me a "Sorry Charlie" email about them not having one to send me.  Personally I don't really care who is at fault.  If it is Home Depot's fault, then EGO needs to change who they are doing business through.  If if is EGO's fault, well, EGO needs to change how they are doing business.  Either way, the ball is squarely in EGO's court.   After all, it is THEIR business that is getting all the bad press concerning these shortages.  People are just going to go to another manufacturer to get what they want when they want it.  EGO will be the one going out of business, not Home Depot.

I guess I could walk out to the garage and look, but isn't this stuff from EGO all made in China anyway?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Agreed 100%.

Yes made in China.
Photo of OtisMyMan

OtisMyMan

Chervon Nanjing, China 

http://www.chervon.com.cn/
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
In an effort to keep this conversation on topic, we are now closing this thread to further comments.  The question has been answered.  We understand your frustration with supply and please know that we take that seriously. Our Power Head System is not designed to accept any other after-market heads, at this time.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.