NEW EGO tools for 2016!

• Announcement
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Out of date

We're pleased to announce the newest lineup of EGO tools for 2016.  Many of you already found them on Homedepot.com but we wanted to officially welcome these new tools to our family!

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
  • Excited

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Awesome, Jennifer! I'm excited to see the aggressive pricing as well!

The self propelled 7.5Ah mower kit seems like a great move! Is it the first cordless mower to offer self propulsion?

That new blower looks incredible... and I like how Ego says straight out that it's the most powerful cordless in the industry!
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

No, I believe that Black and Decker did self-propulsion on a cordless mower a couple years back. 

http://www.blackanddecker.com/en-us/products/lawn-and-garden/lawn/lawn-mowers/36v-19-in-selfpropelle...

Good offerings though.

(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,900 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Correct. They did with their 36v 300lb (lol) battery mower.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Nope, only 90lbs.  I noticed that Barnaby also stated that this mower was the first electric self-propelled mower in the tools in action review.  I believe this mower fully decked out pushes about 75lbs. 
(Edited)
When can we expect a edger

No edger yet.  We promise to keep you posted if we make one.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Sorry Tang,

They have to get the snowblower out first and then maybe another blower and perhaps another string trimmer. Then and only then will they think about a whole new product like an edger.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,900 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Gota make the tools that will make the most money. I understand their logic. I have always had a mower, blower, trimmer, chainsaw. Never have I bought a edger.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I understand why you're saying what you're saying but think for a moment...

Did you not see the thread where it was discovered that Ego had several....and I do mean...several items available overseas that we had not even heard about?

Many of which we here in the US and Canada would have loved to get our hands on? A company that wants to make as much money as possible does not hold back product.

Well, you might say that some things that sell there may not sell other places.....lawns are all the same. One item in particular was rather obvious....the high lift blade. Ego wouldn't be able to keep those in stock for a while...assuming they have done good on mower sales.

A bladed edger wouldn't sell well? I am guessing you live nowhere near the South. An edger is used every week during mowing season. How often do you use that chainsaw?
(Edited)
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Virtually all professional landscape services use their string trimmers to edge these days. It's quicker, and a skilled tech can get an edge that's just as nice as a bladed edger.

Heck, most of the homeowners in my area use their string trimmer as well!

I'm not saying there isn't a market for a bladed edger (getting that nice 15 degree beveled edge with a string trimmer is almost impossible for all but the most skilled techs), but when considering their return on investment... I can see why EGO hasn't done one yet.

That snow thrower, on the other hand... ;)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Hi DJ,  Once again this is a regional thing.  Southern lawns are MUCH different that grasses grown in the north.  You can't edge Centipede, Bermuda, Zoysia, or other grass that vines.  The talons are simply too thick and just slap around. 

This is how Centipede grows.  Not high so much as wide. I fight this stuff all summer long, it is relentless. 

Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Thanks SCDC - this solidifies my argument.  Now EGO has a requested product that won't even be utilized in all markets, as it's a regional thing.  See their conundrum?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Yeah, but it's no different than the Snow Blower. 

But I'm not worried about you Yanks.  EGO will listen to us Southerners..

(Edited)
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

If we're splitting hairs and talking US-only, there's far more of the country that is exposed to some need of snow removal during the winter season than needs a bladed edger.  Even the Carolinas get snow in the winter.  ;)  
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Far more people in any snow belt state will have use for a bladed edger than will ever buy a snow blower down south. They may not sell a lot of bladed edgers up north, but it will be a cold day in hell before a snow blower is ever sold in South Carolina.

Here in GA it is impossible to find much more basic things like a snow shovel, sled, or rock salt the rare times we do get a dusting.

Not a doubt in my mind a bladed edger will sell more units than any snow blower. But even so it probably can't produce half the revenue or profit of a more expensive snow blower.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Completely disagree.  Perhaps in GA you may not use them, but having lived in South Carolina for 4 years (Cleveland) and having owned a snow thrower, and having neighbors that also owned one, I still feel a snow thrower would be a much more popular product than bladed edger.

Look, I realize you guys are still sore that you lost the war.  Don't be sore about not getting a bladed edger, too!  ;)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Well not owning a bladed edger in the south is just plain stupid. Good way to add a monthly fine from the HOA to your living expenses.

