New EGO Mower - Bent and Deformed Trailing Shield right out of the Box!!!

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

I just purchased the 21 inch Self Propelled Ego Lawnmower on Saturday with the 7.5A Battery at Home Depot.  Today I  took it out of the box only to discover that the Trailing Shield is bent and deformed!  Its so badly bent I see no way to make it flat.  What can be done to correct this? What a major disappointment! Should I just return it back to Home Depot?  
Photo of Mitigator

Mitigator

• 1,004 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Exchanging at Home Depot will be a lot of work! If you're up to it, that's a user replaceable part and a quick call to Ego Customer Service will have a new one in the mail asap.

Here's the parts view from the manual:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/026...
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Was the package in any way broken or damaged.  If it looks like it was, then I would also register a complaint with the local HD.  I am sure that EGO will look after you, but unless they are also told as to what is happening with their products in shipping, then the problem will continue to happen.

I know it ticks my wife off, but if there is a problem with anything, I let the other side know.  how can I expect things to get better if I don't voice my concerns over the things that I find wrong.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Very true, however, if the mower shield was deformed due to improper packaging I don't think HD would have any control over it. That would be Ego's concern.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The problem can be caused by several things.  If it was manufactured wrong and put in the package regardless, then that is a QA problem that EGO really need to be made aware of.
If the package is so deficient that it offers no product protection, then that also is an EGO issue, but likely not the problem as if it was then there would likely be hundreds of posts about getting bent parts with a mower.
The side that comes down to HD is if they package was broken or damaged as a result of miss-handling at the local HD level.   I have gotten packages from HD online that I am sure were used at a backstop for a crashcart race.  It had more tape holding it together than actual paper.  It is stuff like this that needs to get reported as management will turn a blind eye unless it is stuck under their nose.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yes, if the packaging was damaged that's certainly a HD issue!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,220 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Blue Angel is right that getting a replacement part from Ego and swapping it out yourself would probably be easiest, but my problem with anything that's damaged right out of the box is that I wonder what else might be wrong that isn't obvious. My inclination is to box it back up and exchange it at the store for another unit. If the mower hasn't been used it should be easy enough to box it back up.

The choice comes down to what would be easiest for you.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

My first thought was the same, but given the nature of that part I wondered if it wasn't just the result of a moment's innattention by the worker loading it into the box. Seems plausible, and if that's the case the rest of the mower would be fine.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,016 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Mitigator, that is NOT okay. Please call us so we can help sort this out. 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656)
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,246 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
When I bought my mower I had them unpackage it, and then placed it in the car. They were fine with that..
Photo of Mitigator

Mitigator

Thanks for the replies and the diagram and parts list from Blue Angel.  I was in contact with customer services today after quite a wait. They say they are going to send me a new "Trailing Shield" after I send them a copy of the Sales Receipt.  My only other question is how to install the new Trailing Shield once it arrives?  That is, do the Wheels have to be removed since it looks like there is a Philips screw on both ends and what looks like a long rod holding the Trailing Shield.  If the Rear Wheels have to come off I wondering if its worth it to have to do all that work?   
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Personally, I'd rather spend 20 minutes in the garage working on my new toy with a beer in hand than boxing up the mower and exchanging it at Home Depot. But that's just me. :-)

The wheels come off pretty easy, then one screw for each guard and you're at the screws for the shield:

Photo of Mitigator

Mitigator

Thanks very much for the reply Blue Angel. Great information. So I guess one of the Back Wheels has to come off?  One question - where does that Wave Washer go? That is  - is it on the Axle? And do you know if I remove the Trailing shield Locking Screw on both sides does the Trailing Shield just drop down or is there a Long Rod holding the Trailing Shield that has to be pulled out to do the swap?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Wave washer goes to the INSIDE of the wheel.
Judging from the picture it just drops down
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

It would appear the wave washer goes on the wheel axle before the wheel. If you have the mower upside down so you can remove both wheels at once, the wave washers can probably just stay on the axles, unless they interfere with removing the wheel covers.

As far as the shield goes, the manual simply states to remove the screws and replace the shield. Im sure it will all make sense as you start working through it. Just keep the parts organized as they come off and you should be fine.

Here's a link to the manual if you need it, Pg. 31-32 cover the shield replacement:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/026...
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 1,968 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Alternatively, you can grab the screw with a pair of pliers without taking the wheel off.  It will mar the surface of the screw slightly, but it is only threaded into soft plastic so it goes in and out easy.

It isn't as clean, but if you're worried about taking the wheel of it is an alternative.
(Edited)
Photo of Retired Soldier

Retired Soldier

• 692 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm glad I found this site. My identical mower also exhibits this problem, right out of the box. Purchased off the shelf at my neighborhood HD in San Antonio. Clearly, this is a systemic problem at the assembly plant. You can be sure I'll be requesting a replacement part.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.