Nobody answers phone, can't respond to post without signing up with thrid party, what gives?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

Battery flashing like crazy after only 6 months of light use, nobody answers customer service phone. Will change my online review of your product from very good to very crappy if someone does not get back to me fast. What a poor way to treat customers; Guess I won't be buying any more of your tools. Your loss.
Photo of Roger Topping

Roger Topping

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated and angry

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Roger, did you try the call back option?

Also, Ego’s lines are busy. Calling early in the morning usually gets you through with reduced wait times.
Photo of Roger Topping

Roger Topping

First time I tried the callback option, I got the same message about wait times but by a different voice , then pushed the zero key about 5 times and then finally got the callback option.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,294 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience, Roger. We totally understand your frustration, but are pleased to see that you were able to connect with Customer Service this morning. Thank you for giving us a chance to make this right! 
Photo of Roger Topping

Roger Topping

Talked to customer service rep re: problem with battery. Sent her email of purchase confirmation. waiting for confirmation from her that I will be receiving a new battery. It seems that you folks recommend not charging battery after use but before use and that long term storage should be at approximately 1/3 charge. (This is a little inconvenient). However there is no indicator on the battery to indicate what the charge is like the charge indicator lights on Sunjoe lithium batteries. Perhaps you folks can build that in so the consumer can readily follow this recommendation and you don't get so many warranty complaints.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Roger, Ego’s batteries automatically discharge to 30% capacity after 30 days of inactivity. All you need to do is put them on a shelf when you’re done with them. ;-)
Photo of Roger Topping

Roger Topping

That's not what two customer service reps told me. They said to put battery on charger for maybe 5 minutes after getting red light, then only charge fully just before one is going to use the battery in a tool. Maybe an EGO engineer can chime in and give us the real answer.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That is basically a best practice for weekly use. Personally that’s the way I charge my batteries; I drain them cutting the lawn to whatever charge level they happen to be at, and then charge them immediately before using them.

That is definitely NOT a requirement for using the batteries, however. Most people will choose to charge them after use so that they are ready to go whenever they are needed. The difference between the two approaches is not something that as well defined, but in theory the first option should result in slightly better longevity.

The mechanism I speak of above is completely different. That’s where if you store the battery for longer periods of time without use it automatically goes into a long-term storage mode after 30 days. This ensures that the battery is not sitting for long periods fully charged which can result in slightly decreased long term battery performance.

The long-term storage mode is primarily intended to protect the battery during off-season storage where it would generally sit for several months unused.
Photo of Amber F.

Definitely. When fully charged, the battery will discharge down to the 30% area after 30 days, which is optimal for battery storage. However, you can also just charge the battery for a small period of time after the battery is solid red and it will also be in that healthy range. Neither one is wrong, just two different ways of doing it.
Photo of Roger Topping

Roger Topping

Well then I guess I just got a bad battery. I was skeered I did something wrong because of confusing instructions. Will let everybody know when I get new battery and am once again a happy camper. Then maybe I will buy the snow blower!!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,488 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Man with a plan - I like it !
Photo of Roger Topping

Roger Topping

Well, I just got shipping info that new battery is on the way. Ego's customer service interface could use a little work to make it a little less confusing and frustrating if one can't get through (like one message saying one will get callback based on their calling position and another saying someone will call back in 24 hours) but they did call back and respond to these posts and send me a new battery. Now if someone could tell me what to do with blinking battery, (how to dispose of it?, use it till it dies completely?, will it blow up?, etc.) I would be happier camper!
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,412 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I've been wondering about what Ego tells people to do with the bad batteries. They don't want them back? That seems kind of crazy as they could be troubleshot, refurbished and put back on the market depending on the level of refurbishment required. 
Photo of Roger Topping

Roger Topping

One would think, what can go wrong? Bad cell,  bad PCB, bad  fan , bad connection? One would think that somebody's going to refurbish these things if EGO doesn't, the batteries are to pricey not to have some residual value.
Photo of Amber F.

We recommend recycling the batteries. There's a phone number listed on the actual battery that will provide you with a list of facilities in your area.
Photo of gregrapp

gregrapp

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You make a great point about the battery not showing charge level - it's either green for good or red for bad.  I don't want to charge it every time I use it, but if it's 25% I'd like to know so I can top it up before next use, rather than having the battery die on me minutes into a job.
Photo of Roger Topping

Roger Topping

Like maybe a yellow LED to show its at 30-40% which is the preferred charge for long term storage> Kill two birds with one stone. Also, I've read that running batteries only down to 30% instead of 15% when the red LED comes on extends their useful life.
PS EGO did send me a new battery, can't complain about that!!!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.