Now owning a snowblower in the Carolinas, that's just plain lazy. Which I do approve of, as long as we call it what it is.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I live in upstate SC, north of Greenville.  We get the most snow in the state outside of the mountains.  We average about 2 snows a year, that usually melt the same or next day.  Otherwise we deal with some sleet and ice. 

I don't even know how to reply to someone who wants a snow blower for that  ;-)

And, very well said David.  It's stupid to not own a bladed edger down here.  I feel confident EGO will put one out.  They seem to be widening their product mix.

Photo of Rob

Rob

DJ,

I live in NC and we do get snow but usually not more than 6 inches at a time. We don't need snowblowers at all.

I still say that a bladed edger will sell many more units than snowblowers...to the point that it will overcome the price differential. More edges will be sold and on top of that, a whole lot of replacement blades.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

True,  Even the generic blades are over 10 bucks a pop.  I use to go through about 3 a year when I had my edger.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Rob: I'm in the urban sprawl suburbs of metro Detroit these days, and we rarely get 6 inches at a time (usually 2-5", sometimes every week, sometimes every few weeks).  But at 3"or more, it's almost required to break out a snow thrower if you want to have some semblance of a usable back by the end of the day, not to mention the stress on your ticker!  

How you get 6" and not feel the need for a thrower (or blower) is beyond me.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I'm being serious here. Shovel it! If you are older or have a serious ailment then I fully understand. If you're relatively healthy and between the ages of 15 to 55 or so......break out the shovel. Also, don't forget putting down the icemelt before the storm hits.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

LOL!!  Dude, seriously - even if I was 21 years old I'd still want a snow thrower/blower for 6" of snow.  You suggesting to just shovel it seems... eh... no idea, man.  Might as well not use battery powered mowers and instead just use a push reel...
Photo of Rob

Rob

LoL. I rather enjoy shoveling snow. We only have about 2 snow events per year. Maybe a couple ice events.

I bought an electric snow shovel about 3 years ago and never unboxed it.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

As with most all of South Carolina, there is no use in even shoveling your driveway.  The snow is gone quickly, and they do not plow secondary roads. 

Here, you just put down a little salt if you need to walk to the mail box.  Otherwise, everything is closed anyway.  Even 1" of accumulated snow closes everything here. 

Photo of Rob

Rob

Same here. Problem is that if I get 6 inches of snow, it could stick around for a week. My neighbors across the street get all the sun during winter so their driveways are clear within a day or two.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

If we get 6" of snow in December here, it's usually melting sometime around the following April.  Well, except for this past winter - that El Niño kept things so mild this season it was almost scary!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hi Rob,

I do realize that western NC can get some decent snows, especially North West of Charlotte. 

I love snow, so living down here is sort of a drag.  For me, the colder the better.

Photo of Rob

Rob

I am in central NC. We get pretty descent snow but nothing like the mountains in the west.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Man... I turn my back for a few hours and one of the most entertaining conversations ever takes place. :-)
Photo of DanO

DanO

• 60 Points
Hello Jennifer,I'm new here, I own the leaf blower and the hedge trimmer, love them both, plenty of power. I would love an extended hedge trimmer, maybe 72 inches and also an edger, long handle walk behind with two wheels like the electric ones but cordless.
Photo of Alex

Alex

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Those all look great. Any upgrade plan for early adopters? I'd love to upgrade to the new mower and blower.
Photo of Sam

Sam

• 60 Points
I've really enjoyed my 20" EGO mower this past year, and I think it's great.  That said, I'd also be interested in upgrading to something with the wider cutting path.  I'm just waiting on pins and needles for the EGO Snow Thrower with that 7.5 AH battery.  I've been happy so far with the Greenworks 80V snow thrower, but their quality doesn't match EGO's quality.  Thanks for putting out great cordless products and helping us leave gas behind.   
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,892 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm interested in seeing the cutting performance with the slightly slower rotational speed of the blade.  I'm curious if the blade will stay sharper because of this.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,540 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The blade speed is slower because regulations of tip speed in feet per second. The blade is longer so rpm must be reduced.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Won't the cut be affected?  Couldn't it make the mulching less effective with the slower rotation?

