Owners of LM2022 Self-Propelled model...

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
Hoping someone who owns the new Steel Deck 20inch Self-Propelled model can chime in and tell me if the mower cuts consistently when using SP and when not using SP on different passes. I had the 21inch SP model and on my hills, it would cut higher when going uphill using SP than when coasting downhill not using SP. I really like everything else about the mower except for that so I ended up returning it. Might get the 20in Steel Deck SP if the mohawking/striping issue has been addressed. Thanks in advance of the info!
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 380 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 42,924 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I do not have that model, but you can get one from HD and try it out.  It it doesn't work to your standards then return it for a full refund from HD.  You have 90 to return or a whole year if you purchase it with a HD card.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 1,928 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I don't notice any difference at all, and I do the same on my hills. The grass does have a "nap" depending on which direction you mowed each stripe, and then are looking at the cuts. I wonder if that is what you are seeing? I do notice the rather cheesy, narrow, hard plastic wheels (sorry Ego) leave deep gouges in the grass for a few hours, but by the next day it has has sprung back up again, and you don't notice them. To be fair, I usually let the grass get too long between cuts, so the mower is working hard. Full disclosure, I do not have lawn OCD, so if it looks a little "natural" in spots, like a hair cut, it'll grow out and I'll catch it next time. But honestly, if I see a really egregious spot I missed, I just mow that bit again. It's so freaking easy to push the button and clean it up.
Photo of Jason

Jason

The uneven cut was significant, even when using SP on flat ground. I might have lawn OCD! I like to mow in concentric circles around my trees which is more difficult since turning with the Ego is more difficult being rear wheel drive. But the uneven height of the cut isn’t my OCD, it simply looks terrible.
(Edited)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 1,928 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
oh, yes. We first tried doing our usual round and round the yard like we did with our rider, and no, not pretty. So I don't try to mow circles around all our trees. We found ours definitely work better doing the back and forth cuts Ego recommended. I have a pattern now that works slick. We even have taken to doing fancy baseball diamond cuts when the grass got too long and we had to do two passes. From our second story deck it looks so "pro." lol.
Photo of Pete Innes

Pete Innes

• 2,016 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
If you watch what the mower does when you pull the self propel lever, it raises up at the rear. If you use it as a push mower it doesn’t. Suggest you power using the self propel all the time. You shouldn’t have the problem
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 5,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Jason - I have a flat lawn and don't notice grass height difference with & without SP. What height do you have the handle set for? Maybe try a higher and lower setting?
Photo of Jason

Jason

I had my 21SP set on 2, I believe. Didn’t want to cut much lower. Grass wasn’t high enough to allow for higher setting. Glad to hear that you aren’t seeing a difference with and without! I just ordered the 2022SP and it should be here early next week. Am also going to test the 80v Kobalt SP model.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 139,068 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I think Michael G. was suggesting that a different handle height can influence whether you’re tilting the mower forward or not when you push it. This has been mentioned before by several users and, IIRC, some reported an improvement lowering the handle height.

Give us a report on that 2022SP, it’s a sweet looking package.
Photo of Jason

Jason

I see now what he was asking. I tried the handle adjustment both at the highest setting and the middle setting, didn’t try the lowest. However, regardless of the handle setting, the deck itself lifted every time SP was engaged. You can see it do this on level ground such as a garage floor.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 42,242 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have not notice and height issues with my 21SP.  Ego has stated that uneven cutting is not a known issue and indicates a need for repair.
Photo of Jason

Jason

Happy to report that my new 2022SP has an even cut while using both SP and non-SP. Didn’t have too much trouble on my hills and was even able to do my “tree circles” without much difficulty!
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 39,412 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Great to hear
Photo of Jason

Jason

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 136,258 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Talk about lift! That’s a Formula One mower right there folks... mowing upside down!!! :-)
Photo of Jason

Jason

Ha! Not sure why they posted upside down. I even tried rotating the originals and then uploading them in an effort to get them right side up but no luck.
Photo of Jason

Jason