Power Head Hedge Trimmer Attachment

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Implemented
I'm going to strongly chime-in on the suggestion for adding a hedge trimmer attachment to your Power Head "fleet" of tools. A high-reach articulated hedge trimmer would be extremely useful (and I believe very marketable) for many of us who have tall hedge or bush trimming applications. Adding this option to the Power Head selection would be a smart move for Ego as well, as it would extend the appeal for the Power Head system. 
Photo of Kenneth Vondrasek

Kenneth Vondrasek

• 762 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 145,388 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This is available in Europe already. Hopefully Ego will release it here next year, but nothing has been announced yet.

Kenneth Vondrasek

Nice! That looks perfect - Very similar to the Ryobi design! Hopefully we'll see it before the fall pruning season. Thanks!!!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 131,608 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ego says this won't be released in North America this year. Maybe next year.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Actually, with all the bad press Ego is getting with this Power Head system, I might as well say it... its release here will likely depend on whether Home Depot decides to carry it or not. I'm pretty sure if it was up to Ego there would be shelf space allocated to every tool they make.

If Home Depot decides their customers don't need the hedge trimmer, we won't get the hedge trimmer.
Photo of William Mosby

William Mosby

• 248 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
bad press on the power head system? I like mine very much
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Don't get me wrong, the tools are great! Just that HD under stocked them and there are legions of loyal Ego customers upset that they can't buy them. Ego and HD are getting the bad press, not the tools! :-)

Kenneth Vondrasek

Exactly my point! I have been pleasantly surprised with all my Ego purchases - Including the Power Head Piece (I only have the pole saw and extender pole so far). I have also had good experience dealing with Ego directly as well (Registering the warranty is incredibly easy!), but there shouldn't have to be the "surprise" factor if the product was better represented and stocked to at least a demo level in the retail space, so that a prospective buyer can feel the balance, feel and ergonomics of the tool. A little sales support knowledge would be nice as well, but that might be asking a bit much from HD! ....Again, look at the extremely successful Stihl marketing model! Thanks to all for your response to my comments!!!

Kenneth Vondrasek

.....FYI:  Last year (2016) I wrote Ego customer Support and STRONGLY made my case for adding a pole/chain-saw to their Power Head suite and how it would be a  very useful tool choice for us property owners, and their response was a congenial "thank you for the suggestion, but no such product was currently in the process of development." ......Five months later the Ego Power Head pole saw was on the market! I remain optimistic on the Power Head hedge trimmer!!!
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 25,558 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Not to rain on your parade, but Ego's statement was likely not true.  For them to engineer and produce a new product in five months is not realistic.

If you look at the date in the manual from the UK site for the PSA1000 pole saw, it is dated (on page 13): 01/12/2016, which is for the EC DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY, and specifically says:

Declare that the product 56V lithium-ion cordless pole
saw attachment PSA1000, equipped with power head PH1400E.

Therefore, Ego would have had to have a production piece or representative sample already made.

http://egopowerplus.co.uk/sites/default/files/2017-05/PSA1000%20Pole%20Saw%20Attachment_manual-.pdf
Photo of Robert John

Robert John

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Brush cutter attachment for Power+.

When will brush cutter attachment become available in US?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 42,450 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
All Ego has said is "possibly next year."
Photo of Joe Peterson

Joe Peterson

• 60 Points
I would but the hedge trimmer attachment in a heartbeat!
I have actually tried to buy it online from multiple overseas sites. But once I type in my address, I get the message that they will not ship to my area.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 39,486 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
have you tried mowermagic
others have said they were able to get products shipped to the US.
(Edited)

Kenneth Vondrasek

Thank you for the lead, but my fear is for the warranty and support of an item that is prematurely purchased from overseas. I'll continue to be patient, and wait for the release of the product in the U.S.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 45,820 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Me, too. I'm looking forward to retiring my one final Black & Decker tool.

There's so much demand for the hedge trimmer attachment I would be shocked if Ego doesn't follow through and bring it to the U.S. next year.
Photo of pat

pat

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Rotating handle hedge trimmer and hedger attachment.

I noticed there is a hedge trimmer attachment and a couple of model hedge trimmers with rotating handles available in the UK. Anyone know if these will be made available in the US?

Kenneth Vondrasek

That was noted earlier in this dialogue chain with a link to an actual UK source/dealer to purchase the EGO hedge trimmer attachment with adjustable head. However, I advised against an overseas purchase unless EGO was willing to provide complete warranty and support for the item. Hopefully EGO will give us an answer to your question about domestic availability of this attachment, as it has stirred-up quite a bit of interest.
Photo of Rich Z

Rich Z

• 782 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
have you tried mowermagic
others have said they were able to get products shipped to the US.
I contacted mowermagic and they say they are not shipping to the USA. There was no clarification as to whether they only meant the two EGO products I want, or there were other issues involved.
Photo of Rich Z

Rich Z

So I got an email message stating:

Your question "Why available in the UK but not in the USA?" has been merged into the idea:
Power Head Hedge Trimmer Attachment
But when I look at this thread, nearly ALL of my posts in that original thread have been deleted.  Am I missing something? Were they put elsewhere?  Or was I just censored?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 58,424 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
They do not sensor posts. Perhaps they were lost?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,698 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You got me... the only reason I've seen posts deleted in the past is for profanity or personal attacks.
Photo of Rich Z

Rich Z

Well, fortunately I can recover my posts.  So I'll just repost them and see what happens.