I'm no mower expert, but don't commercial mower blades rotate faster than those made for residential use.  Don't those mowers in turn generally do a better job of mulching because of that?

(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Tools In Action uploaded a video showing off the new mowers and blower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYlYQM7in98

And for those of you who may have missed it, here's the intro video for the new 16" chainsaw at GIE+EXPO 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wZZyRVvgkg

Note: the price Barnaby quoted for the 5.0Ah 16" chainsaw kit was $399, but it's actually $299 at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-16-in-56-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Chain-Saw-CS1604/206587968

And just for the heck of it, here's the Self-Propelled 7.5Ah Mower kit for $599:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Cordless-Self-Propelled-Lawn-Mower-LM2102SP...

The 5.0Ah Push Mower kit for $499:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Cordless-Lawn-Mower-LM2101/206515766

The bare Self-Propelled Mower for $429:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-56-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Self-Propelled-Lawn-Mower-Battery-...

The bare Push Mower for $379:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-56-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Lawn-Mower-Battery-and-Charger-Not...

And last but definitely not least, the 2.5Ah 530 CFM Blower Kit for $199:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-110-mph-530-CFM-Variable-Speed-Turbo-56-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Ele...

Also note, there's a new 2.5Ah 15" Brushless String Trimmer kit available for $199 (a smoking deal!):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-56-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-String-Trimmer-ST1502-S/...

I think 2016 is gonna be a good year for Ego!  :-)
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The 15" 2.5Ah trimmer kit is now In Stock:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-56...
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
So you already have TIA... I should have known :D And so far you were right, 2016 is being a good year for EGO so it appears. I'm a happy man.
(Edited)
Photo of Steven

Steven

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The new tools look great, but what about the snow blower that's supposed to be coming out in 2016? Will we see it before winter is over?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

New products seem to be released about 2 months before the beginning of their season, so I expect the snowblower will show up around September.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If I remember right, Jennifer said to expect it for Fall 2016.

I don't think Ego intended to release any information on their snowblower until much closer to the availability date, but there was so much demand for information on this site they decided to ease some of the tension a little early.

A good move, I think, as it will likely keep many from buying a competitor's product this year, holding off until the new (and surely superior!) Ego offering is available.

I can't wait! We had about 25cm (10") last week, sure could have used it then!!! I've gotta be positive, though... with weather like we've had so far in the North East, I can't imagine a better year to be stuck without a snow blower. :-)

Ugh... I hope I didn't just jinx myself!
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Just saw this post by Ego on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/egopowerplus...

Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 1,910 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
BOOM!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I can't get the link to work... Facebook says it's a dead link. Is it an actual video?

Man I can't wait for that snowblower... but I seriously hope it doesn't start snowing in August!?!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I get this error from that link:

Maybe it's a mobile phone thing?
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

try chrome
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Perhaps try it after logging in? The video appears to be hosted by Facebook, so I don't know of a way to link directly to the embedded video or repost it here.

It's just 15 seconds of a guy yanking the cord on his snow blower before finally giving up and kicking it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Chrome didn't work, on my phone anyway, and I'm not on Facebook... I'll just have to get by on imagination after reading David's post. :-)

Hi everyone, here's a link to the video. https://www.facebook.com/egopowerplus/videos/969858743103591/

We did a quick edit to the original video (made the text overlay a bit smaller) so that's why the original link isn't valid.  Enjoy!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I must not qualify to view it since I don't have a Facebook account... I get the same message with the new link.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Unfortunately this is one I won't be able to view.  I also won't sign up with Facebook.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Hey Jen, my "newly turned 40" brain just produced something resembling an idea. I know!

What if Ego was to publish all video content on their YouTube channel? That way all the dinosaurs who don't subscribe to Facebook (and who shall remain nameless) can simply subscribe to the Ego channel on YouTube and be privy to all these nifty updates?

It would also get the videos more widely viewed, especially if they are tagged well.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I meant to say, YouTube in addition to Facebook. :-)
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

+1 for Youtube!

-1 for Facebook

Ah, good call.  I forgot that if you don't have Facebook, you probably can't see the video.  Here's a link on YouTube to see it: https://youtu.be/VmYmYQDlhTg

Our YouTube channel is found here as well: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-J2ywb-mrnnB0ordKWk_Vw
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Haha, I like it!
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,194 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
That's great news Jennifer.

