New Kind Of Warranty

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not Planned
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

Instead of a warranty based on time how about one based on usage? Built in usage meters on the tools and battery. Since most of us only use the lawn stuff on a seasonal basis only. I bet a company that did that could not keep up with the sales. Plus the equipment would have to be well built and quality control before it leaves the factory. No more doa stuff. Sign me up for this one.
Photo of William Roy Hupert

William Roy Hupert

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I think a warranty like that would still need a time factor to work for the company, similar to what car companies do: 3 years or 36,000 miles, whatever comes first.

Right now the warranties are more like unlimited meage warranties: drive as much as you want during that time, but when time's up, time's up.

One advantage a warranty like that would offer is not having to distinguish between residential and commercial use. The commercial users would get the exact same warranty but would run through it much quicker.

The other reason for a time component would be batteries. Even a gently used battery will not last forever as cells naturally lose capacity over time. Though to give your idea the benefit of the doubt, the time factor is much greater than five years... I think cell age itself would only be responsible for a few % over a five year period if they are well kept, and Ego seems to be the best in the business as far as looking after and protecting the cells.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Forgot to add, a lot of industrial equipment is warranted by hours of use, with hour meters built into their control panels. Something like that could be implemented easy enough, but the issue then becomes; how does the company verify the hour count?

Maybe by satellite uplink, like Tesla does with their cars? That would open up a world of possibilities like remote firmware updates and troubleshooting, but would bring with it a price tag not suiting most people's yard tool budget. :-)
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.