Need brown box delivery!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
My $4 razors are shipped with no indicator of contents. All of my Ego is shipped from Home Depot in retail boxes, sitting on my porch beat to H--LL, begging to be stolen. Please, Ego, talk to HD, this is just bad. My $450 blower is in the shelf box literally beaten and battered from all sides with EGO Blower and a giant picture of it on every side. I used to sell on various web platforms, and aside from freighting a toilet, I always concealed the contents, thanks for listening.
Photo of John Charles Kershner

John Charles Kershner

• 642 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,584 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think Home Depot gives you the option of picking up the shipment at the store. Maybe that would work for you instead?
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

• 6,328 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
It used to amaze me to see the black and white Holstein cow Gateway computer boxes sitting on people's porches.  Indeed a plain wrapper would be helpful.  

John, if you live close to a Home Depot, in-store pick up is definitely the way to go.  I have done it about a half dozen times, no shipping charge and you don't have to worry about the security of your stuff.  When you get the email that your order is in, give them a call about 30 minutes prior to picking it up so they can get your order up front for you.   It generally takes less than 5 minutes to pick up your stuff, providing the service counter is not busy. Picked up my  Ego mower last week, and I got a 575 CFM blower coming in on Thursday.  Also you can go pretty much at your convenience.  My mower came in on May 2 and the email said they would hold it until June 7.   The process works nice and no shipping charge on bigger stuff is worth the savings if you have a vehicle capable of carrying the item.  
Yes, def. just been working long days and it feels great to not stop on the way home! And shipped to the door is rad; no extra gas burned, lines waited in or trying to find someone in Home Depot that knows...well...I'll leave it at that.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

OK, I forget that there are still people who are gainfully employed.  But there is something to be said for your item actually being there.  Also less hassle if the box is damaged from shipping.   My experience with in-store pickup has been nothing but positive.  No long waits and everyone knew what they were doing, but as they say YMMV.   We have had a lot of UPS and Fed EX theft in this area, although I have never had a problem.  My son has had several items stolen from his porch.  I am inclined to use the in-store pick up especially for expensive items.  
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,294 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This is an excellent point, John, and we’re passing it on to the team. 
Amber, my students volunteer and work organic local gardens upcyclying and repurposing anything they can find. They need to see why and how Ego is making things happen - and They are already asking to see the overall consumption comparison of building/utilizing Ego tools vs traditional machinery over time. When are ya'll going to expo in Texas? We aren't all rich oil guys and cowboys down here....;)
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,294 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
John, someone from our team will be contacting you directly via email.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thankfully there is a FedEx location in my office building, so I have all my Ego shipments redirected there. If you have a FedEx/Kinko's near you that would be an option, in addition to in-store pickup.
Photo of Brad Carey

Brad Carey

• 2,250 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
My EGO hedge trimmer came from Home Depot in Canada and was delivered in a brown box with minimal markings of the contents.

Is the consumer responsible for items stolen from their porch? I'm thinking of items from the likes of Home Depot, Amazon, etc.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Amazon replaced the items that were stolen from my son.  Amazon has also started setting up shipping lockers.  We have none in our area but I think I might be inclined to use it if we did.  They install the locker in some public place.  When your item arrives, they email or text you the code to open the locker for your specific item.  No line or clerks as far as I know.  I don't know how big of an item that the lockers can handle.  
I would caution people to remember that Amazon has a lot of third party sellers that do their own shipping.   They may be more inclined not to honor a stolen item.   
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,584 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I wanted to come back to this. The reason is when we were living in San Diego, things were stolen off of porches all the time. Didn't matter if in unmarked boxes, or not. The thieves don't care what kind of box it is. All they want is to resell this item for drug money or to pay the rent. Not saying that a plain box might deter some, but it won't be many. If package theft is a problem in your area, have the item shipped to HD and pick it up there. It's free to ship to HD. Of, if your work will allow it, have it shipped there. The last place I worked that wasn't allowed but other companies I worked for allowed it.