New Hedge Trimmer Coming?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: EU

So I was looking around on the interwebs for stuff and came across some interesting images of a new looking Ego hedge trimmer:

And a closeup of the business end:

So what sayest thou, oh Ego staff? Have I seen the future? :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
  • hopeful

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Blue, I don't think that's actually the business end....lol
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Good point, but you gotta admit it's the interesting end! :-)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Blue, you have found one of the hedge trimmers that will soon be available in Europe.  For the time being, there are no new hedge trimmers planned for the North American market in 2016. Sorry to disappoint. :(
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I figured as much. My hedge trimmer is working great so no need of an upgrade in that department.

That new one looks cool though!
Photo of Chris Deiter

Chris Deiter

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Why does Europe get a different hedge trimmer than the U.S.?
Photo of Rob

Rob

Apparently they have different kinds of bushes than what we have.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Maybe because Europeans........ umm..... Possibly because............   I have no bloody idea!  lol
Photo of Rob

Rob

Lol....Must be something very....Euro...about their hedges.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Because the USA has Donald Trump. :)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Trump's cuts through the crap, and Hillary's creates the illusion of cutting because it's broke.   :)
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I was referring to the locker room talk. :) ROFL

We are constantly looking at product needs and demands.  While Europe gets a couple things that we don't have in North America (yet), we also get tools that they don't have.  We launched a year before them with a much larger array of tools. We promise to keep you posted on anything new for North America as soon as we can.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Well Jennifer, we are Americans and we can be a bit demanding. ;)
Photo of Rob

Rob

USA...USA...USA!..................lol
Photo of Mikeg

Mikeg

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You can see them on the UK websites and I even paid for one on 10th August 2016, but they still have not turned up at my supplier, said something about a lost container from China!!
Photo of Dfab

Dfab

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Any clue on when we could expect to see an updated hedge trimmer? Could not help but notice the updated Blower and Sting Trimmer with Brushless motors and 2.5Ah batteries. Would love the trifecta. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Dfab, have you tried the current hedge trimmer?  Other than flashy cosmetics I can't really imagine anyone wanting more cutting performance...  it works really well.
Photo of Dfab

Dfab

I have, I am just really sold on everything I have read about brushless motors. Not sure if it is necessary but if it is coming soon I will make do with my current trimmer. 

No new hedge trimmer is planned for 2016 in North America, Dfab. :(
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Dfab, FYI, the new 21" mowers are high torque brushed motors. And they just happened to win the number one spot in Consumer Reports mower test for 2016. Not only did they win, but they won by a landslide... the nearest competitor was WAY behind, and the original 20" Ego mower still placed a very respectable 3rd place. Yep, it has a brushed motor as well.

Oh, and did I mention that the 21" Ego mowers actually rated higher than all but the very best GAS mowers? :-)

Brushless motors are great, but there are obviously applications where their advantages don't amount to much.

Regarding the Ego hedge trimmer, I put mine to the test last spring when I needed to cut down a tree that fell victim to some sort of willow borer. I can say with confidence the 3/4" cut capacity is real.
Photo of gregmpool

gregmpool

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I too was hoping a new hedge trimmer would coming out in 2016.  Mainly was hoping a new version might be 1-2 pounds lighter than the current model.  The weight is the only thing that has made me hold off.  Got the blower for Christmas (which I love) and a new lighter more powerful Ego blower came out a week later so I thought a new hedge trimmer might be about to come out as well.  Probably will go ahead and get the current version if a new model won't be out until at least 2017.  And after literally hacking 20+ hedges with my old corded Black & Decker hedge trimmer last weekend it's definitely time for a new one.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hi Greg,
I also have a black and decker battery hedge trimmer that I've had for about four years. It has been excellent, and a workhorse. I don't really care for black and decker, but they did a really good job with it.

That being said, I am going to go with ego when this thing dies. It is a bit more robust and would serve me well. Also, one less battery ecosystem to mess with. Love the EGO batteries!
Photo of BeeMan458

BeeMan458

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If you can, replace the unit.  Why wait when you can upgrade?
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

• 1,874 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
So any updates on this for NA ? Why does the EU version look so much cooler than the drab NA one ?
Photo of BeeMan458

BeeMan458

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm not sure on the cool factor but the 2.5Amp kit we purchased, looks fine.
Photo of zeusmos

zeusmos

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
still no update on the new model HT6500E Hedge Trimmer 65cm for NA?
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Jennifer indicated there were no plans to release this model in North America. No need for updates. :-)
Photo of zeusmos

zeusmos

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, she indicated no plans for 2016. So what about 2017 any plans to release this year?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ah, gotcha.

Even if they were planning to release a new model this year they wouldn't be able to tell is until the release had been approved and confirmed. Jennifer can correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but I'm sure the answer will be along the lines of "no plans at the current time."

Blue is correct. We have no plans for this hedge trimmer right now. We will continue to keep you posted on new tools as they become available in the North American market.
Photo of Robert Pruett

Robert Pruett

Is the 2402 the new one
Photo of Dfab

Dfab

Same hedge trimmer with an updated 2.5ah battery. 
Photo of Robert Pruett

Robert Pruett

Thanks
Photo of Robert Pruett

Robert Pruett

Why do they show different shaft lengths?
Photo of Robert Pruett

Robert Pruett

Customer service dropped my call 2 times

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.