Technical Review: PH1400/STA1500 vs. ST1500-F, center of gravity / balance in operation

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
  • (Edited)
Quick comparison of the center of gravity (CoG) between the PH1400/STA1500 (Power Head w/ 15" trimmer attachment) + 2.5 AH battery vs. ST1500-F (straight shaft, RR head) + 2.0 AH battery.

First I lined up both of the trimmer heads at the center of the cutting head (see the yard stick).  Then I balanced each one on a 2x4.

The PH1400/STA1500+2.5 is 5" in front of the foremost edge of the handle.
The ST1500F+2.0 is 8" in front of the foremost edge of the handle.

Assumptions: The 2.0 and 2.5 are nearly identical in weight, but the negligible difference shouldn't affect the CoG by more than a 1/2 inch.

Conclusion: The weight of the motor in the PH1400 along with the solid metal shaft moved the CoG  back 3" over the 15" trimmer (where the motor is in the head).

Operational Feedback: I cut 2x 2.5AH batteries, and I was running at speed 1 (LO), and pretty much full throttle the entire time, ran down both batteries in 45 minutes (but one of those might not have been topped off, maybe 50%; so disregard the run time report).  The PH1400 definitely feels heavier and more weighted to the rear.  It's not as easy to swing left/right like the ST1500.

Question: For those who have tried both the PH1400/STA1500 and the ST1500, what's your thoughts on the balance and feel?

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,412 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,394 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Can't give any feedback on the PH combo, but I'm pretty sure the RR head you put on the ST1500 shifted the CoG towards the cutting end a bit.

Of course, since the original bump Head models are being discontinued, that info is only relevant to previous owners. The ST1500 is about as light as one could imagine it to be without feeling flimsy.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,476 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The added weight with the Power Head combo is noticeable, so I'll probably be using a strap with it. The balance hasn't bothered me much.

My main complaints are the rotational change and the positioning of the safety trigger.

The counterclockwise rotation throws more debris back toward me than the 15-inch trimmer. And I like the more ambidextrous design of the safety trigger on the 15-inch model.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,412 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

I've owned the ST1500 for almost a year now, and I've got the forward handle adjusted to where it feels balanced; and you'll notice that the balance point (2x4) is just behind the handle (by about 2 inches).

Now comes the tricky part, where is the optimal position WRT (with respect to) where to locate the front handle.  Some considerations: 1) If the grab points (front handle, rear grip) are too close together, then you loose controllability, or 2) if they are too far apart, then you usually end up trying to adjust the trimmer body/battery rear so that you can reach the front handle.

The method by which I prefer to operate my trimmer is to hold the weight with my left hand (at the handle), and then pivot the trimmer about that point, by moving my right hand back and forth.  Which is probably why I ended up with the handle at the CoG.

Now another way you could operate it would be to hold most of the weight with your right hand, and then pivot the trimmer about that rearward CoG point by moving your left hand (handle) back and forth.  When using the PH1400 combo the other day, the handle did "feel" like it was in the wrong position, but I had not mapped out the CoG yet, so I just chocked that up to new machine learning curve.

So with that said, I think that overall weight more than balance point would be the deciding factor for a smaller operator, at least that's my current thought.  If that is your thought too, the ST1500 would be the choice, being 2.0 lbs lighter than the PH1400 combo.

Photo of wayne

wayne

• 60 Points
Thanks! That's what we ordered.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,018 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I've never really had problems with the center of mass probably because I did not attach the handle to the trimmer.  I just hold the pole.  I find it easier to switch from trimming to edging without the handle, and I probably compensate for a shift in the center of mass by grabbing a different part of the pole when say I put a bigger battery on the trimmer.  I don't know for sure because trimming has become so second-nature to me that I have not paid any attention.  I really think that if you try using it without the handle, control will be easier than ever.
Photo of Donn Juann

Donn Juann

• 60 Points
What about the power which one has the power.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,394 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The Power Head seems to have unstoppable power. The only time I could bog it down was when I got thistles and weeds built up around the head. It's a beast, the limit being the string:

The ST1500 is no slouch either... it has TONS of power, it's just not quite as mental as the PH. To be honest I've never slowed it down, but I haven't put it through the same torture as the PH system.

For most residential trimming the ST1500 has got all the power you could want.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,018 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
A notation: The question appears to be directed not at the EGO staff but at the EGO community.  That kind of goes without saying.