NEW EGO 2018 String Trimmer - Carbon Fiber & Powerload | FIRST LOOK!!!!

• Praise
  • Updated 8 months ago
GAME CHANGER!

Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

• 4,058 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
  • EGO wins the Superbowl of yard tools!

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 32,582 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Oh man, I sure hope EGO comes up with a retrofit Powerload head for the older 15" trimmer (like mine). 
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Time to sell... 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 30,998 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Right?
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 31,396 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
KA, always enjoy watching your video reviews.  That said; I do like the Powerload bump head and the Carbon Fiber shaft.  Hard for me to let go of my 1st Generation 15" EGO trimmer though, as that tool works perfectly for me week in and week out.  Like OM, if EGO makes a retrofit Powerload bump head for my 1st Gen, then I will definitely consider it.  For now, I will wait when a "sale price" comes around for this new trimmer - thanks for the video!
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 61,548 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
A retrofit would definitely not work. There is a one way Mechanism, a Motor reversing circuit. So the electronics will be completely different. Reversing circuit only switches 2 of the wires but it would have to send a signal to the controller. Pretty much will cost the same as new.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 32,582 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, but one can dream. LOL. 
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Hey David.  Super glad you enjoyed it.  After seeing the Powerload, I'm shocked that no one else has come up with this.  I agree even, Even EGOs first gen tools are great!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 161,018 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the great first look!
Photo of Carl

Carl

• 60 Points
Can the edger be added to this?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 49,172 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
No, the multi-tool system works in a completely different way. In the multi-tool the motor is up at the top, in the "handle" if you will, with a drive shaft running the length of the tool. The new edger has the motor down at the bottom. 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 49,172 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
And by edger, I mean trimmer.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

I'm not sure if this trimmer uses the motor that spins the head or it has a second motor to load the string.  Does anyone else know?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 61,456 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm sure it uses the same motor it has to because the spool inside rewinds. It just switches the rotation of the motor and pulses it seems. Then the head itself has s one way clutch on it. It's actually quite simple but brilliant.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 61,242 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Innovation beyond belief
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 30,998 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I wondered about that "pulsing" sound. If it was pulsing or was like running a ratchet backwards. Pawls engage in the normal drive direction for trimming, but when winding in new string the motor reverses and goes against the pawls for the rewind process. Seems that could easily work in a retrofit head. Just need to reverse polarity at the switch there in the head for winding in the string. All speculation on my part, but man oh man, I like that feature.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Running backwards with a gas trimmer would be impossible.  Somehow the spool makes a noise (4 min mark - sounds like a gatling gun) as it loads.  It must have some clutch mechanism.  
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 61,456 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Naw. 2 strokes can do it. That would be an expensive trimmer though lol.

The head itseld has a one way bearing or one way clutch. The motor goes into reverse and winds in the string. It only works because of the non reversing outer head (where you see the string come out).
The click is the motor powering over the ramp thing that gets released when you bump feed it.

It's very smart what they did
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

This is an up close of the head
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Anyone else get a chance to use one of these string trimmers yet?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 61,242 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes, the auto load feature is fantastic. The Carbon fiber shaft looks great. (not sure if the strength is needed unless a bear attack occurs while I am out trimming).
Overall it was a solid tool and well balanced.  Felt very comfortable to use and had plenty of power to whip through some brush and scrub. 
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

I was uncertain about the need for carbon fiber too - other than the cool factor.
Photo of Kenneth Vondrasek

Kenneth Vondrasek

• 762 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
So I assume this reversing function prevents EGO from offering this Power Load feature with carbon fiber shaft to be made into an optional appliance for the Power+ Multi-Head system? This would be a wonderful option for those of us who have committed to investing in the Multi-Head system if EGO could figure that one out - Even if we already own the older generation 15" string trimmer as I do!  
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Many people seem to be hoping for a retrofit.  I guess we will see.