I am looking forward to understanding how and if the 21" mower will provide even better performance and reliability than the original 20".

I understand the benefits of the extra cutting width, larger battery capacity and the self propelled option; but I would like clarification if the reduced RPMs from 3300 to 2800 will affect the quality of the cut and mulching ability.

I would also like to know if the strength of the deck housing has been improved as we have been having a regular break down at the height adjustment rod. This has created an uneven deck from front to back and overall lower cutting heights. Please see the attached photo...

Also please let me know when the new products will be available in Langley, BC, Canada.

I look forward to a reply when possible.
Thanks kindly,
Steve
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Hi Jennifer,

One other thing...you indicated above...
  • 21" Self-Propelled Mower (Kit comes with 7.5Ah battery and standard charger)
I think that there is an error with that description...on the website it indicates it comes with a quick charger.

Smiles,
Steve

Oops!  Thanks for noticing my typo.  It does come with the Rapid Charger.
Photo of JAS

JAS

• 1,472 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Jennifer, were can I post photos of my huge yard the way it is now?
Photo of JAS

JAS

Photo of JAS

JAS

Sorry had to post my O2 that I use outside.
Photo of JAS

JAS

Photo of JAS

JAS

Photo of JAS

JAS

Need to cut the trees too, mow and weed wack first in order to get to chicken coop.
Photo of Glen

Glen

• 2,136 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Exciting news for sure. But I have to admit I have a bit of mower and blower envy now...if only for the new styling, LOL.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

You're not alone, Glen, that's a nice looking mower for sure. And that blower! I almost don't care if it's any better or not! :-)
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

Are the new mowers brushless?

Hi Troy. The 21-inch mowers do not use brushless motors, and here's why: Each EGO product has a motor specifically designed and optimized for that product. Through much research and testing, we’ve determined that our demanding performance specifications for EGO POWER+ lawn mowers are best met by our specifically engineered DC brushed motor. One notable result from our ongoing tool-specific optimization is that that the motors in our 21-inch series have higher wattage than the motors in our 20-inch mowers. Yes, we have developed brushless motors for other EGO POWER+ products. This is because we determined that there was a performance advantage in including brushless motors in those applications.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Thanks Jennifer!
Photo of RobertM

RobertM

• 514 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm honestly feeling like I've been ripped off now. I purchased the lawnmower blower and trimmer not too long ago, heck I've already had to have the lawnmower replaced on warranty. And now this comes out at the same price range I paid...it's kinda making me sick to my stomach.
Photo of Glen

Glen

I know how you feel because I too recently bought the mower and blower, BUT, at the same time, my 1st gen tools work great and do everything I need so it's not like the new versions would make my life that much better. If it really bothers you, you could sell your current models (for a loss obviously) and buy the new versions.
Photo of RobertM

RobertM

not that i don't like the product, the new stuff is more of what i was initially looking for. I settled for the 20in because of the stellar reviews and the blower was because of the matching battery technology. im still in the 90 day return window for HD
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Keep in mind that the electric technology is much newer than gas power, and thus will naturally improve much more quickly as it becomes more widely adopted.

The life cycle for electronic components is also much shorter, as we all know from consumer electronics. Think how often you upgrade your cell phone, most often getting better performance and longer battery life for about the same price.

The great news is that as long as Ego keeps the same universal connector for all tools, batteries, and chargers, anyone can upgrade individual components at will to get the latest and greatest technology.
Photo of RobertM

RobertM

In this incarnation, yes it is newer.

We have had electric lawnmowers since the 60s, heck i think another one of the major companies had an battery powered ride on in the 70s.

The 18650 batteries used in the packs have been around since the 90s, the only reason we are seeing more things become powered by battery is because of the recent advancements in the chemical composition of said batteries allowing for a much more dense energy package.
I think the industry norm for a high drain 18650 battery is 20a continuous and around 2500mah recent batterys are coming closer to 3000mah but cant handle the continuous output.

That being said, with electric motors capable of lasting decades and the battery packs not going to a full 4.2v per cell charge cycle. im going to be stuck with this mower till the warranty runs out/ which is the real reason im kicking myself for compromising on what i initially wanted.

