Possible Rust on Mower?!?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I have only had my Power + mower for a little over a month and have used it 5 times.  I noticed when I was brushing out the undercarriage that the bar between the rear wheels seemed to have a rust starting on it.  I do not mow the lawn wet and I have not hosed the mower off.  I am wondering if this is happening just from the grass wetness from being cut and if anyone else has had an issue.
Photo of Janet Bender

Janet Bender

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

• 1,224 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hope someone replies to this, as I have concerns about the same issue...
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Janet, can you post a picture here of what you are seeing?  That will help us try to figure out what might be going on.
Photo of Janet Bender

Janet Bender

My rust area is much the same as I Dexter's. Will try the suggestiins mentioned but would be great if EGO would include this as a heads up. Loving the mower!!!!!!♡♡♡♡
Photo of chuck

chuck

• 62 Points
Got an Ego 21” mower last month, have used 4-5 times when cleaning underside there is rust on every single metal part.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,070 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think most, if not all, of the hardware is stainless so pretty unlikely rust is coming from that. In this pic it looks more like either pollen or dirt. 
I do have to say my 21" mower never looked that shiny or black. What is the model # of this one?
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,566 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
That does look like dirt residue. I use to work on power equipment and have noticed this on equipment that is used in areas that have red clay. Red clay gets everywhere.

Red clay is often used in dyeing T-shirts in Hawaii so it is known to stain pretty much anything. I have one such t-shirt that is over 10 years old and is still red!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Either that or it is grass pollen. It dyes my shirts orange all of the time. Stupid grass pollen
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's definitely not rust. There's more of it on plastic parts than there is on the metal parts, which are stainless.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,072 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Leaf blower may take care of that "rust"
Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

I'm curious if Janet is talking about the same signs of rust as I show here on my EGO 21" SP mower.  Mine is about 3 months old, and I've used it 2 - 3 times a week on dry grass. I'd be interested to hear if we're experiencing the same issue...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
While I certainly can't see a whole lot of detail from a picture, it would seem as though what is on that shaft is not too much more than some surface corrosion.

Most people have seen an old car or tractor abandoned for decades in a field, the original paint having been lost a long time ago, leaving only a bare metal surface to weather away in the elements. In many cases these are the surfaces of relatively thin, stamped sheet metal parts. Though they are rusty they are still largely intact.

Another example is the exhaust system on a relatively new car being rusty looking, yet it is designed to last for a minimum of 8 years and 100,000 miles.

Many surfaces will show a level of corrosion soon after being put into service, but will outlast the equipment. In some cases a layer of corrosion actually benefits the component by protecting it from the elements. Not all "rust" is the same, and certainly shouldn't be associated with the salt fueled cancer that eats cars in northern climates.

I have no idea what the exact material or coating processes are on the Ego mower driveshaft, but I don't think what I see in that picture is anything to be worried about. If you start seeing severe pitting and/or flaking of material, then I would be concerned. :-)
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,566 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I love your blue mower. :) 
I have noticed same and Have spayed mine with wd40. Steel wool and wd40 will take the surface rust right off.
Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

Steel wool and WD40 did the trick ! :-)  
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Get some Boeshield T9 corrosion protection spray.  it's nothing short of amazing.  Of course you need to remove the rust first.  Pick your favorite method for doing that.  But no matter what you do to remove the rust, T9 is the cat's meow for preventing rust.  re-apply from time to time.
(Edited)
Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

Have cleaned the rust off, as suggested above with steel wool and WD 40.  Will look for the Boeshield T9!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

if you can't find it locally, Amazon has it.  $18.  lasts a long time.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks.  I get free shipping with Amazon since I am a Prime Member, so I will definitely take advantage of this product.
Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

Found the Boeshield T9 at my local Sears for $22.  
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

ouch!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

As much as I love to support Sears, and I have for over 20 years - I just can't afford to buy anything from them anymore.  Everything is expensive and over priced vs. HD and other hardware stores.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Thanks for heads up, will check this out on my next trip to the hard ware store.

Official Response
Thanks for sharing the images.  We've escalated this to our R&D team for further review.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

My personal point of view on this matter. Take it with a grain of salt since I can't see what you will see as I don't have this mower.

Some forms of surface corrosion will actual protect the surface of a part. If you are continuously removing it with an abrasive you will be weakening the part through gradual material removal. Unless the corrosion is leading to deep pitting and/or flaking, I would be tempted to just leave it alone while keeping an eye on it.

Also, if there are any engineered coatings present on the metal when the part is manufactured, using an abrasive will remove them which could also expose the part and exacerbate the issue.

If it was me and my mower, I might be tempted to apply a light oil to it and just leave it alone, that way you're protecting the part and not removing any material.

Once again, just my point of view. :-)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I have to disagree with you, Blue.  If you remove corrosion (it's not like you are portraying a normal situation, ie, according to you,"continuously removing it with an abrasive") once in a blue moon, prior to applying a rust preventative THAT ACTUALLY WORKS, such as T9, you are far better off than letting the rust accumulate.  Did you not know that rust propagates if given the chance?   here's a small quote, " As a result, rust self-propagates by expanding and flaking away, exposing fresh base metal that begins corroding in turn." that sums it up short and sweetly. 

For the benefit of readers here who are thinking of heeding Blue's advice:  DON'T.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Better get your T9 and sandpaper out and start "saving" the exhaust system on your car then! ;-)

As I said above, if there's severe pitting or flaking then by all means try to do something about it. If the surface of the metal is simply a little rough and discolored, monitor the situation and treat if it worsens. If it stabilizes then don't worry about it.

Stable surface corrosion is one thing, thickening flaking rust (rot) is something else completely.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

"monitor" the situation?   LOL!  Reminds me of going to the doc and having them measure a mole.  tell you what--you monitor, or ignore.  I'll coat my tools that are prone to rusting, and call it a day.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Let me quote myself:

"If it was me and my mower, I might be tempted to apply a light oil to it and just leave it alone, that way you're protecting the part and not removing any material."

Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,586 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Box of chocolates...
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Wow. Thanks for being nice about it dave. .

Official Response
All, our team took a look at these images and that kind of surface corrosion (really more discoloring than anything) should not affect performance and durability in any way.  We are, however, having the team review some kind of solution going forward.  A reminder that your tools are covered by a 5 year warranty and if performance is affected in a negative way, we're only a phone call away to get help.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,688 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Jennifer!
Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

Super, thank you Jennifer!
Photo of Janet Bender

Janet Bender

Thank you Jennifer.  :-)