Power Head Hedge Trimmer HTA2000

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Just purchased the new power head / edger combo. I'm looking for something to make trimming my decorative trees easier/safer. In the past I would use hedge trimmer on a ladder. I was looking at the pole saw with extension but now that I see they just released the subject power head add-on tool I'm thinking it may be a better fit.

• This does not look ergonomical for short shrubs/bushes?
  • Anyone have experience trimming trees with the HTA2000?
  • Can the extension pole be used with the HTA2000?

Thanks,

Mike
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,750 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
1. Agreed. A handheld hedge trimmer would probably work better for bushes and small trees.

2. It’s a brand new product, so nobody has it yet.

3. The extension should work, though Ego calls it a “pole saw extension”. Perhaps that title will be revised now that the trimmer is available?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,072 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
A couple folks have had one shipped in from EU.  I Know one loved it so much he purchased a second just in case he needed it.  Hopefully someone will give a first hand report.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,218 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We have confirmed: the extension pole designed for the Power Head system will work with the new hedge trimmer attachment.
Photo of mike

mike

• 1,036 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I like to use my gas powered long reach hedge trimmer over my hand held hedge trimmer as it gets the job done faster. The ego can be angled just as mine so you can make it work in tight spaces if needed. It really depends on how small these bushes are and how they are situated.
It will certainly keep you off the ladder more on the larger ones but you may still need the ladder to reach the top center. At least right now you can buy the new hand held trimmer with no battery for $100 so you may as well get both. Then you will be prepared for any size of shrub/bush.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,740 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I bought the regular hedge trimmer this past summer so seems like this long reach one would make a nice compliment.
Photo of IdEgoSuperEgo

IdEgoSuperEgo

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Today was my first test of the HTA2000 hedge trimmer - I trimmed some overgrown (now 8 - 9' tall) vibernum hedges today (and used an extension pole.)  I also used the pole saw for cutting the thicker branches - somewhere around 1/2" - 1.5" thick branches (yes they should have been trimmed years ago but the slope of the ground makes setting up a ladder quite difficult hence my excitement over this tool.)  The tools worked fantastically well and I couldn't be more pleased with the equipment.  I was able to work for about three hours using the 5Ah battery, then charged the battery while I swapped in another 5Ah battery.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,688 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nice review, thanks for sharing!

I bet tools like these will make lots of things practical or possible that weren’t before. I can’t wait to get mine!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,072 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
great report Id - thanks
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,720 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the review. I see you say you used your pole saw for the thicker branches -  1/2" to 1.5". The new HTA2000 is supposed to be able to handle 1". Did it struggle at the 1/2" mark?      Thanks
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,944 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
IdEgoSuperEgo, thanks for your feedback on the new Hedger Attachment.  When I bought my Power+ Multi-Head last year, I was targeting the Edger Attachment (EA) and the Hedger Attachment (HA).  Needless to say, I was not happy when EGO did not have the HA available.  Like you, I have many tall trees and shrubs that are way past due for a "spring" haircut.

That said; I too bought the new HA and cannot wait for this weekend.  The blade feels strong and sharp to the touch.  I can only imagine how well this will cut my branches.  Since I don't have an extension pole, I might use my 2.5 Ah battery instead - to ease the load of the total weight of the tool.  Will post some feedback and pictures after this weekend ... :-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,072 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
David - why no extension pole ? 
Go big or go home :)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

A fair question - not needed, since most of my trees and shrubs will be fine (height wise) with the HA alone.  Maybe 5+ years from now, when they continue to grow taller, then perhaps, I can invest in one.
(Edited)
Photo of IdEgoSuperEgo

IdEgoSuperEgo

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
A word of caution to newbies to the powerhead - using the extension does create quite a bit of torque on one's lower back so be careful with the weight of tools at that distance. Last year my back was sore for months (I've never had back problems) after a long day of pole sawing - so I was careful with the HTA2000 and came away uninjured. I very much like the 5 Ah battery to try to balance the tool (for me the total weight isn't a problem.) I suppose I should try the 7.5 Ah battery with the extension and see. The use of the extension also provides more options for cutting without standing under the falling debris. :)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Thanks for the tip, I will do my best to keep my back in good shape this weekend.