Im a techie at heart, i love tinkering and having the latest and greatest. it just felt like an insult that the new products would come out at near the same price points without a reduction in the older generations price during the last 1/4 of the product cycle. 

i knew it was going to happen just not in 58 days if my purchase
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,480 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you bought your mower at Home Depot, remember they have a 90-day, no-questions-asked return policy.
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

"ripped off"?  did you feel that way when you drove your car off the lot too?  or after you walked out of the store after buying a pair of pants?  the newer, better, shinier, faster, neater thing is always right around the corner...

thanks EGO for releasing a new, updated, refreshed product.  i just bought a blower a few months ago (already owned the mower and trimmer) but do not feel ripped off at all.

PS: i'll take a snowblower now too :)
Photo of RobertM

RobertM

Troy, I research everything before I make a purchase, especially if it's something that's expensive. Ego did a great job of keeping the new design of the mower under wraps, because I would have waited for the newer one
The reason I use the words Ripped off is that with pretty much every power tool, electronic or car or anything for that matter will have either a price cut or an incentive before the announcement or release of a newer version. I've still got a great product so maybe it wasn't the right choice of wording but it does explain the feeling of being taken advantage of financially.

I'm going to use Apple as an example, you purchase product X1 a month later they announce product X2. They will credit the difference of the new price point

For the record I'm still very pleased with the product and especially the customer service. And I appreciate that they're continuing their innovation.
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

where did you buy and when?
Photo of RobertM

RobertM

I'm still well within my 90day return policy at HD....sadly I threw away the box the day before the announcement was made
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Robert, for what it's worth, the 20" 4Ah mower kit was discounted to $449 across most of the US late in the summer. I'm not sure why the price has gone back up to $499 now for the same kit, but the $449 price may have been the end of model discount you're referring to.

Either way, I believe that Home Depot would be to blame for any change in retail pricing.

I'm not sure where you live or how long you have had the mower, but the new model probably won't be available until spring. I would fully expect a discounted price on the 20" 4Ah kit once the 21" 5Ah kit hits the shelves at $499.

Regarding Apple, it's my understanding that the discounts available on their phones are only through carriers, and only when signing up for a service contract. If you are purchasing the phone outright with no contract the price is the same the first day it's available to the last day before the release of the newer model.

Only once the new model is available does the previous model get discounted for outright purchase.
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

i doubt you need the box to do a return/exchange?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

You could ask, but I doubt they would do anything but store credit without a box, and even that probably only if there were something wrong with it.

If you keep the receipt though then you may be able to get a price adjustment if the old model is marked down further before 90 days.
Photo of Glen

Glen

I wasn't planning to return my Ego tools but after thinking about what RobertM said I realized I felt the same way. Part of it is the fact that I like the second generation tools specs (battery and performance) better, especially at the new price point and another part is simply the aesthetics. So, literally at the last minute (the 90th day since purchase) I took my mower and blower back to Home Depot and returned them. I can confirm that even without boxes, they took everything back with no issues. I did explain that I was disappointed that new models were released so soon after my purchase but really, they didn't need any explanation.

The downside is that I currently don't have any Ego tools. They didn't have the new blower in stock yet but I can wait until they get one in. The mower is slightly more problematic. I bought the Ego mower to replace my broken gas mower so now I'm in the process of fixing the broken height adjuster but that's another story.

Anyway, understand that I do feel a little guilty for returning a perfectly good mower and blower but like the other poster, had I known new models were coming out so soon, I would have waited to purchase. In the end, I plan to use Ego products for a long time so my conscience is reasonably clear. Now, when is that Ego shop vac coming out? :-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Glen, you can always order the new tools from the links above and have them shipped to your home or the store of your choice for free. Current delivery estimate is Jan. 25.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Glen, you can always order the new tools from the links above and have them shipped to your home or the store of your choice for free. Current delivery estimate is Jan. 25.
Photo of Glen

Glen

Funny you should mention that. I had really wanted to see the tools in person but after visiting a couple of different Home Depots with no luck, I did finally order them yesterday. My expected delivery is 1/19.
Photo of Glen

Glen

According to UPS, my new mower and blower are on the truck to be delivered today!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Glen, you'll have to do an "unboxing" video! C'mon, all the kids are doing that these days! :-)

On a more serious note, I hope you've let your lawn go wild for a few weeks so you can give us some good feedback about how the new mower does vs. the older model.

