Not mulching well

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

I have had my mower for a few months now and have only used it approx 6 or 7 times. Today I tried mowing and it just isn't mulching good.  The grass builds up under the deck.  The grass is not any higher than normal.  I checked the mulching plug and it is inserted correctly. Could it be the blade after that few mowings? I raised the height to 4 and it seemed to be better, but I normally mow on 3.  Thanks
Photo of Melinda

Melinda

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Melinda,

I've played around with this issue a little myself.  My mower mulches best when I sharpen the blade and make sure my grass isn't damp.  If I cut it a day after a rain, the grass is very moist and doesn't mulch as well, and also tends to clump.  Several of us do clean and spray silicone on the bottom of the deck, which really does help with the clumping.  Just grab a roll of paper towels, clean the underside of the deck.  Spray it well and wipe it down.  First time is a bit messy, but the more you do it, the cleaner it stays.

Have a great Day!
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If raising the height helps then it's most likely the blade. But the only way to know for sure is to look at it.

The metal is pretty soft, and the blade comes from the factory not very sharp, so it is definitely possible. But you may find that there are dents in the blade, which I see several times per month. No idea what it's hitting because I clean up any visible objects before mowing. I think it may be hard seeds coming from my wife's garden, but I'm not really sure.

Either way, I find that I get optimal performance if I sharpen my blade after every 1-2 mowings of my 7,000 sq ft yard.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
David,

I too experience pitting on the blade edge, and that is from my front yard which has no twigs, rocks, anything.  It really is a soft metal.  I'm thinking about trying one of those cheap lawn mower blade sharpeners that has a handle.  8 bucks on amazon.  The reviews say it works well if you keep it sharp and don't let it get dull. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
In addition to the suggestions above, I find that slowing down a little helps over the thicker areas of my lawn. Now, it must be said that my lawn is not a poster worthy example of thick, lush vegetation. Obviously, a lawn that is consistently thick and well maintained will not benefit from my method unless just slowing down in general is acceptable (likely not).

If the mower was doing a better job previously, I would suggest the blade may be getting dull (as mentioned ). The blade is easy to change, and many people find having a spare blade makes periodic sharpening much easier since the spare can be sharpened at your convenience.
Photo of Thomas Heath

Thomas Heath

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is the blade sharp

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.