power 15" string trimmer

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • In Progress
Cannot get the automatic line loader to work. Have carefully read the instructions, looked at videos on youtube, but pressing the rewind button doesn't pull the string in. The motor sounds and looks like it's working but the string doesn't wind onto the spool. Unit is new.
Photo of Robert W Salthouse

Robert W Salthouse

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frunstrated

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 65,350 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
What diameter string are you trying to load? I think that trimmer likes the .095" diameter string.

Robert W Salthouse

I'm using the new string that came with the unit. I double checked and it is .095"
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 99,218 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
So you have the ST1520 15" trimmer with the carbon fiber shaft and the powerload head ?

Are you sure the trimmer was empty when you got it, because mine came preloaded and with an extra piece of string for a second load later on.

Insert the string thru the hole - pull even amount out both sides - battery installed - push the powerload button at the business end of the tool (on the shaft - down by the string).

(Edited)

Robert W Salthouse

Yes, I have that model. It did come preloaded and worked great with that preloaded string. The problem is trying to load the extra piece of string it came with. I have pushed the string through one of the holes. It came out the other without a problem, I evened them out and than pressed the loading button. The motor turns but the string stays the same length, it doesn't spool in. I've tried this several times and even recharged the battery. Just doesn't want to work.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Robert, you should return to Home Depot for assistance or exchange within the 90 day period.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 65,350 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, assuming you bought it at Home Depot they have a 90 day no questions asked return or exchange policy. 1 year if you used an HD credit card. 
Even if you bought it from HD online you can still return it to an HD stick and brick store.
And... even better, you don't need the box it came in to return it.
(Edited)

Robert W Salthouse

Good idea. I'll do that. Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.
Photo of George E Corwin

George E Corwin

• 708 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I've had my Ego trimmer with power loader for about a month.  Yesterday, I was having trouble getting the new line through and after removing the cover noticed that the string had broken off inside.  Very simple and easy to remove the cover.  So far, I'm extremely impressed with the whole unit! 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 98,638 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
thanks for the review George
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,296 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Always good to read positive experiences here.
(Edited)