Offer a 7.5 Ah battery with hand held blowers

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Under Consideration
I'm on the fence with my 580 blower and 5 Ah battery combo. After reading all I could about run time on Full Turbo mode I am disappointed in it's run time. I'm using it in Canada strictly for fresh snow, getting after it the next day before it becomes hard. I'm getting 15-18 min. This is my second blower kit as the first one cratered on me, giving shocks and lost power on regular speed (3 weeks in) I live in the country and had to venture 90 min again to pick up the second one.  I hoped the new one would last longer but no. It would be a great idea to offer a 7.5 Ah with a blower.  I could use another 10 min of blow time. In Canada the 7.5 Ah costs the same as the 580 + 5.0 Ah kit.  It would be nice to have a choice up front.
Photo of Sheldon

Sheldon

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated.

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 111,738 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
18 minutes is exactly what Ego says the blower will run on Boost mode, so I am confused why you are disappointed.
A hand held blower is heavy with a 5.0 battery - I doubt one will ever be offered with a 7.5 battery due to the weight.  That is a custom configuration you would have to create yourself.

Have you tried using the blower with pulses of boost mode rather than constant.  This often gets the job done a greatly extends the run time.

Photo of Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

• 158 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Keep reading use of these blowers for snow. Isn't that a no-no with battery blowers??
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 111,706 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ego says do not use while it is snowing (as this greatly increases the risk of snow thru the intake and thus a short) but ok to use on snow when there is not snow in the air.
(Edited)
Photo of Sheldon

Sheldon

Great rule of thumb. It’s easy to blow when there is no snow in the air- until you pull the trigger
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,852 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have been using my Ego snow blowers for the last 3 years to blow snow off my front porch and never had a short.  Obviously, I don't blow toward the wind or when it is still snowing heavily outside.  My porch is covered, so I am not taking much of a chance of having a short. I would not use it in an open space because then I would be pushing my luck. By the way, it works great. 
Photo of Sheldon

Sheldon

I think with some foreword thinking ego could come up with a great product for snow. It all depends on their willingness to listen to and understand consumer needs and issues.
Photo of Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

• 158 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thinking it would only require some type of advanced filter housing to cover the intake.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

• 1,734 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sheldon, From Canada as well - been using my 530 cfm with a 2.5 amp battery. I have a lot of concrete on my property and found that with the use of mid settings and engage turbo when required - I have not ran out of power. This January - I have used the blower 6 times and each time with the same results. If you are wanting to go with the 7.5 amp, I would think it will get pretty heavy as you go. For back up - I did purchase another 2.0 amp but I have not had to use it at all. As far as getting shocks - appears that snow is getting into the air intake. We are pushing the blowers as its advertised as a leaf blower and not really meant for snow. 
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 78,730 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Shocks are a result of not being grounded to the leaf blower handle. One typically wears gloves when blowing snow and the static buildup has nowhere to go. There is a grounding strip in the handle of the leaf blowers to dissipate that static but with gloves on it can't dissipate and so the operator gets a static shock.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

• 1,734 Points 1k badge 2x thumb