New 18 Inch Chainsaw with 11,000 RPMs?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Where can I find more information on this new 18 inch chainsaw that says "New" on Home Depot?  I can't find a single review on it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-18-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Cordless-Electric-Chainsaw-Kit-with-New-2P...

I'd be happy to review if you need volunteers.  :)   I am in Florida and may need to use it very soon thanks to Dorian!

Photo of Tom H

Tom H

• 432 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
It is brand new model so no reviews yet.  I imagine the web tool reviewers should be posting their opinions any day now.

Looks like they addressed the chain tensioning issue that some people had problems with and added LED lights which should be helpful especially in emergency type work (storms etc).
(Edited)
And variable speed trigger ^^
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,446 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how well the EGO 14" or 16" saws would do in cleaning up fallen trees from a storm. Besides that, they cost a lot less and more importantly they weigh a whole lot less. The 14" with a 2.5AH battery weighs around 13 pounds. According to the HD listing you provided, the new 18" with a 5.0AH battery weighs in at a porky 21 pounds. Enough difference for me not to ever want it.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,890 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Maybe it depends on need? I'd think a heavier chainsaw would be beneficial for certain jobs. Especially if the wood is fairly big, dense, and the saw could use the weight along with gravity to help drive it through whatever is being cut. I have very little direct experience with any chainsaw but I have had a lightweight one in the past and do recall thinking a heavier one would have been nice from time to time.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I think that is kind of the point of the new saw.  Get the size that will work best for you, 14 16 or 18.  Ego now has quite the line up of saws.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

Just sayin' lifting/maneuvering a 20 pound saw is fatiguing. Power and bar length are definite advantages of having a big saw, but weight - not so much. The one advantage of weight would be bucking - not really something a homeowner is going to do much of. BTW - a comparable 18" gas Echo is only 13 pounds.      
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,890 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm assuming the weight of the EGO is with the 5 ah battery. The saw manual says the tool itself is just under 10 lbs. Is the 13 lb Echo weight before adding fuel? Might be more of a wash once fuel is added.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Ego 18" @ 9.7 lbs + 5.0 @ 5lbs = 14.7 lbs total
So the 21 lb listed above is both porky and a mistake.
anyone have experience running a EGO chainsaw + backpack link? im curious about it.
im sure backpack works great for trimmer, multi-tool and blower, but i have yet to see how it works with chainsaw. (i want 7.5h for all my tools)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Good question.  I have not but am sure it operates just fine. 

I think it is all a matter of if the cord is going to bother you and I think that will be a personal preference.  People have commented on the hedge trimmer - some like the weight of the battery out of their hands and on their back - others feel one of the main advantages of the battery power is to be free of a cord and not have to work around it and maneuver so as not to cut it.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sweet. This seems like a monster.

Proper rpm now too.

I wonder how many watts this motor is.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,716 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What is the RPM of the 14"?  I have one and I don't like the slow speed and the lack of power with a 2.0/2.5 ah battery installed.  It won't stall if I install a stronger battery but that means a 7.5.  I don't have anything between a 2.5 and a 7.5.
(Edited)
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

EGO 14/16 saws run at 6800 RPM, while a gas saw runs about twice that speed. Like the other EGO tools, it requires a different technique.
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 7,086 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Thanks for the link bfc
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

• 5,796 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion