Need RFID scanner for product registration!

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Under Consideration
The process for registering my new Ego lawn mower was a bit painful. The process for entering all three serial number for my mower, battery, and charger was tedious and unnecessary. (Could you make the SN’s any smaller?). Add an RFID tag on the mower and allow customers to scan using a mobile device, which will automatically populate the product SN’s you are looking for. And don’t make the battery and charger SN required to register the mower, make them optional. Love the mower so far!
Photo of Derek Smith

Derek Smith

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • slightly frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,272 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This is a fantastic idea, Derek! We'll share it with the team today. 
Photo of Derek Smith

Derek Smith

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Cool. And yes I meant QR code like Ken mentions, not a RFID tag. Being able to quickly scan with a mobile phone would be key!
Photo of Timothy

Timothy

• 1,104 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Ego should have an app.  Scan the QR code, and boom! your product is registered!  The QR code could even tell them if it was a kit, or a solo product, and should be able to relate all the serials needed based on where the QR code points, or what data it contains.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Scan code on box, tells app whether kit or bare tool, app prompts to scan relevant components. I like!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
An RFID would be difficult because it needs a special type of reader, but a QR code would work. Any smartphone or tablet with a camera can read those. My drone has a QR code on it for automatically logging into its Wi-Fi with my phone.

That said, the way I've always dealt with Ego's serial numbers is to take a picture of them with my phone when I'm out in my garage, then I can read them more easily when I'm in front of my computer registering them.

And somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when I entered the serial number for a tool I bought as a kit, the serial numbers for the battery and charger registered automatically.
Photo of Timothy

Timothy

I just registered my kits yesterday, and had to manually enter all 3 serial numbers for each device.  QR codes should be pretty easy to do, and less expensive for both Ego and the customers than RFID.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,498 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I had to register each battery and snowblower maybe charger too I think when I bought the kit.
Photo of Shatfieldj

Shatfieldj

• 1,470 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Also Ego, could you darken the serial numbers so they can easily be seen like the rest of the sticker. My eyes are pretty good but the contrast for the background on the serial numbers tend to blend in. I have double vision now. L o l. But at least I'm registered now.
Photo of Timothy

Timothy

I ended up having to take pictures with my phone, that I could then open on my laptop to zoom in and read it with ease. :D
(Edited)
Photo of Shatfieldj

Shatfieldj

• 1,470 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Great idea Timothy. Wish I would of thought about that. On a side note, I realized that I didn't register my string trimmer that came in my kit. I noticed that my battery and charger were both made in Feb 2018. Both had the bolder numbers on them a lot easier to see. On my other battery and charger they were made in Jan 2018, so it seems that they switched the sticker type after Jan. Good job Ego, although the process is longer than I would like.
Photo of David

David

• 70 Points

I've been using the self propelled mower this past summer and it's great.
I just bought the snowblower and am looking forward to using it this winter.
However, when I went to register the snowblower, the website asks for 4 serial numbers!
One for the blower, one for the charger and one for each of the batteries. So I won't be completing this. Suggest that there should be one unified number (apart from a serial number) on a kit that can be used for registration.

Also, I was a bit disappointed that the snow blower doesn't offer the same handle height adjustment that the lawn mower does.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,650 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
All Ego tool registration works the same way.  The batteries and chargers have a 3 year warranty and the tools have a 5 year warranty. 
Not sure why you would not complete the registration because it asks for 4 serial numbers.  You purchased 4 warrantied items in your snow blower kit.

I would suggest you complete the registration so all of your tools are covered.
Photo of David

David

• 70 Points
>All Ego tool registration works the same way.

Which, of course, is just my point. They should all work in another, more customer friendly, way.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,650 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agree it could be easier, but it is not so difficult as to go forward without warranty coverage.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Just snap a pic of the SN of each item with your phone. It saves writing things down and/or errors. Then just call up the pics while sitting at your computer. Seems easy enough to me?
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb