New Year, New Tools!

• Announcement
  • Updated 3 months ago
We're beyond pleased to announce that the EGO Power+ lineup has grown! Please join us in officially welcoming these new tools to our family:

Power+ 24" Brushless Hedge Trimmer: Bare Tool AND Kit (includes 2.5Ah battery and standard charger)
https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-hedge-trimmers/products/power-24-brushless-hedge-trimmer

Power Head System 8" Edger Bare Tool
https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-head/products/power-head-system-8-edger-bare-tool

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 54,050 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
  • Excited

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,754 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That new hedge trimmer looks SWEET! 1” cut capacity! Sign me up!!!

And finally a complete bare-tool edger for those who already have a string trimmer, what a brilliant idea! :-)

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike

• 15,862 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
So the edger is part of the power head system? It looks like it also includes the power head in the $129 price. Is that correct?
Exciting. 
Photo of Amber F.

• 54,030 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You are correct: it includes the Power Head and an edger attachment. :-) 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 42,158 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Wow! that's a great deal.  That is $20 less the the powerhead alone.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I suspect the $129 price is incorrect (the power head alone is $150) even though the site lets me add it to my cart:

My advice? BUY IT RIGHT NOW before the price goes to $199 where it probably should be!!!!! Don’t make me say “I told you so!” :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The new hedge trimmer is $99, which is probably an error also. Get em now! :-)

Why aren’t these in Canada yet... :-(
Photo of mike

mike

• 976 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
If my round trip to an american home depot wasn't 9 hours I would definitely pick both up
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 5,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
hedge trimmer shows $199 for me. oh sorry, $99 tool only
(Edited)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Now how am I going to explain a new edger in January in Chicagoland to my wife?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. ;-)
Photo of Rich Z

Rich Z

• 782 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Easy. Order it NOW, because this stuff will likely be sold out in the Spring.

Honestly, I haven't used the hand held hedge trimmer even once since I bought the attachment trimmer for my power head system.  And I haven't used the edger at all, as I prefer the Black & Decker power cord model I have, since it feels a a lot more stable and controllable around my garage apron.

If EGO does introduce the hedge trimmer power head attachment in the USA market, my recommendation would be to beef up or harden the metal of the case where the blade rubs against it in use.  The blade is long, so in use there is a lot of lateral force being applied to that area, particularly at the very end where it seems the bulk of the heavy cutting gets done. Which caused quite a bit of wear in my case.  I oiled the blade before every use, and WD-40d the blade after use to clean it off.  So it's not like I abused it.  I do like this tool, but the soft metal of that case the blade rides in will not be conducive to any sort of longevity with regular hard use.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 12,702 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yes, I prefer hardened steel blades, something that will last.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Yes, I prefer hardened steel blades, something that will last.
Photo of Rich Z

Rich Z

So how is that edger "new"?  I bought one that looks identical from Home Depot back in August.

Well in a way I'm glad you haven't gotten around to offering the hedge trimmer attachment quite yet.  I just bought two more of them from England, and I'm sure I paid more than had it been available at the local Home Depot. The first one I got has developed lateral play in the blade, so I wanted a couple of backups in case I use it up. I opened it up to take a look and it just looks like wear on the case head is causing the play.  No way to fix it without replacing the casing, but it doesn't look like it is in danger of coming apart.  Anyway, it's become my favorite lawn tool, so if it were to break, I didn't want to be without one.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 43,128 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
They don't look identical. They're similar, but there are noticeable differences if you go to the product page and look at the photos side by side.

The original trimmer has been on the market for a few years now. It does not have a brushless motor, and has a 3/4-inch cut capacity.

The new trimmer has a brushless motor and a 1-inch cut capacity.

