On average, how many charge cycles can I expect from the 4ah battery?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I am trying to gauge the battery life with the new mower I bought, and the best way is to get an idea of how many charge cycles the battery is expected to last (and divide that by the number of times a year I mow). However I can't find this specification published anywhere. 
Photo of chadcf

chadcf

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Lithium Ion cells are typically good for over 1000 cycles. There is no data specific to the Ego packs that I'm aware of, so general statements will likely have to do for now. Regardless of your usage, if you are a home owner and not using them for commercial applications the packs are warrantied for 3 years.
Photo of Nick Basso

Nick Basso

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Here is what the mfg quoted me in an email when I asked that same question...
"...in regards to battery life, we cannot guarantee the life duration of our batteries, as the battery life is usually measured in terms of recharge cycles. It is nearly impossible to predict the number of cycles your battery will produce because of varying environmental conditions. "
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Nick, the same holds true for any battery from any company. Life expectancy will vary depending on numerous factors. Ego guarantees the battery to be defect free for three years.

If you compare that to say, a car battery, most car battery warranties are pro-rated, so if they fail during the warranty period you only get partial reimbursement.
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I was paying $25 per week to have my lawn cut and could easily purchase a new Ego mower, battery, and charger every year and still save quite a bit of money! I do believe though that the equipment will last much longer and I have made a wise investment.
(Edited)
You'd be saving money only if your time is worth nothing, but I hear ya.  
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
When I am cutting my lawn my time is exactly worth what I was paying the lawn service to do the same work. The only differences are that I do the job better and I don't have to write them a check so my money stays with me.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,398 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I believe that you won't find any different answer from any different manufacturer.  It IS a battery.  The EGO design keeps the batteries cool, so expect slightly better results from EGO than some of these cheap sealed batteries.  They do generate a LOT of heat.
10-4, Tim1951.  I have never paid anyone to cut my grass, and definitely won't start now that I'm all outfitted with this new-fangled EGO stuff.  Glad your saving cash, while not polluting the environment :)

I just cut my parent's lawn, and my momz was all jealous, said she wants to sell her gas-polluting one and get one like mine.  I told her there was no need, since I happily care for her yard, but she still wants one anyway.  

Her neighbors also stopped me to ask about it.  They were amazed at how quiet it was, then they got all loud with their gas-guzzlers and I think they were jealous.  

I bet in 5 years or so, gas yard machines will be a thing of the past.  EGO has finally made machines worthy of the switch.  Finally.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Gas lawn equipment will have its place for a while yet. That place is less and less likely the garage of small to medium sized lots.

Until we see a quantum leap in battery storage capacity, anyway. It's been right around the corner for a while now... until then we'll have the slow and steady improvement of current and evolving LiIon chemistries.