NEW Rapid Reload Head for 15" Trimmer

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
Coming to a Home Depot near you (soon)!

"All the power of gas, without the noise, fuss and fumes now with the Rapid Reload Head for even greater convenience. The 15 in. cutting swath, bump-head line advancement and professional-grade 0.095 in. cutting line make quick word of yard clean ups."

Rapid reload head to quickly and easily load cutting line

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Electric-Cordless-String-Trimmer-with-Rapid...
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,452 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,912 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This wasn't at all what I thought it was at first glance (as you know if you saw my original post that I deleted because it was completely wrong!). I had to dig into the manual to figure out what is different about loading string:

Looks easier than winding around the spool, but not significantly so. Maybe I'd have to use it to understand if this actually makes it much faster or easier to load string.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,394 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Looks neat, but I can't see rushing out to upgrade since I load my trimmer about once a year.

Still nice to see some innovative features being added to the tools as we go. Keeping ahead of the curve! :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,726 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It only takes a minute to load the line,  I love that this is now part of the tool, but not a reason to upgrade.  Agree!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

This is very cool and something I didn't know was even in development.  Love the refinement we are seeing on their tools.  They are really putting out some top notch stuff.  My favorite tools are the blower and the weed eater.  They are second to none in my books.  
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,368 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Its the same head that the european honda branded trimmers use. I think if i remember correctly.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If that's the case, it would seem the partnership is benefiting both companies' tools.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,554 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
See if this extends to the mower. :)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,576 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Whole-heartedly agree with SCDC that the blower and trimmer are my fav Ego tools (out of the 5 that I own).   Blower at "#1", and trimmer a very, very close second.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Hopefully we can buy this to add to our trimmers. I dont see why it wouldn't fit. That would be annoying if we cant
Photo of Tom_Stolze

Tom_Stolze

• 326 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree Jacob, although the current spool isn't too bad, I have had a few moments when the line slips from my grip and it suddenly unwinds as I am about to finish up.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Dont get me wrong. I love the current bump head. I just like to accessorize
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Tom, that's SUPER frustrating when that happens! :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

This got me thinking.  If they are sharing some engineering with Honda, EGO may yet get the self propel rights from the Honda push mower.  It is the absolute best.

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,412 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
They licensed, or bought the head from Speed-Feed, not Honda.

http://www.speedfeedhead.com/
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,338 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Wished that Ego had used the same type of plastic as Honda (trade name: Xenoy) for the Ego mower's decks!   That stuff is durable and stiff.  The Ego mower flexes far too much.
(Edited)

(a)Typical Engineer

There are speed feed upgrade heads with universal adapter kits right now, but the beauty of this is  that at some point, Ego should offer the replacement head, like they do for the current 15" non-speed feed head, at which point it should be a simple installation that will not void the warranty.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We'll have more information on this new rapid reload head in the coming weeks with a video too!

(a)Typical Engineer

Hopefully the fourth coming info will be the availability of a retro-fit kit, and when it will be available... =)
Photo of eric_t

eric_t

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I called support and they told me that no retro-fitting would be possible for the old trimmers- due to different torque requirements.

(a)Typical Engineer

I am glad to report that the replacement head (AH1500) will work on the older ST1500 and ST1500-S; but don't take my word for it, it says it right there in the included instruction sheet!  I posted a how-to on adding an Echo Rapid Reload Head to the older 15" trimmer, and I will make a new thread with the additional details.  But in the mean time, the 2nd picture attached is the new head on the ST1500. =)

PS - the steel rod in the second picture is verifying the alignment, which is good to go!

(Edited)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,476 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for sharing!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,666 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That's great news for those who have been looking forward to the rapid reload head. Was it an easy switch?

