Only the rear wheels adjust up and down with the height adjustment. The front axel just kinda of flops to the lowest setting.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

Have been using it for a couple months, while mowing this time the front went down the the ground and now the height adjustment only raises and lowers the back wheels.  Looking at the bottom I don't see how the axel gets adjusted any higher unless it is done internally.
Photo of cognos

cognos

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of joe

joe

• 996 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Mine "flopped" earlier this year. There is a long lever that attaches to a small rod inside the left rear wheel. The cotter pin and washer came off, so moving the HT adjust handle did nothing. I had to get washer and cotter pin from hardware store to fix. Customer support wanted to charge me $5 for 45 cents of hardware, which should have been covered by warranty. Anyway, probably the same setup up front.
Photo of joe

joe

Oops. You must pry off hub cap and remove wheel to access this hardware. Sorry, forgot to mention that.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great info, Joe. Do you have any pictures of the repair?
Photo of joe

joe

Yes
Photo of joe

joe

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Thanks!
Photo of Dong Ho

Dong Ho

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have the same thing happened to my mower, it's not on the wheel but the whole axel, it made both wheel flopped, I noticed inside that the bar inside has an area where it should be held in by something but it's not leaving the axel to flop, I can't get to it unless I take the whole mower apart from the bottom.

If anyone has disassembly instructions if you would kindly share.
Photo of joe

joe

See below.
Photo of joe

joe

Dong Ho, see above. A short spindle goes thru the long adjustment lever. If you remove the left rear wheel(hub cap, then hex nut), you will see the groove in the spindle where the cotter pin goes. The long lever has a bit of spring to it, pushing out toward the wheel. Push it in to accommodate the cotter pin placement. Replace the wheel.
Photo of cognos

cognos

Thanks for the pictures.  I may be wrong but that looks like it would fix the back wheels not adjusting.

My issue is that the back wheel adjust but the front axel does not.

There must be something internal that connects the height adjustment so the back and front move together..

If I bring it in, they will ship it off for repairs but it would take 6-8 weeks...argh!!  I may bite the bullet and take it apart and see what I can find unless someone know what's up.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If you take the wheel off and take some pictures and post them here I'm sure someone will be able to offer you some better advice... could save you 6-8 weeks. ;-)
Photo of Dong Ho

Dong Ho

On my neighbors ego we couldn't take the axel off after we removed the two screws for the front wheels
Photo of joe

joe

Send it back to EGO's R&D Dept for analysis, so they can improve the design. This seems to be a real bugaboo with this model.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Dong Ho, looks like it came apart inside... unless you feel like disassembling the mower deck you'll be sending it in for warranty work.

If it's less than 90 days since purchase you can always exchange it for a new one at HD.
Photo of Dong Ho

Dong Ho

Thanks, I tried to get to it but it was all connected and seems like I'll have to disassemble the whole unit from the bottom, I'll probably take it to HD
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sadly you do. Lots of screws. The pin came out. But doable. On the 20" mower there are screws under screws. Lol. Lots of screws.
Photo of cognos

cognos

Here is a schematic I obtained.  It may be of use to someone.  I just used duct tape to get the front axle to stay put so I could get the rest of the lawn mowed for now, but will send it in after mowing season.
Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

• 2,884 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Where did you get it?
Photo of cognos

cognos

I am very disappointed with the quality of this $600 mower.

The thing that irks me the most is how we have no options on resolving the issue other than starting a very long process of trying to get my mower fixed.  With a traditional mower you could at least take it to the local small engine repair shop.

I think it is misleading to say that the Home Depot tool rental department is an official EGO Service Center when they do not do any service on the mower, but act more like a shipping department.

I am past the 90 day return limit, even though I've only used it 6 times since it was purchased.  I'm in Wisconsin so the 6-8 week turn around time puts me out of the rest of the mowing season.

It's embarrassing and aggravating to have to arrange a rental or borrow from someone just to mow my lawn after already spending $600 and donating my old mower to Goodwill.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
This is why Ego needs to allow any reputable lawn equipment repair shop (after vetting of course) to provide warranty service. These mowers are not very complicated and I am sure a "certified" technician program would not be hard to setup to allow repair shops techs to train on the units.

Most repairs would be simple parts swap and since all electronics are component based it would be a simple part swap repair to fix most issues. HD soooo needs to go and go quickly before Ego loses all credibility. 

It is proof with Honda rebranding many of the ego product line that the product stands up to Honda high standards. To get a responsible repair channel in place would increase customer loyalty and satisfaction when problems do come up.
Allow them to sell the accessories like blades, blower accessories and other Ego bling would only help sales. Making all Ego product line available direct from Amazon with a nationwide authorized repair centers would sell even more. 

