Oct. 2017 7.5 Ah Battery Purchase Made in Dec. 2014

• Question
  • Updated 12 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I just purchased a "new" standalone 7.5 Ah battery from Union Wheel, an officially authorized reseller in Alberta, Canada in Oct. 2017.

The battery was definitely in new/unused condition but I noticed on putting it into the charger it said it was manufactured in Dec. 2014.

I've used it a bit in my 21" SP mower and it seems to be holding up the same as my other batteries, but, still.. I don't know.

1. Would EGO still honour the 3 year battery warranty based on the date of purchase and not the manufacturing date?

2. Do you think I should request a replacement/contact the store about this? They've been good to me so far (made a few purchases from them now)/I don't know if this was intentional, but with limited battery life expectancy I feel pretty uneasy about this.

The mower I purchased this spring came with a 2016 battery which is one thing but this battery is already almost 2 years old. Sure it seems to be holding up now but how about in 3 years? They do charge considerably less than Home Depot but still I did pay full price.

Only thing is it was $20 to ship it here the first time so I don't know their policy on return & replacement shipping costs (if they even allow that).

Thoughts?
Photo of EGO Southwestern Ontario

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,280 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Ego has previously stated that the warranty is based on the purchase date, not the date of manufacture.  Lithium Ion batteries, if stored properly, e.g. at 30-50% charged state will not lose very much capacity, which is caused by charge/discharge cycles.  Typical customer experience has been that _if_ a battery will fail, it will do so in the first year.  There have not been very many reports of battery capacity falling way off; and even if it did, as long as you're within the three year period, you are covered for a replacement.  My vote is to not worry about it.