Power Head + Pole Hedging attachment doesn't seem to balance properly with the 2.5 AH battery...

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
Just bought the Power Head and the Pole Hedging attachment. Even with the black handle adjusted all the way forward (over that label), the assembled tool wants to tip forward towards the clipper end with only the 2.5 AH battery. It seems a little weird to be fighting that constant downward droop all the time while using the tool. Anybody have similar feelings? Did you do anything about it? 
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,002 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 35,972 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That's a pretty light battery. Maybe a 5ah would give better balance?
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

Absolutely, the 5AH would help a lot. But I don't have one and am not itching to spend another $220 over something I can probably just get used to. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 163,516 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
For moderate reach situations I find it much more comfortable to put my left hand on the foam sleeve that is on the actual hedge trimmer attachment. Only in situations where I need more reach do I use the D handle on the powerhead itself.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

Good tip! I'll give that a try.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Let us know what you think. It’s always great to hear user feedback!
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,098 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I use mine with the extension for trimming my trees mostly. My experience is it's not a comfortable tool to use no matter what battery you use. That being said it is the best & safest tool I have found to do the job.

Mike
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

When used with the extension, unfortunately there’s just no getting around having the weight of the trimmer positioned that far away from where your hands are holding the tool... it’s heavy.

However, as you pointed out it is a solution to the problem however awkward it may be. If it keeps me from having to be on a ladder, I’ll take the awkward handling any day. ;-)
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

I spent some time with the pole hedger attachment yesterday and I discovered a few things. My default grip is the D handle, but if the blade is straight out and I am cutting horizontally - it is most comfortable for me to grip on to the attachment joint, just in front of the D handle. I found using the front foam grip too far forward for my shorter arms. And if I am cutting above my head, almost vertically - I really don't use my left hand for much. Takes getting used to, but it's not as bad as I first thought.

Thanks to all that made suggestions here!