I use to work in a multiline motorcycle dealer which also sold Echo and Honda lawn and power equipment. 2 days of training on the echo line I was certified to warranty repair all the Echo equipment. I was a certified Honda motorcycle tech back then and the 1 week of training I took for the Honda power equipment I was certified in warranty repair of that too.

Come on Ego...your customers are screaming for this.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Great points.

I've always owned GM cars and had good luck with them. Some people look at me like I'm from another planet when I say that. No, my cars have not been perfect, but I don't expect them to be and I like fixing things myself. This has two benefits; one, I know things are fixed properly with no "collateral damage", and two, it keeps me out of dealership service departments.

Number two is the biggie. While I've generally had good experiences with GM's cars, I've had TERRIBLE experiences with their dealerships. I don't have time to expand on this, but suffice to say that they could build the best car in the market and it wouldn't matter because a few painful trips to the dealer for service or repair can easily ruin the entire ownership experience. I've spent a lot of time in car forums over the years and I can't help but wonder how many upset customers could be avoided if the dealership service departments simply fixed stuff right, the first time, and in a reasonable amount of time.
(Edited)
Photo of Harry

Harry

• 2,802 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
My guess is that EGO signed an agreement with HD making them the EXCLUSIVE source of EGO equipment for sales and service to entice HD to handle the products when they were essentially unknown. That has now come back to bite EGO with HD's indifference to repair service.. I have stated this a couple times before on this forum and no one from EGO has opined to dispute this, so I sense it's mostly true.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
HD was the exclusive retail outlet before they handled service when Ego had another exclusive repair channel. Believe it or not, Home Depot was an improvement over the original repair channel.

Relatively low volume and high reliability, plus all tools being under warranty for at least over 2 more years probably doesn't help attract service outlets to repair Ego equipment.
Photo of Harry

Harry

David Cline: I agree with your assessment. My point is that, in the internet age where info flows freely, having a poor source of repair service will do nothng to promote the EGO brand. Had I been aware of the service issues before I bought the 21" SP last spring, I might have made a different decision.Fortunately, I'm fairly handy with repairs and can probably do most myself if EGO can supply the parts.But the repair issue will influence me not to buy any more EGO equipment until it's solved. Eventually everything will break and need some kind of service or parts.

Also EGO could reimburse a service chain for warranty repairs as is commonly done.

Photo of SteveK

SteveK

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Same problem with my 21 inch ego mower. Was mowing lawn and noticed the front wheels had dropped down to lowest setting. Just flop around and no longer seem connected to rear wheels. Really hoping this can be fixed without have to send mower in. Seems ridiculous for such a small problem. I was under the impression Home Depot would service these...guess not! Very disappointed. Had talked this mower up to many people. Had I known it would have to be sent back for any service, I wouldn't have bought it. 
Photo of Harry

Harry

I have written about the issue of repairs in other threads. EGO needs to establish a true nationwide maintenance capability to service their fine equipment, some one who stocks parts and can provide reasonable turnaround times. There are plenty of companies that do this for other manufacturers. HD is not interested in providing repair service. All they are looking for is sales. Until I see EGO solve this problem, I'm not going to buy any other of their tools. Just my opinion.
(Edited)
Photo of SteveK

SteveK

Decided to try and fix this problem on my own. Removed enough screws on front end to allow me to pry open front of mower to access linkage rod which was disconnected from front wheel axle (missing washer and e-clip). Went to hardware store and bought some e-clips. Was able to reconnect front linkage and install washer and new e-clip. So far so good. This appears to be a design flaw in that it doesn't take much for e-clip to fall off. Ego needs to redesign this for a more secure connection; maybe a true cotter pin rather than just an e-clip. Hoping my repair lasts as it was a bit of pain to access given I didn't want to disassemble the whole bottom on the mower. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Nicely done!!!
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

The e clip is probably used for faster assembly line assembly. If this happens with mine I will either use Stainless Steel Safety wire instead of the E clip (use to be a motorcycle racer) or remove the bar assembly and drill the pin to accept a cotter pin.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

After looking at some other pics this might already be drilled.
This pic shows use of a clevis pin. These still can pop out. Use a cotter pin with a washer for a better repair. The washer would tighten up the space you see in this pic and be less movement side to side. I would also dab a small smear of grease on the pin for smooth operation.

