Observation on new mower and HD warranty issues

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
I just purchased the new 21" SP mower. So far it cuts grass fine, but performs poorly when loose leaves, twigs, or pine cones are on the lawn. It does not possess a decent sweeping action as my prior gas mover did. Not sure if this is due to poor design of the blade or a lack of power to lift such impediments off the lawn. Anyone else having this problem? Perhaps it's a defective blade.

Also be advised that the Home Depot extended warranty DOES NOT cover the battery. I was considering buying the ext. warranty and asked questions of the rep. It quickly became obvious all he as interested in was selling the warranty, not explaining it. I asked for a copy of the "fine print" and found that HD considers the battery as a consumable item which is not covered. I confirmed this with HD. I did not buy the warranty.
Photo of Harry

Harry

• 2,802 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Great info on the warranty!!! I bet a LOT of people just buy those warranties and find out the hard way it was a waste of money. You have probably saved many people from having that experience by posting it here.

As far as the blade lift goes, this is a characteristic of the original 20" mower as well. I believe what we're seeing is an effort to increase grass cutting efficiency, finding a trade-off where only adequate lift for grass cutting is available. Adding more lift to the blade/deck design likely takes more battery power.

I can say that on height setting 3 on the 20"'mower, grass cutting performance is really good. However, with my grass type if I try to cut it on setting 4 the grass is long enough that it's laying down and some patches won't cut properly.

I would imagine a stiffer leaf grass species would cut fine on setting 4... but not my patchy mishmash grass.
Photo of ffteam

ffteam

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I also have 21 SP and it does not pick up loose leaves/twigs well. However to be honest with you I didn't expect it to nor would I want to. Part of the reason is that you want your height setting to be high and only clip the grass so it remains healthy. Unless there's a vacuum feature how will low laying leaves/twigs be picked up? 
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I would advise clearing your lawn of everything but leaves here and there before attempting to cut it anyhow.
(Edited)