Power Head attachments

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
What plans does Ego have on releasing new attachments for their power head system? Ryobi has quite a few more attachments for their system but I really don't want to buy Ryobi tools any more. However, if Ego isn't going to release new attachments in a timely manner people like me who want a broad array of attachments for a new power head may be forced to go with the established product line of Ryobi over Ego. Not something I want to do. I'd rather stick with Ego.
Photo of Paul Harlow

Paul Harlow

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 69,204 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ego seems to be releasing one or two attachments per year. The cultivator was released this year, for example. A brush cutter is rumored.

What particular attachments are you looking for?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 92,190 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Well no one is going to answer that question for you.  Ego does not advertise product plans until they are ready for sale (or very close).

The Brush cutter has been available in the UK/EU so that is a likely candidate to hit the North American market soon (spring 2020). But that is just a guess based on other products that were available in other markets and then came to the US.

A power sweeper is probably the most requested and could be a future release following in the footsteps of the cultivator.

Photo of Paul Harlow

Paul Harlow

Mostly looking to see what future bits are coming out. I like the cultivator but Ryobi also has a blower and snow thrower attachment that would come in handy for me.
The sweeper attachment seems odd to me but I suppose it could come in handy.

At the moment I'm looking at the 10 inch pole saw with extension but that all is quite expensive. Thus I really want to make sure it's worth the initial and continual investment.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ryobi has been around for 20+ years, so they are understandably going to have a wider range of tools currently available.  Ego has been on a pretty good pace of releasing new tools over their initial 5ish years and I would expect more to come.
Unfortunately, no specifics, only semi educated guesses.
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Harlow

Paul Harlow

Make sense. I stopped buying Ryobi stuff long ago because I didn't like their quality. Thought I'd take the plunge again last year in their 40v line with a lawnmower and chainsaw at start. The chainsaw is solid but the mower isn't so good. Since then I've read the reviews and comparisons and found the Ego, while much more expensive is well worth the investment.
Also one site hinted that Ego might be a Honda company. Is that true?
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 15,924 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Paul, many are patiently waiting, but we really don't want them rushing an inferior product to market. EGO is the best cordless platform, in my opinion and the wait will be worth it once those arrive. Meanwhile, I'll use what's available and see it as a stepping stone to the best product; upgrade kinda like our Smartphones. People spend $800-$1200 to upgrade every year or two, so an EGO upgrade should be inexpensive relatively.
Photo of Paul Harlow

Paul Harlow

I whole heartedly agree. As I said previously I'm mostly looking to future proof. I want to make sure the product line is to be supported for a long time so that I'm not tossing money on things like batteries to the wind.
Anyway, thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,962 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ego isn't part of Honda, although Ego at one time made Honda's battery powered tools that are sold overseas. I'm not sure whether they still do, or which countries, but Europe for sure. Honda's battery powered lawn tools there look exactly like Ego, except they're red.

Ego's parent company is Chervon (not Chevron!).
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,368 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ugh someone said ryobi. I refer to them as landfill mass.

Glad you stopped buying that junk. I don't go to the home Depot during ryobi days. I feel sick around their tools. Maybe it's the color
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 5,722 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have it on good authority that the next releases will be a Stihl Kombi type blower attachment. :). If you hadn't used a long reach blower then you are in for a treat and a surprise if they keep the power up. A mid level Stihl head with blower puts out around 160mph at 600cfm.

Well....maybe not good authority.....but that's my vote anyhow.

Brush Cutter seems logical but don't let the lack of available factory offer ing stop you from making your own.

The tiller head opens up the chance of a rubber and bristle broom plus dethatcher.

Jeremy