And I still wouldn't rule out the multi-tool hedge trimmer attachment coming to the U.S. this year I have a feeling Ego will be making more announcements as we get closer to spring.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,036 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ken, I think the edger is the same. Ego’s product page links to two separate manuals, not a new system. I believe the difference is that the edger is now packaged with the powerhead alone. Before you could get the kit with the string trimmer alone, or the string trimmer with edger, but not the edger alone.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I apologize, you are correct. Rich wrote edger and I read hedger.
Photo of Amber F.

• 53,344 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You're both spot on: there have been no changes to the edger. We're just offering it as a bare tool now due to popular demand. The new hedge trimmer, however, is significantly improved due to the brushless motor and 1" capacity. 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

You can tell which tool I'm most excited about! Time to retire my last Black & Decker lawn tool.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,036 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Szwoop, you’re like 3 minutes late... you’re so out of touch! :-D
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 40,520 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What you talkin bout BA ?  :) :)
Photo of Arun A

Arun A

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
So this new hedge trimmer is more powerful than last years model ..correct?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
No direct word on power output, but with a much higher 1” cut capacity (up from 3/4”) one might guess it is more powerful.

To be honest, on branches up to 3/4” I find the current trimmer works very well. If the new one is indeed more powerful it will be quite the weapon!
Photo of Arun A

Arun A

Thanks I eagerly await new products!! I have the previous hedge trimmer. I will be ordering this one this week!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Be sure to let us know how it works!
Photo of Texas Lawn

Texas Lawn

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Just placed my order online, and I can’t wait to try it out! I have been using the EGO string trimmer to clean up my edges since my gas multi tool quit on me. They are starting to get a little messy so the EGO edger was a must buy.
Photo of Arun A

Arun A

I'm more so waiting for a new backpack blower. I'll be the 1st person to order one!!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 41,132 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What are you looking to change from the current backpack blower
Photo of Arun A

Arun A

A trigger lock for one. Holding the safety trigger,trigger & the boost for 30mins is not fun lol. Second I would love to see more Cfm/mph. I'm power hungry lol. I want to be able to compete with the BR700's & Pb 770's is all.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Unless they switch to LiPo (which are a bit dangerous for regular consumers), I do not see BR-700 strength any time soon, but I do see 650CFM, maybe a little bit more.

If you want to compete with the 700, try doubling up on the new 580 units.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Christmas in mid-January!

...excited and waiting for spring.

(Was wondering I registered this last night and it doesn’t show up on my account. Does it take time until it appears?)

Mike
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Nice!

If it doesn’t show up in your account after a few days give Ego Customer Service a call to make sure everything is set up properly.
Photo of Amber F.

Official Response
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Looks like I'm getting another blower.
Photo of Arun A

Arun A

Good news! Bare tool option for blower available?
Photo of Amber F.

• 53,634 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Not at this stage, but we'll be sure to post when/if that option becomes available. 
Photo of Arun A

Arun A

No problem. I've been wanting a 5ah battery anyway. Just ordered mine!!
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 1,810 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled What's new from Ego this year?.

Just curious if anything new has been announced. I use ego handhelds almost exclusively for my business and so far so good . Hoping for their updated hedge trimmer showing up here but haven't heard.
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

A little follow up on the new brushless hedge trimmer. I have been using it for about the last week and so far pretty much so good. I like the more compact power head, the wider cut and surprisingly the tip guard. I don't like the safety and may need to adjust it. Back to the wider cut.......much better. 3000 cpm and 1" cut capacity is a nice balance. On a point that really doesn't matter it also sounds better...crisper and nicer motor sound. I am ordering a second one tonight.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,698 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
One for each hand... nice!

Great feedback! Sounds like a pretty nice tool.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 42,046 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Edward scissor hands takes a back seat to bigfoot
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

Quick update:

Used the new brushless hedge trimmer on a overgrown Escallonia hedge today...heavy use...really top end before either needing a chainsaw or hand pruned. I have a $500 plus gas hedge trimmer with equal specs on size and speed and I really can't tell you it would have done any better and this thing will repeatedly cut near its maximum. The entire job lasted nearly six hours with clean up and I just went through two 2.5 ah batteries. For a commercial guy and priced way under $200 bare tool these things are a no brainer. If they last a year great...if not so what....no gas, little vibration, no noise, no crappy California gas...no real maintenance other than clean, oil and keep them sharp.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 27,174 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Fantastic, thanks for sharing!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Great report bigfoot.  Thanks
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That new 580 cfm blower looks sweet, and especially for that PRICE!!! Barely more than the battery alone!!!

