poor suction

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
Mower does not lift grass at all, will not even move clippings off sidewalk.  Just purchased the 56V self propelled mower and it does not cut the grass evenly and the suction/blowing created by the mower does not even fill out the bag.  It will not even blow the grass clippings off the sidewalk.  I almost think the blade was installed upside down or something.

I have no idea and plan on returning the mower tomorrow and getting a gas one.
Photo of fredf

fredf

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • confused

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Well, it is a problem.  EGO sells a high lift blade, but it's only for bagging.  You have a very lush lawn.  Beautiful.  Fescue?

I think with a lawn that thick, you would have to mow VERY slow with overlapping cuts to get the results you desire, using this mower.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
They SAY it's only for bagging - but I mulch with it virtually ALL the time, so don't believe them - lol

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/my-mower-sucks-and-im-happy-about-that
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Designed for bagging but works well for mulching for some people.  All depends on the grass type, lawn thickness, user habbits and expectations.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 10,154 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The high lift blade is not just for bagging. It mulches as well. We have both. Are you sure the mulch plug was removed? You might try not bagging? Alot of people don't bother, since mulching is better for your lawn (free food, keeps the soil cool and moist). It will leave clippings, but they work their way down quickly so you don't see them. I think it looks like you mowed kinda fast for that thick grass. Try slowing down and overlapping your passes a bit and letting the power ramp up as you plow through it. I mow over two acres of similar lawn, and a quarter mile of rough paths, and the Ego is great.
(Edited)
Photo of william schroeter

william schroeter

• 60 Points
Must be a mix up and this reply was sent to me by accident
My mowers problem is that it stops after a few minutes of operating. I do not bag, I have tried 3 different fully charged batteries and I am attempting to mow the same area as last year.
However if I start the mower and and tie the handle bars in the on position, and do not move the mower, it will go until the battery dies.
Photo of fredf

fredf

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I had the setting as also as possible and also used it just walking i tried just using the mulching and and it just pushed the grass over in places and in other left large blades of grass.  I am not sure if they made any changes and they don't show RPM but it seems like the blade is just not spinning fast enough.

The lawn is a mixture of Fescue and Bluegrass, I am at 5000' my lawn is about 3/4 as thick as some of my neighbors.  I also did do 1/2 passes, it might just be a got a bad blade who knows how the quality control was on the batch that Home Depot received.  I was leery about buying a mower made in China and maybe it is just a QA issue and I got a bad blade?
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,504 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
A lot of folks complain the blade is not as sharp as it should be when delivered. Try giving it a sharpening. Otherwise, It does sound like something is wrong with this one. you should be hearing the motor ramping up as it meets the thicker grass. also, just checking if you had the mulch plug positioned correctly depending on which method you were trying?
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Also, we always have to ask, are you sure the blade is turning at all? We won't tell, but sometimes folks get confused and forget to pull up the bail wire when they push the button. Another thing to check is if the handle is fully extended and locked in place. if not, that can keep the blades from turning properly.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,480 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Meanwhile, this is my front lawn after mowing yesterday with Ego's 21-inch self-propelled mower, with the stock mulching blade. I was walking at a normal pace and using the self-propulsion on this part of my yard. I did sharpen the blade when I first got the mower a couple of months ago.

You didn't say whether you have the 20-inch or 21-inch self-propelled, but I'll assume you have the latter. In addition to sharpening the blade, make sure it's on tight so the blade isn't slipping when it hits thicker grass.

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Yep, that is what mine looks like too after a careful mow.  Purty!
Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

• 610 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I just posted something just like this and was about to return my mower until I discovered the high lift blade. Crazy that ego doesn’t include the high lift blade. I mentioned I was going to return my mower for same issues until I discovered the high lift blade is supposed to solve these issues when using the standard blade. I’ll find out if the high lift blade solves it once I receive it. Very frustrating. My grass is very similar to your grass. Lush and very green and fertilized often.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,874 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Try sharpening the blade. I didn't sharpen the original blade until after I replaced it with the high-lift blade. When I swapped back to the original blade (newly sharpened)...what do you know, it worked just fine.

What I found is either the original blade or the high-lift blade works well with mulching. When it comes to bagging though...the high-lift blade (with better sucking) works a lot better than the original blade. 

Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,874 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Also, you mentioned that it looks like the blade was installed upside down. All EGO blades have a description that indicates which side is on the grass side. If you don't see that inscription on the blade...the blade may have indeed been installed upside down.
Photo of Crystal Day

Crystal Day

• 60 Points
SAME PROBLEM!!!!

We purchased the 21 inch and there is NO suction when mowing. If the grass is laying at an angle and not straight up and down it won't suck it up and cut it. SO FRUSTRATING. Essentially anywhere the wheels go, lays down some. This creates stripes of long grass. We do overlap our passes to prevent this, but due to no suction it doesn't help. I have to rake my grass in order to cut it.  If we don't rake the grass gets longer and longer and ends up laying down completely due to the lack of suction. We mow the yard twice (in 90° direction) to try and eliminate some of this problem. VERY frustrating. Something that was never an issue with our gas powered mower. I was unaware of a different blade that we must purchase to "Lift" the grass.  *Shouldn't this be a standard blade? 

Our yard is Kentucky Bluegrass. And we mulch our grass - never bagged it.

Fredf, Did you purchase the other blade and did it help?
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,546 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Do you have the mulch plug installed or are you trying to bag? Ours sucks up gravel when we have it set to mulch. 

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,232 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I have an almost 4 year old 21" push (non-sp) mower with the original blade. It has great suction. I use it as a leaf vacuum on level 1 for the sidewalks and gutters. I mow my yards at height 3 or 2 depending on time of year and it does a great job lifting the grass for cutting and also sucks up leaves off of the yard. I bag with it and also mulch with it and get great results either way. I do get wheel tracks left in the grass but that's nothing new. Used to get the same thing with gas mowers. I also overlap and my mower lifts the grass from the track I'm overlapping so I don't end up with strips of tall grass. I believe my yards are mostly fescue so that might make a difference since I'm not cutting bluegrass. I also don't try to cut at too high of a setting. Like I mentioned, 2 or 3 depending on time of year.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

also, be sure to read the whole thread. There are lots of suggestions to get a better mow, slowing down, sharpening the blade even if new, checking your blade is actually spinning, etc. Ego uses the exact the same cutting system as a gas mower, a rapidly spinning blade, so they will cut the same once you get your technique down.  
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,580 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Similar experience to Mike with blue grass fescue mix

High lift blade is an available option to try.  It is designed for bagging not mulching. It has worked well for some - I have tried both and prefer the standard blade.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Same experience here. We have both blades in use and can't tell much difference, maybe the high lift is a bit better if we waited too long between mows like during rainy weeks.  
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,232 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
And has been mentioned above, verify the blade is installed correctly.