Photo of SteveK

SteveK

I was thinking the same thing but I couldn't locate any hole for a pin. Wonder if EGO changed the fastening method on the newer 21" model? If I recall correctly, this photo was the earlier 20" model.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

That might be. I will be drilling mine when and if my assembly comes apart.
Photo of albert

albert

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi Steve,

I'm having the exact same issue with my mower.  Do you have any pics of your fix or can you provide some more detail on what you did?

Thanks,
Photo of SteveK

SteveK

Hi Albert, sorry I don't have any pictures to share. As stated above, I just starting removing screws from underneath the front end (not the ones holding the axle in place) until I was able to pry open the bottom from the top. Found it helpful to use some type of shim to keep pry open so I could use both hands to reconnect linkage and installed new washer and e-clip. Good luck!
(Edited)
Photo of albert

albert

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
OK, so looking at the exploded schematic cognos posted above, I'll need to stick the nub at the end of #22 through the hole on the tab sticking up from #30 and secure it with #15 and #16.  Do you recall the size of the washer and eclip?  Thanks1
Photo of SteveK

SteveK

No I don't.  I recall I bought several sizes since I didn't have the specs and they were relatively inexpensive.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
In this thread, I have a picture of the lower chassis with the upper part of the mower removed:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/20-mower-field-repair-of-the-motor
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

aTE, I believe this thread was focusing on the 21" mower. I'm not sure how similar the 20" and 21" wheel height adjustment mechanisms are?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Albert, hint-hint, taking your mower apart will technically void your warranty. No one would blame you if you were "unsuccessful" fixing it yourself. ;-)
Photo of Harry

Harry

What good is a warranty if it takes 6-8 weeks, minimum, to get service?? I'd be taking mine apart as well.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Harry, I think you missed my point. ;-)
Photo of Harry

Harry

No I did not. The warranty exists on paper only. It's not practical with a 8+ week repair time. That's why I'm not buying any more Ego tools until this is fixed.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Pretty sure he was saying go ahead and try it. Got nothing to lose.. if you fail, put it back together as no one could know.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Thanks Jacob, I didn't think it would have to be spelled out, but...  :-/

Harry, about the only thing I've seen you post for months on end is how you are not going to be buying any more Ego tools.  We've heard your message, loud and clear, you don't have to keep repeating yourself.  This must be the twentieth time you've said exactly the same thing.
Photo of Harry

Harry

And I'll continue to do so until I see a response from Ego management that they acknowledge that a problem exists and they have a plan to address it. IMO it's important that newbie readers to this forum get exposed to all the good and bad of the Ego system before making a purchase decision. Plus I hope that my mower never breaks. Into my second year and all is good so far.

Remember that this is the outfit that cannot even get a high lift blade that is currently being manufactured into USA stock pipeline despite promises. 

BTW I went by my local Stihl dealer a few days ago looking at their battery powered offerings. This dealer is able to perform "most" repairs on site getting parts from Stihl in a few days if they don't have a stock. He said that not all Stihl dealers are currently able to service the battery powered tools, but many are. It requires a commitment to specialized training and parts stock. Something that Ego has chosen to ignore.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ego has a service procedure. Is it perfect? No. If you don't like it that's fine, but they don't owe you a personal explanation. To hear about it over and over is tiring, and tends to drag would-be productive conversations off course.

I'm not suggesting you should just mindlessly praise the company, that serves no purpose. But the constant negativity is getting old.

Consider how fortunate we are to have a company run forum in which we are free to discuss all things good and bad about these products. I'm glad to hear that Stihl has dealers that can get parts, but what happens when one of your Stihl products doesn't meet your expectations? At least Ego has this forum where your voice is heard by the company, and you have a direct line to information regarding new product releases and any potential fixes for issues you may have. If Stihl releases a new mower blade you'll find out about it once it hits the shelf at your local dealer, if you happen to notice it the next time you're there.

I'm not suggesting that Ego shouldn't have had their high lift blade in stock earlier as they suggested, what I'm saying is, with any other company it's very likely you wouldn't even find out about that new blade until it hit the stores.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,272 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Harry! We’re so sorry your mower has not performed as well as it’s supposed to. Please remember that our customer service line is free and here to help. They can be reached at seven days a week. Also, although Blue was correct regarding how personal repairs can sometimes void the warranty, the mower IS under warranty for five years.
(Edited)
Photo of Harry

Harry

Amber,

You need to rereads the posts. I'm not the one with the mower problem.

Harry

Photo of Amber F.

Yes, I was more responding to your recent posts.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Steve, thanks for sharing your fix with us. We're escalated this to our team for review for the future of the mower assembly.
Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

• 2,884 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I would like access to a schematic and wiring diagram, where can they be obtained?
Photo of Amber F.

Unfortunately, Jeff, we are not at liberty to share schematics.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.