Darn it! When I say older model I'm referring to my own... I hate that! Just keep telling myself, it's just a lawnmower, it's just a lawnmower...
Photo of Glen

Glen

I can definitely post some pictures and a review, we'll see about a video. re: my lawn, it was cold and rainy last week. Grass is only marginally wild so probably not a significant test for the mower.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Robert, I know how it feels when you buy one model and a company comes out with a different model or new. It's happened to me with other companies too. But that should be looked at as progress. In a way it would suck if the company didn't come out with new products... That would be a stagnant company.

But that is how the world works. Buy a car, a new car comes out. Same thing with electronics, and outdoor power equipment.

I have the original 480 CFM blower and I don't really care about the new blower because mine works just fine.

It might alleviate some of your frustrations about the mower. Because several people have said the original 20 inch mower has better mulching capabilities. And it is quite a bit lighter too.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Agreed...but you would love the new blower... Far superior. L am going to be selling the old one and getting another for our biz. Now the old one is a drag to use.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,390 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
LOL agreed!  I got the new 530 CFM blower, and when I tried using my old blower it felt almost painful.  It took me 2 days to sell it on Craig's List.  ;)  
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Any news on a bladed edger?

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Tim, no bladed edger is slated for 2016 but we are working on more tools for 2017.  We have no details on those though.  :(
Photo of Wade C

Wade C

• 60 Points
Damn you guys.  I'm trying to avoid having the ABCs of cordless power tools.  I need a cordless bladed edger and do not want to buy the competition.  HURRRRRY UP
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

I agree, it doesn't look like we will get one for at least a year so I went out and bought a new blade for my Ryobi cordless edger.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,124 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I am in the same boat...Ryobi for now...one day Ego Edger :-)
Photo of Rob

Rob

Someone needs to explain how there's probably going to be a snowblower before something simple like a bladed edger.  Makes no sense. 

I thought the point was to make money.  The attachment of an edger has to be several thousand times greater than that of a snowblower.

(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,802 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I dunno, Rob. Before being involved with this forum I didn't even know what an edger was. My local lowes has one bladed edger model they sell, a Black & Decker corded one, and I had to go looking for it.

I'm sure the story is different down south where edgers are more common and snow blowers are non existent. However, I must say the display of snow blowers in any hardware store up here is pretty impressive, quite often with one or two dozen different models on display to choose from.

While you may be right about a higher demand for an edger, I would bet the profit from a snow blower sale would cover the profit from several edgers. :-)
Photo of Rob

Rob

I totally agree on the profit margin being a lot larger but trust me.  The areas that use edgers are much larger than the areas that would need a snow blower more than once a year. 

Also know that edgers are used most of the year week in and week out.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Maybe I need to spend some time down South studying the edger market. Next year. In January, when edging would be a pleasure compared to shoveling snow. Yep I think that's a good idea!
Photo of Rob

Rob

As Bob Barker would say.......Come onnnnn Down!

I hope you're old enough to get that....lol
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Not that I watched the show much, but yeah I remember Bob. Carey just seems out of place on that show!
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I'm thinking there must be a much bigger market for snow blowers on the East coast than there would be for edgers. Folks need the snow removed but edging is a finishing detail I don't think most care too much about. Heck I wouldn't mind having an Ego snow blower and we don't even hardly ever get snow...but one winter it will be worth it. My two bits.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Maybe I'm just obsessed about the look of my yard. As far as the east coast goes with the snow blowers, I don't know about them really being a mass market item even in the northeast. That being said, I don't live there.

I know they get a few big snow storms a year but many of those pass through my area first. Admittedly many of them intensify when they get further north.

As you go further north, you also tend to have less people who actually own a standalone home so fewer of them own either an edger or a snowblower.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Hey Rob, I just want to clarify...I'm in for an Ego edger too.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Maybe we'll get one...
Someday.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Do you guys know how agonizing this thread is to watch.  I'm seriously considering one from McClane.  It's a little more than I want to spend, but not much.  I consider a walk behind edger a must with warm weather grass.  Our grass will take over a driveway, flowerbed, walkway in just a few months!