(a)Typical Engineer

Yes, unbolt the old one, bolt on the new one.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,528 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Awesome!!!  Thanks for being the guinea pig! :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Yeah, I purchased it off of Amazon, saw your review there too
Photo of Michael Cook

Michael Cook

• 1,018 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
That's a bummer if the head doesn't fit the current 15" trimmer, although it should, it's listed as a choice in the model selection. I want to get a different spool, a guy gave me some Oregon steel line for edging, but have be careful with it, it will tear up stucco on a house and I imagine it will destroy a vinyl fence.
Photo of Michael Cook

Michael Cook

That's a bummer if the head doesn't fit the current 15" trimmer, although it should, it's listed as a choice in the model selection. I want to get a different spool, a guy gave me some Oregon steel line for edging, but have be careful with it, it will tear up stucco on a house and I imagine it will destroy a vinyl fence.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That right there might be a good excuse to own TWO trimmers! :-)
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,554 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
For some reason steel line in a trimmer makes me think of Jason terrorizing the neighborhood in broad daylight. :)
The trimmer might need a LED headlight so they can do a remake of the movie series.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

"Jason's Ego", in theatres this July. :-)
Photo of Michael Cook

Michael Cook

That's why the mower has headlights!!!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

This head fits the existing 15" trimmer perfectly, an easy install.  Thanks AE for being our guinea pig!  I installed mine today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N39N2JN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheap upgrade.  Easy to use. 
(Edited)
Photo of eric_t

eric_t

Can you please post more details on how to install.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Eric this exploded view should help you out, it's from the trimmer manual:

Photo of eric_t

eric_t

Did you need power tools to take off old head? I remember when I was trying to change out the head before, I could not take it off, and support told me you need special tools to remove it.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

No, I removed the original with a 13mm socket by holding the turning the base and holding the nut still.  No other tools.  Installing the new one, the nut is a bit deep for a standard socked so a wrench worked just fine.  It was EASY. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Eric, I've never had my trimmer apart, but it would appear based on the exploded view that the Spool Retainer Assembly comes off by pinching the tabs and pulling, and then the Spool Base would come off by removing the Nut.

The Nut looks like it may need a deep socket.

In the past when I've had trouble removing a fastener from something that spins, I've found more often than not an impact driver will get it off.  It sometimes takes several shots of the trigger depending how much of a hold I can get on the object, but as long as I can give enough resistance to get the hammering action going it usually works.

(I have a sneaking suspicion that ATE might have done this as well since there appears to be a cordless power tool of some sort just at the edge of one of his pictures above.)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

NVM, just follow SCDC's instructions!  Lol
Photo of eric_t

eric_t

I looked at existing strummer again. Once I take the spring off, I cannot loosen the nut that holds the old head.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosey? :-D
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

You just hold base with your left hand and loosen with the socket, turning counter-clockwise.  It is ok to apply some force till it breaks free.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Give her hell. It's a lock nut. No special tools needed.

(a)Typical Engineer

I can confirm that the 15" trimmer head is a RH (right hand) threaded nut.  So as stated above, lefty-loosy, right-tighty.  I also use my Milwaukee M12/M18 impact to remove it (at the lowest setting), but you can definitely remove it by holding the black base with your hand, and then using a wrench to loosen the nut.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I knew it! :-D
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,576 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I feel like the edge trimmer is a bit "magical".  My Ryobi (POS) trimmer required me to bump the line frequently, and replace the line just about every other time I used it.  The Ego trimmer, OTOH has been used for a YEAR and I've yet to replace the line.  I hope when I do, using the "spiral?" type of line I bought at HD last year, will give good service as well.  If it doesn't, I hope I can find  the same type of line that Ego installed on the trimmer at the factory.
(Edited)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

I am in the same boat as you Dave, I LOVE my 15" trimmer. I have used mine for a year now and still going on strong with the original spool head. I bought my replacement string but have no need for it yet. This thing is everlasting like you said ... the first and best purchase EGO tool thus far !!!!!!!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yes, the .095" line is a BIG step up from the .080" line I was used to before the 15" Ego came into my life.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I have no idea what they could do to make a better tool. Set the bar high. Well making it reversible would have been nice.

(a)Typical Engineer

Do you guys have it up on the mantle on display?!  On a serious note, if you like your 15" trimmer, then you will absolutely love it with the new bump feed head.  It will be the best $30 you ever spent.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Doesn't everyone's living room look like this?