I'm trying to find the PSA1000 and the HTA2000 but no one in the USA appears to have them.  To add insult to injury, I can find LOTS of companies in the UK that have them, but finding someone willing to ship to the USA is being a challenge.  So why is EGO treating the USA like a third world country, and giving preference to stock to the UK and EU?
Seriously, I bought quite a few EGO items through Home Depot, and since I used their credit card, I can return the stuff in one year for a full refund.  Unless I see this situation improve REAL soon, I will do exactly that and go with a different brand.  One where I can buy what I want without all the headaches involved with just trying to find what I want.
[quote]I think the UK is kind of like a guinea pig market for Ego. It seems most of the products released there eventually make their way to the US, but possibly with some production and/or regulatory delays. [/quote]
And that explains why items that ARE being marketed in the USA just not being available, how exactly?
[quote]if you can work with just one machine {string trimmer} as I do then Ego will be fine as a brand. If a system or various machines working off same batteries is your goal Ego is not the way to go.[/quote]
Point well taken, and perhaps a lesson learned.  Fortunately I have retained all the boxes and packing materials for all of the EGO stuff I purchased from Home Depot.  I will give EGO another month or two, but if the stuff I want is still not forthcoming, then I will take ALL of it back for a refund.  EGO, time to "ship" or get off the pot.  You are either going to be a viable company in the USA, or you are not.  I'm getting the uncomfortable feeling that you are not, and everyone who bought into your scantily available products are going to be left holding the bag when you bail out completely.  None of this stuff will be worth squat if replacement batteries become unavailable in the near future.
I STRONGLY recommend that anyone buying an EGO product through Home Depot do so through their own credit card.  This comes with a one (1) year money back guarantee on anything you buy from them, and this just might come in handy with your EGO products.
As for the beer comment, please tell me where my logic and perspective of this situation is in error.  I have been looking at EGO products since May, and although I have bought a few (leaf blower, chainsaw, modular string trimmer, hedge trimmer), I am not seeing anything improving concerning additional products coming available.  And I can see no logically consistent reason why these additional products ARE available in the UK, yet not so here in the USA.  I can see no reason whatsoever why EGO would believe that they would have a better market in the EU than they do in the USA for such products.  So something about this just smells *wrong* to me.
But please correct me if I am wrong about what I am seeing.
It sounds to me that this "exclusive" retail arrangement really isn't working out well for EGO, now is it?  Seems to be there is legal grounds to nullify it based on non performance and then go to Lowe's and any number of retail chains around the USA to be able to get the product to the customers waiting for them.
On one hand I am tempted to call this blaming it on Home Depot as being nonsensical, but then on the other hand I was scoping out the offerings from Ryobi, and guess what? Same situation there.  A sizable portion of their battery powered lawn tools are not available either locally or via online ordering.  So this does support that argument.  I think it would be in EGO's best interests at this point to divorce themselves from that Home Depot exclusive contract.   It doesn't appear to be serving them well any longer.
So I will be patient and wait it out for a bit.  But no later than when the first EGO item I purchased through Home Depot is approaching the anniversary date. Then it all goes back if nothing has improved. I do not intend to get stuck with a bunch of battery powered stuff that replacement batteries suddenly are no longer available for.  And THAT is the writing I see on the wall if the supply channels don't open up REAL SOON. Whether it is Home Depot's fault or EGO's fault will be immaterial. The end result for me, the end user, will be the same.
Anyone see any profanity or personal attacks in the above?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 126,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
"ship" or get off the pot

Kidding, I thought that was pretty funny, actually!
Photo of TK

TK

• 3,524 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I too thought it was funny. Moderators should not be overly sensitive.
Photo of sylwester

sylwester

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled In the future, does this company have plans to make other attachments to the powe....

Title
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 25,638 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Anything made in the UK is a potential product that could be available in the US:

http://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/multi-tool
Photo of JTS

JTS

• 842 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I would like to suggest an attachment for the ego power head. Can y’all make a he....

I would like to suggest an attachment for the ego power head. Can y’all make a hedger attachment for it?
Photo of John S

John S

• 692 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Will a pole hedge trimmer attachment will be available soon?.
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

• 1,734 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
The Cars' song 'Just what I needed' keeps ringing in my head whenever I try to check on the status of this