Power Head Speed button- not the trigger

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Wondering how that speed button on the Powerhead really works. I see the explanation of a 6k, 7k MAX on another thread but.... that's not really an answer as the PH has a variable speed trigger able to accomplish almost the same....
The manual offers very little description explanation

Is it a reduction gear- guess not by the flimsy feel....(but it should be!) so higher torque attachments that need less speed but more torque-could really benifit and not stress the motor as much- especially job dependent.
 I mean edging black earth is easier than edging on clay, hedge trimming cedars is tougher than say tramming a  hydrangea bush . and yes I do realize the attachment has final gearing to compensate for a certain amount of torque needed.
I guess what i'm really asking: Is there an advantage to using speed 1 on higher torque consuming attachments/jobs to lessen the load on the motor/battery?  say a speed 1 for hedge trimmers, pole saws,maybe edger, speed 2 for weed whacker  etc? 
like most humans, I personally still have quite a bit of self control with the  trigger finger so why the need for the speed switch limiter if it is really just a fancy trigger block? and that be it only reducing top speed by 1k (~15%)  with no torque or power multiplying advantage? explanation? is it just really more for show? 
Photo of David

David

• 1,942 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of LoneWolf04

LoneWolf04

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I really want to know this too. When I first saw it I thought of a cordless drill that has the 1 / 2 selection. 1 for low torque for screwing and 2 for fast speed for drilling. I would assume high torque for edging vs speed for weed whipping. The manual left much to be desired as far as the operation for it though.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,548 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
It is just an electronic limiter for the tool’s maximum speed. Torque is the same in either position.