Kind of ugly though, isn't it.  Would much rather have one with the name EGO!!!
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Some problems are good to have... my northern grass won't take over a bald spot, let alone a driveway!! :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hey now, we also have lawn pattern baldness over time.  The grass tends to over grow and choke itself out.  Centipede tends to grow to be beautiful and lush, then just die out over time.  Vine type grass has it's own pitfalls.  My Centipede is hating it the past few years, so I've been over-seeding with Bermuda with some success.  

Either way, northern grasses like Fescue simply cannot tolerate the heavy sun/dry weather.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

"Lawn pattern baldness"

Nice!
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

So you feel an edger is needed on a regular basis for your type of spreading grass. He's what we do: We use a Ryobi edger or a manual edger  at the hard surfaces initially to establish a clean edge and we use a manual edger for the garden beds. Then every time we mow the lawn we use our line trimmer horizontally, then vertically to maintain a sharp clean edge. Works like a charm. You just need to perfect the skill of vertical line trimming. The 15" EGO line trimmer will do the trick. I have been using the Core Outdoor Power brand line trimmer for the last 3 years because it is more of a commercial type but I am planning to try the newer 15" Ego trimmer to see if it can do the job.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hello Steve!

I've tried that, but a string trimmer just slaps around the talons of my grass and shreds them.  It isn't really healthy, nor productive.  When I had my gas McClane edger (before the carb rotted out), I kept a perfectly manicured lawn, with very little effort.  Trying to use a string trimmer to edge is a frustrating experience!.  It would work fine on non-vine type weeds and grass though.

The Edger also digs into the ground giving you a beautiful "cut".  With a trimmer, the soil will eventually work it's way on top of the solid surfaces and it is ugly.

Thank for the tips though.  I'm sure when you head north of North Carolina, it works fine!
(Edited)
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

This is the Ryobi cordless bladed edger that I have and it does a pretty good job.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I've looked at that one since I do have the batteries. I'm getting desperate!
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

It has a 9" blade and actually has quite a bit of power.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I second that...I am sure it would be a big improvement over my Ryobi which is the best lithium powered edger out there thus far.
Photo of jeff

jeff

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi...I am in the market for a new mower and have been waiting to see how the new 5.0 ah battery would be rolled out into new product. So, now I know that HD will be selling the new 21" cut mower with the 5.0 ah. The HUGE question I have, is what is the approximate difference in run time between the new 5.0 ah vs the old 4.0 ah battery? The specs I am reading indicate the exact same performance of up to 45 minutes run time on both versions! However, charge time is 40 minutes vs 30 minutes on the older batter. My obvious question is why would I purchase the new 5.0ah version vs the old? Some assumptions here: First of all, I get that the new mower is 21" vs 20"...I do not care about this. Also, I assume that HD will be selling the old version at a discounted rate, so I'm sure there will be a significant price differential...who knows how much, $100 or more I would guess. Bottom line, my hope is that the 5.0ah battery would be the perfect sweet-spot, allowing some more run time, but if it only gets the same run time, I just don't see the point in paying more for it.
Thanks so much for any help in advance!
Jeff
Photo of Glen

Glen

The new mower uses a bit more energy due to it's larger blade so run time is about the same as the 1st gen model. The main reason to spend the extra money is because the larger battery will give you longer run time for all the other tools.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Jeff, the run time performance of the new 21" mower is an unknown as of right now. How it relates to the 20" model is not yet known.

Ego has provided this run time chart in the manual:

I would bet the reason they are breaking it down like this is because performance will vary depending on the load placed on the mower and they would like people to better understand this. The older model claimed 45 minutes of run time, which was true for some light duty applications, but many people found that in heavier mowing it was only lasting 30-35 minutes.

Given that the new battery has 25% more stored energy, the blade diameter is only 5% larger, and Ego has two more years of experience with optimizing their products, I would bet fairly confidently that the run time of the new 5Ah 21" mower kit will exceed the performance of the current 20" 4Ah kit.

If I had to guess, I would bet that Ego is being conservative and taking the "under promise and over deliver" approach.

