New Protoolreview.com review of cordless lawn mowers

• Article
  • Updated 4 years ago
http://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/outdoor-equipment/lithium-ion-powered-lawn-mower-round-up/13560/

I have been following the Ego for awhile now and need to pull the trigger on a lawn mower as my grass is getting long.  Based on this review I am now leaning towards the Kobalt 80V.

-Matt
Photo of Mattman

Mattman

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jason

Jason

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It seems a lot of new competition this year.  Last year GO definitely had the advantage, but wow has the landscape changed.  This is becoming very difficult for me also.  I like the Kobalt Brand, and Lowes will always carry them and promote them.  Home Depot sort of threw EGO under the bus with the ECHO and Ryobi stuff (which I don't really like), it worries me. 
Photo of Jason

Jason

Good review, but the EGO came out on top by a hair, only because of the battery.  Most use two batteries.  That's a deal breaker for me.  I also want to know how expensive the 7.5ah battery will be.  The 3 year warranty on a new battery design has me worried a bit too.
Photo of Mattman

Mattman

I just went to Lowes and purchased the Kobalt 80V.   I plan on mowing my front lawn in a little bit.  I will let you know how I make out.

-Matt
Photo of Jason

Jason

10-4. Look forward to your experience.
Photo of Mattman

Mattman

Just mowed my lawn with it. 

Background:  I live in a small colonial in the Philadelphia suburbs.  Are yards are small and the area has alot of sunlight (couple of big trees per property).   We had a service come out and mow the lawn once a week (whether it was needed or not) for $25.   The last time I mowed was 4 years ago and I hated it because gas mowers are a pain with the gas and oil thing.   Fast forward to last year when I see the Ego.  Based on what I read there was finally a legit battery operated mower.  I have been following it ever since with the hope of buying it this spring.   I started up my search again and noticed the Echo was being released soon by Home Depot.   I found an article on ProToolsReview about battery operated mowers and in the comments they said they were going to review all current options including the Echo by the end of April.  True to their word they published the article today.   After reading the article I liked the fact the the Greenworx/Kobalt rated well.  I also like the idea of 2 x 2A batteries being included with the mower and that they were each rated for approx the same amount of minutes as the Ego 4a.   That plus the fact that I could go get it at Lowes this morning for $499.   My lawn couldn't wait anymore so I pulled the trigger.

1st Experience:
Unit unboxed easliy and I had it up and running in 15 minutes.   My lawn was sporadically high (patchy) and its been dry this week.  I decided to go with the bag option.   As advertised the mower speeds up its mower when it detects tall grass and the slows down when not needed.   I normally would wear ear protection when mowing.  With the Kobalt I didn't need it.  It wasn't silent,  but it also wasn't loud.  As for bagging, I was shocked,  it just flat out worked as good a gas mower (see pics below).   As for battery life,  my first battery ran out about 3/4 of they through my mowing (maybe 1/2 hour?,  I don't know I didn't time it).
Based on my first mow today I am excited for my Kobalt and for the cordless mowing industry.
Photo of Jason

Jason

WOW, that is some thick grass.  The fact that it automatically speeds up instead of gives a red light and dies on thick grass is pretty remarkable.   Thank you very much.

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We’re glad you are happy with the mower you chose, Matt, and understand that you want to share your experience.  We suggest that you post the review and photos as a comment on the review that started this thread: http://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/outdoor-equipment/lithium-ion-powered-lawn-mower-round-up/13560/ or on the manufacturer’s web site. We will continue to keep this EGO Community site more EGO focused.
Photo of Nick

Nick

• 70 Points

That Kobalt 80volt Mower looks AWESOME! I am going to go get one RIGHT now.

Do they have any other tools that use the same battery?

Photo of Bill

Bill

• 62 Points
It looks like they have 4 tools total. A string trimmer, blower, chainsaw and mower that all use the same battery. This is perfect as I need a new mower and blower. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.