Honestly, 5 more cfm than the 575 doesn’t do much for me. What DOES is the maximum run time of 200 minutes compared to only 120 min on the 575. This means the lowest speed on the 580 should be much lower, meaning easier to control around the mulch in our gardens.

And last but not least, the return of the Boost button! With a 5Ah battery it’s not as big a deal, but I did miss the Turbo button on the 575. So the 580 fixes the two small dislikes I had with the 575. Bam! :-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 42,198 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It's like they made it just for you :)
Photo of Amber F.

How'd you find out?!?
Photo of Aaron K

Aaron K

• 412 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Looks like a new addition to the Power Head system is now available for purchase at Home Depot!

56-Volt Hedge Trimmer Attachment for Power Head System ($149.00)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Volt-Hedge-Trimmer-Attachment-for-Power-Head-System-HTA2000/303703380
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 39,310 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Nice find Aaron.  A lot of people have been waiting for that baby to show up in the US.
Photo of Rich Z

Rich Z

Figures.... I just bought two more of these from England.  :/ Wish EGO had given a heads-up that this was coming instead of just sneaking it into the lineup in the USA.
Photo of Kambz

Kambz

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I been waiting for that hedge Trimmer attachment. It has been bought
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 136,388 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Woohoo! Come to papa!!!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 42,522 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This will undoubtedly be my first new tool of 2018. Ego has been saying for months it was probably coming to the U.S. this year. This is a nice reward for those of us who were patient.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 5,370 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
New owner of the new (to the USA) Power Head Hedge Trimmer Attachment and extension:

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 136,388 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nice!!!
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Supposed to be in the mid/high 40's Sunday - might have to try this bad boy out .

Mike
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 39,310 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes you do.  The new out of the box picture is nice, but we need action shots and a full review !  :)
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

My hedge trimmer attachment arrived recently, too, and it's a beast! But the foot of snow surrounding my shrubs has dampened my enthusiasm for trying it out.

We're seeing a warming trend where I live, though, so it might get used next weekend. Fingers crossed.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

My exact thoughts - "beast." Ha - I wrote a short post yesterday and must have forgotten to hit reply.

I tried it out yesterday on one of my decorative trees where I could stand on the dry pavement. You need to plan ahead where you are going to assemble this especially with the extension not only because of the length but also the weight. It worked great for the small trimming I did - I could easily reach 10'. This tool with extension is so long and has sizeable mass that warrants you to plan ahead and know your surroundings.

Mike

(P.S. to EGO - this like my power head and edger came in the OEM box with only tabs holding the box closed. Would really like to suggest EGO put a couple pieces of tape over the tabs.)
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Sounds like I might have to finally get around to ordering an Ego shoulder strap!
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

It's good to be back to the EGO forum after being gone for so long.  HOORAH FOR THE NEW TOOLS!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 39,894 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hopefully it was a nice long vacation in the sun
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 16,256 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I bet I'd like that one a lot better than the one I bought in 2016. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

probably
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 43,552 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
https://www.facebook.com/egopowerplus/videos/1615660365190089/

This video just showed up in my Facebook feed. It should pique some interest around here.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

What a tease !
Although I am very interested in the product, I am disappointed by that video for leaving us hanging.
States it is not a jet, so perhaps a jet pack type device. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike

Oooo, carbon fiber...something?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Can you sharpen carbon fiber ?  New mower with a carbon fiber blade ?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Maybe a lightweight hover mower???