As far as your situation goes, if you comb through these pages you'll find some great run-time estimates you can use to see how the 20" mower would apply to your needs. If it looks like the 20" mower and 4Ah battery are enough to get the job done, then paying for more capacity might not be necessary. If it sounds like it might be a close call, stepping up to the newer model might be the right move.

Until we get some user feedback and product reviews it will be tough to make a more accurate recommendation.
Photo of jeff

jeff

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
That is a very helpful and well thought out reply, blue angel, and I greatly appreciate it! Yeah, I think I will just wait and see how things shake out before I need to start cutting the grass again... I can make a decision then based on pricing, availability and any new feedback on performance.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Sounds like the right approach. Let us know how it all works out!

Canadian update for everyone: 

Almost everything in kit form will be in stores.  Bare tools will be online only.

The 21” lawnmower (both push and self-propelled) will be available in April of 2016.

The 530CFM blower will be available in February of 2016 along with the 15” String trimmer with a 2.5Ah battery.

It looks like the 16” Chain Saw will be online only at this time but we do not have a firm date of availability yet.

We do not have pricing available for these tools yet but homedepot.ca should be updating their site in the coming weeks with those details.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Great to hear...I look forward to seeing the Canadian pricing as it relates to the dropping loonie to green back.
Photo of Dan Walsh

Dan Walsh

• 70 Points
What is the run time advantage with the new 2.5 Ah battery in the 15 in. string trimmer Model # ST1502-S? Are there any other differences between Model # ST1501-S  and Model # ST1502-S besides the new battery? I'm trying to assess whether the current $40 price difference between the 2 models at Home Depot is worth it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Dan, based on battery capacity I would expect about a 25% advantage in runtime for the new 2.5Ah kit.

Whether or not the price difference makes sense for you will be your call. Most people see about 25 to 30 minutes of steady trimming time with this trimmer using the 2Ah battery, but this varies up and down depending on how hard you are working the tool.

The 15 inch trimmer puts out a ton of power and if you're really working it hard, like cutting through tall overgrown grass or light brush, you will drain a battery pack fairly quick. With light duty trimming the battery will last much, much longer, especially if you get good with the variable speed trigger and only use as much energy as required.

If you have a small to medium sized yard and don't see spending much more than 20 minutes or so trimming at full throttle, you will probably be pretty safe buying the cheaper 2Ah kit. If you think you require more run time than that the 2.5Ah kit is probably your best bet.

Remember also that all Ego batteries and tools are compatible, so if you already have another tool and battery in the Ego lineup you can easily swap batteries out and you can be nearly continuously trimming, using one battery while charging the other. With three batteries and two chargers going, you could trim pretty much as hard as you want non-stop.
Photo of Dan Walsh

Dan Walsh

• 70 Points

Thanks for the reply Blue Angel. Reading between the lines, I gather that the 2.5Ah battery is the only difference between the 2 models. If figured as much but had to ask. If the new model was still at the original $199, I would consider the price differential to be reasonably in line with the added value. At an additional $40, I'm not so sure that the price/value equation balances out.

I have a small yard so the 2Ah battery may well be plenty (especially with the remarkably fast charge time I've read about and seen with the Ego product line. (A head-to-head shoot out between Ego and Echo batteries and chargers that I saw on YouTube was really impressive.)

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Sounds like you're on the right track, Dan!

Yeah, Ego really did a nice job on their battery/charger system. Refreshing to see a company that doesn't take the quick and cheap route to getting something on the market.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Oh, I forgot what might be the most relevant piece of info on the 2Ah battery, that I can offer anyway. It takes me about 20 minutes to cut my lawn with the 20" mower, not including the trimming. Using just a 2Ah battery I can actually cut all of my grass.

I need to qualify that by enforcing that my lawn is not exactly the thickest lushest lawn, not by a long shot... so someone with thicker grass might only get 15 minutes out of the 2Ah battery cutting their lawn... as usual, your mileage may vary.

A long winded way of saying that there's a decent amount of juice even in the smaller 2Ah pack when you're using it in the trimmer.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

You are correct, the 2ah battery is amazingly usable!  But your rather "bald" lawn sort of explains your lack of interest in the edger  :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ouch!!!!

Time to start overseeding! Gotta justify more tools, lol!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Lol... Yeah, that comment was a little below the topsoil. Hahah. Sorry. But, you get snow!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.