Poor craftsmanship on the EGO ST1502SF String Trimmer Bump Head!

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
Poor craftsmanship on the EGO ST1502SF String Trimmer Bump Head! Two have cracked in less than one year with normal use. Email to Ego remains unanswered. May end up taking it back to Home Depot for a refund.
Photo of John Buckalew

John Buckalew

• 70 Points

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 13,084 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
John, you had 90 days to return unless charged to the Home Depot card, then you have 1 year. Those heads are plastic and doesn't take much impact; try not bumping on hard surfaces. I've seen YouTube videos where you can alter the bump head using metal reinforcements, but not sure what it may do for balance.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 55,260 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I always bump on a hard surface. No problems with my 3 year old trimmer head and so far no problems with my powerload trimmer head. 
A lot of the pictures of wear I've seen on this forum almost looks like the head is in constant contact with whatever surface while trimming. I never run mine that way, maybe that's why it doesn't wear too quickly? 
John, not saying that's what you are doing but that's the only conclusion I can seem to imagine that might cause something like that. 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 65,896 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I agree with Mike. I'm going into my fourth summer with the 15-inch trimmer with little more than a few scuffs on the plastic bump head. I bump it on grass and concrete both.

If you've cracked two in less than a year it's definitely not through "normal use." You are simply hitting it way too hard.