Man... tease is right!
Photo of MattW

MattW

• 1,292 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I found the answer hiding overseas if you really care to find out early, but won't spoil the party here.
Photo of Kambz

Kambz

overseas as in the uk?
Photo of MattW

MattW

Ding.
Photo of mike

mike

I searched for "carbon fiber" on the UK website but did not find anything. I thought that might do the trick but nope. I don't see any different/new products on the UK page. The extension for the power head looks different but that can't be it.
Photo of Kambz

Kambz

Yeah , I didn't find anything new on the UK website with carbon fiber either :O~.
Photo of MattW

MattW

I didn't say anything about the Ego website...
Photo of mike

mike

fair enough, I guess I'll just have to reluctantly wait one more day ;-)
Photo of MattW

MattW

It's on the HD website now.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

and Ego's
https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-string-trimmers/products/15-string-trimmer-with-rapid-rel...

string trimmer with a carbon fiber shaft and awesome auto loading system
(Edited)
Photo of MattW

MattW

Not anymore!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The teasing continues!!!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,192 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Meh... I guess it's cool that Ego is releasing new products, but until a tool-only kit comes out, I have no interest in this.  I already have plenty of batteries.  :(  And what scares me is it has been some time since the 580 CFM hand blower came out, and there is still no tool-only kit, so it's possible this new carbon shaft string trimmer might suffer the same fate (in which case, I'll never buy it).
Photo of MattW

MattW

It's been one month since the 580 came out...
Photo of MattW

MattW

BTW for those who didn't find the new product hiding overseas I was looking here: 
http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/38cm-2.7mm-twin-line-var.-speed--bike-handle--rear-mounted-brus...

The one on there seems to be different from the U.S. in that it has a rear motor like the powerhead, bicycle handle grip, and .105" line capacity.  I want that one!  Why does Europe get all the cool stuff and we get less?
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

It's only been 1 month since the 580 came out?  I didn't know that - my bad!  Well hopefully both the 580 and the new string trimmer with carbon fiber shaft & quick-load will have tool-only options before things start turning green around here.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Thanks for finding and posting MattW
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Holy crap - that was fast!  I wonder what the hold up is for the new 580 hand blower tool-only (which arguably could be used for light snow removal this season)?  Weird.
(Edited)
Photo of Arun A

Arun A

I'm hearing it won't be out until spring. I went ahead & bought it. I wanted a 5ah battery. I already have a 7.5ah but needed something smaller for the blower. I do a commercial property with the 580. Love it! Still waiting on a more powerful backpack blower Ego.
(Edited)
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Arun A: the current backpack blower at 600 CFM isn't strong enough??!   Out of the 19 gas backpack blowers at HD, only 5 or 6 are faster than 600 CFM, and they all cost at least $100 USD more than EGO's.  
(Edited)
Photo of Arun A

Arun A

The 580 is stronger than the 600 imo. I had the 600 and a 530 cfm to begin with. The 530 had more power. I even did the volleyball test & the 530 pushed the ball farther than my 600. I have pictures that prove it. Also the trigger layout on the 600 is bad for long periods of use. Holding the safety,trigger & boost for 30mins hurts like hell.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Arun: really?  Wow - that's surprising, as the volley ball test really does rely on basic physics (Bernoulli's Principle, as in, the more air that is pushed around the ball, the higher it goes due to lower pressure).   If the 580 and 530 were pushing the ball higher than the 600, that tells me that either 1. the 600 was defective, 2. you didn't have the 600 on full power, or 3. EGO's estimate of CFM/air speed is wrong for the 600 (which seems unlikely).    
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The BP blower uses a slightly larger diameter tube, so velocity for a given flow rate will be lower. This would impact the volleyball test.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

That would explain his Bernoulli's Principle test results.  I wonder if he added the nozzle at the end of the BP blower if that would improve things?
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If Ego made a nozzle for the BP blower he could try it! ;-)
Photo of kipchoge

kipchoge

• 60 Points
On the Home Depot page, it says the max pole length for the pole saw is 4.33 ft? That doesn't seem like much of a pole. Is that correct? If so, any plans to introduce a significantly longer pole?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike