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,454 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I failed to mention that I had also used .095 line on the Ryobi for several years (I drilled the head to accommodate that size.  it came with smaller size line).  But using the .095 didn't stop that Ryobi from eating line frequently.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

So what do you think is the difference .Dave? Why isn't the ego eating line like your ryobi did? I'm curious to what you think. I agree with you guys. I never have to replace my line. 1x in 2 years. Perhaps a shorter amount is put out per bump?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

And here I go through .096 line like it was made to paper. I throttle a lot to try and save the line, but all of my trimming is either against brick or concrete.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Interesting Dave. Are you using the same line with the Ego as you did in the Ryobi?

I found with the .080" line in my corded Toro trimmer as well as the line in the 12" Ego trimmer, I was bump feeding several times every session, but with the more powerful 15" and .095" line I bump feed it maybe once each session. That's true for the heavier hexagonal line I'm using now as well as the twisted line that came with the trimmer.

I went almost a whole season with the line that came with the 15" trimmer before needing to rewind the spool.
(Edited)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

I am curious as well about the Ryobi eating through the line.  That said; I might be a "weird" one but since my original spool head is working fine, I will probably not buy the new "bump head" anytime soon.  If it ain't broken, why mess with it?
(Edited)

Official Response
Everyone, although the rapid reload head might physically fit on the older models, we strongly advise against it due to performance issues. Among many other issues that may arise, since the rapid reload head is taller, the line will not hit the cut off blade in the right spot and will cause issues when advancing the line. We LOVE your ingenuity, but be careful out there, guys! We DO NOT recommend using the rapid reload head on models ST1500 and ST1500-S.  There was a typo on that manual which we are rectifying immediately. Thank you for bringing that to our attention.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,622 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

You know us though.  Not a whole lot stops us from trying things.  Your words of wisdom and cautions are well noted! 

Thanks Jennifer.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Father: "Be careful around that fire. It's hot and you don't want to get burned."

Son: "Ouch!"

Sounds all too familiar. :-)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
My takeaway from Jen's post:

"...the rapid reload head might physically fit on the older models..."

Challenge accepted!

(a)Typical Engineer

Two words: "spacer block".  However, I verified the alignment in the picture above (in this thread) with the new head and the original line cutter, and the alignment is satisfactory for my purposes.  I'm planning on doing a detailed review at some point, and I'll be sure to cover the alignment in detail.  Also, I did not post a video, but there is much less vibration compared to the Echo 400 Speed Feed Head modification I did earlier (which required the spacer block):

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/echo-speed-feed-400-head-on-15-trimmer
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Just received and really like this trimmer. My beef is that is states that it has a 15" trimming length...thinking 7.5" on each side. Not the case, it measures 5.25" each side to the line cutter for a total of 10.5" cutting length. How is this considered 15"?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 90,700 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
the center is about 5" thus 15" total.  It cuts left right front back so it is cutting a 15" path as it goes.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Ahhh ok, makes sense now. Thanks!

I take it there is no way to rotate the shield? I use my trimmer for about 50% flat cutting and another 50% as an edger along driveway and gardens. Using it as an edger you get a bit of debris flying up. If I could just rotate the shield a little it would be perfect...otherwise I may be shopping for a face shield.
(Edited)

The Rapid Reload head is now available for sale on homedepot.com:  https://egopowerplus.com/products/15-in-rapid-reload-replacement-string-trimmer-head

Note: this is compatible with models ST1500F and ST1500SF only.
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Morris

Andy Morris

• 624 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Just installed this on my 1500s string trimmer.  It's fantastic and no vibration like the universal speed feed head.  Plus the design puts the string at the correct spot for cutting the line with the cutter on the string guard.  WELL DONE EGO!! I knew it would only be a matter of time before you all did this.  The rapid reload " speed feed " head is a fantastic add on to any string trimmer.  Makes reloading soooo much easier.  The bump feed also seem easier instead of the small area, the whole head is the bump!

Andy
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 13,378 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

I have an ST1500S, so this will work Andy?  No modifications necessary?

I struggled tonight with the regular head and would love something easier.

I guess I could buy it at homedepot and return it if it doesn't work.....