Nexus Escape usage and spec questions

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Hi. I bought my Nexus Escape for power outages from hurricanes. I have 5 batteries from various EGO products. EGO yard tools have been a lifesaver for me.

Is the rated output (combined 4.2 amps at 5 volts) correct on the USB ports? My phone will not switch to "fast charging", which only requires 2.0 amps at 5 volts. It will "fast charge" if I plug it's AC fast charger into the EGO, but how much loss is occurring going from DC to AC to DC? 

In addition to charging my phone I would like to buy a small fan, light, and portable TV for the Escape to power (not all at the same time). But considering the problems with the AC (square wave) and the (lower than rated?) output of the USB ports, I'm uncertain as to what the Escape can handle, and therefore, what to buy.

Thanks for your help. I welcome all advice and recommendations (especially on which products the Escape can successfully power)! 
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 478 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,738 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Here's a link to a thread with some items that worked and some that didn't. Within that thread is a link to another thread with things that worked and didn't.

Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,938 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I believe the USB ports on the nexus escape are relatively "dumb" and may not have the power negotiation protocols your phone is expecting to "hear" before it starts to draw the full 2 amps. My understanding is that the AC inverter is "running" any time the unit is on, so I suspect that using your cell phone's regular switch mode power supply with the nexus won't draw TOO much more power than just using the USB ports. (It may even use less total power, if it charges your cell phone faster allowing you to leave the nexus inverter turned off more of the time.....)

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 92,190 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Single speed fan will work better.  Multi speed devices do not play well with the square wave.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,938 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Agreed. I had to buy a single temp hot glue gun, as my "hi"/"Low" selectable hot glue gun wouldn't work with it. I have a 3-speed fan that spins with it, but it takes almost the same amount of power regardless of which of the speeds it is set to, and makes a horrible buzzing sound in the low/medium settings.
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 478 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks everyone for the tips and explanations! I've ordered 2 USB powered fans, 1 USB powered light, and a small portable TV with a rechargeable lithium ion battery. The light uses 1.2 amps, the fans each use less than 2 amps, so I should be able to use any 2 with the Escape's USB outlets. 

I read that square wave inverters should work fine with AC battery chargers, but are just NOT a good idea for powering AC motors (as your comments indicate). I did try to power 2 different, very small AC fans with mine and they both made the humming noise and barely moved any air. I'll experiment with all of my equipment and post my findings next week.  

(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,066 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Look forward to your report