• 14,050 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Guessing you mean the pole saw that attaches to the power head? If so, adding the extension pole and, of course, the power head to the pole saw results in about 10' total. Subtract 33" from that if not using the extension pole. Note, all lengths from Home Depot pages to keep in line with your question.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 16,256 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Anyone here besides myself feel like EGO is taking a page out of the Apple playbook by making small yearly updates?  USUALLY, garden equipment changes very little from year to year; same as automotive and woodworking equipment.  A GOOD design lasts a long time.  I have a lot of woodworking equipment and the bandsaw, planer, jointer, et al have changed negligibly in over 16 years.

If the designs were so good, they shouldn't need to keep changing every 12 months.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 43,512 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You're right, automakers never come out with new models from one year to the next.

Ego is a relatively new brand. I see nothing wrong with them listening to customer feedback and then tweaking designs a bit. As far as I can tell, the existing 15-inch trimmer is going to continue to be offered, so customers have a choice of what to buy, depending upon the features that are important to them. It's not like the trimmer you already own is suddenly obsolete.

All the major lawn tool companies offer multiple models in any given category. Stihl, for example, currently offers seven different battery-powered weed trimmers, nine gas-powered weed trimmers for homeowners, and seventeen professional gas weed trimmers. Oh, and they have one corded electric model as well.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

A good design last a long time may be true, but enhancements like an auto load on a string trimmer are great, wanted, and needed enhancements.  And as I have stated before re Ego, with the electronic aspects of their tools -  their tools are as much a technology purchase as mechanical one.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

If EGO is talking cues from Apple for product design and releases, we should all be very confident that they will be around for a long time making fantastic battery powered tools.  ;)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,698 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If Ego is destined to be the Apple of OPE, they will slowly but surely take over the world. Muhuhuhaha!
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 5,430 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Dave - Woodworking is my main hobby too and I totally disagree with you on things not changing in 16 years (just ask my pocketbook or my wife). Although, I did recently fully restore a 1950 Unisaw table saw. If I could afford it I would love to have a SawStop table saw with flesh sensing technology. With EGO as long as the improvements don't prevent me from using my current tools for a long time, bring on the new tools.
Photo of MattW

MattW

Surprise!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Volt-EGO-POWER-and-Back-Pack-Link-BH1001/303703086

Also see a powerhead, edger, battery and charger kit up, as well as the bare tool carbon fiber shaft trimmer.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 39,814 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Awesome - more new tools

Although it is not the mega battery pack available in Europe (I think that is actually made by another Chervon company that only does business in Europe) this is certainly the next best thing for those that need 7.5 ah of power but do not want it in their hands. 
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

That's pretty bad @ss - and something I could have used this past fall.  I was using a couple of 7.5 Ah batteries with my hand blower, and the weight did get a little tiresome after a bit.  
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 27,154 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Now that is something I can definitely use with my 7.5 Ah battery.  I have a 600 CFM backpack blower and it is very comfortable to wear.  This new tool looks to be of the same design, so that is a good thing.  Thanks MattW for posting the link ... :-)
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike

• 14,326 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That's pretty awesome. I wonder how much the adapter part weighs.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I imagine next to nothing.  It is just a plastic shell with the connections for power.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike

• 14,326 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I'm thinking the same thing. Just curious.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I like how HD categorized the power back pack
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike

I would LOVE to see that Powerload head available as an upgrade (retrofit) item to my 15" trimmer head. 
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Any update on when the brushcutter attachment will come to Canada? Seems odd that it’s in the UK and Australia, but not Canada...
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 39,566 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Brush cutter is not available in North America at this time.  Although with HD CA issues, you may want to keep an eye on Union Wheel and other smaller shops as a more likely option of where you may see it first.