Narrow down EGO string trimmer choices?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I'm very interested in EGO string trimmers. I'm having a challenge narrowing down the choices. I see 15" and 12", 2.5 Ah and 5.0 Ah batteries, different heads, and other differences. Can someone simplify how to narrow down the choices and differences?

Thanks in advance.
Photo of AP1

AP1

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
12” bump feed only

15” has options:
Bump feed
Rapid Reload bump feed
Powerload bump feed
All 15” models available as straight or split shaft (no difference once you get it home and assemble it).

The 2.5Ah battery is a great choice for most people with average sized lawns. If you have several acres or hundreds of feet of fence to trim, a 5Ah battery might make sense. These trimmers will last most people 30 min or so with a 2.5Ah battery doing fairly steady trimming.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,668 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Your other option is the powerhead system.  It has multiple tool attachments including a 15" string trimmer, lawn edger, hedge trimmer, and pole saw.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Very true!
Photo of Bud Bud

Bud Bud

• 466 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am new to this myself. I have found that the bigger the better longer usage time. I have both 7.5 and 5 amp hour batteries. So far the lawn mower awesome and the blower is as well.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,766 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It is a trade off between weight (which is an issue for some) and run time.
(Edited)
Photo of AP1

AP1

Thanks for the replies so far. I really appreciate it.

Regarding the batteries, I wonder if getting a 15" trimmer with a 2.5 Ah battery and buying a second 2.5 Ah battery would be an effective solution. That way if I can't finish the work in 30 minutes, I'd have a second battery ready to go. That way, I don't have to deal with the extra weight of the 5.0 or 7.5. Just a thought.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
This is similar to what I was thinking.  If you don't already have a good blower, the 530 kit comes with a 2.5Ah pack in charger, so if you get that and the trimmer that works best for you (the regular 15 incher I generally prefer for most of the lawns I do because of how easy it is to maneuver), you'll have a blower, a trimmer, and two batteries.  The 2.5Ah pack separately is $149 last I checked, and the 530 kit is $199.  It only makes sense for me personally to spend the extra $50 to get an extra blower and charger.

The 15 inch trimmer is long and takes a small bit of practice to use also given the direction of rotation if you're used to trimmers spinning the string the opposite way or if you haven't used many trimmers, but once you get used to it, you can do work like a champ.  Also, I recommend Echo Black Diamond trimmer line 0.095 for the 15 incher.  It flies in a very nice disk without flailing or making noise, so it isn't wasting energy making noise, and with its very stable flight, you can make extremely clean and quick cuts with it.  It is also relatively hard, yet not brittle, so it won't break or weld inside the trimmer spool, at least not frequently.  It takes practice to learn what different trimmer lines like and don't like, but once you figure it all out especially with the Black Diamond line, you shouldn't have any breaking, welding or any other trouble with the line.  It can really take a lot of hell, I can tell you that, and so can the trimmer.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The only downside to using two smaller batteries would come during the “100’s of feet of fence” scenario... if you have to walk a considerable distance to fetch the spare battery. Otherwise, no problem.

For those following along who may be faced with larger property maintenance, do know that Ego has a shoulder strap should you need the larger battery and find the weight an issue.

Another option is the new Backpack Link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Vo...

That takes the battery weight right out of the equation.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yes, haha, that is the only downside.  It's funny that you mention that because all the lawns I do are in my neighborhood and I just walk my equipment there.  I've started taking multiple batteries to my jobs at a time for that very reason, so I don't have to walk (or skate) all the way back to the house to swap batteries.  I will probably start taking a backpack full of batteries since I have a total of ten of them.
Photo of AP1

AP1

You guys are awesome. I'm really grateful for your detailed replies!

Sounds like I should be completely confident choosing EGO for my next string trimmer. Now I have to just decide which one.

Oh, any insight on whether the rapid charger is worth the extra money? I don't see may trimmers that come with that charger.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The rapid charger is nice, especially if you have to charge one of the larger batteries. The small batteries charge in ~40-50 min on the standard charger which is pretty quick.