Why does by 12" string trimmer unexpectedly slow down?

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
My weed wacker unexpectedly slows down, then speeds back up. It happens even when there is no load on the string. I have only used it twice now, and have been disappointed with it slowing down without warning. Is this normal? Is there some setting that I have overlooked? I am planning to buy a hedge trimmer and a blower, but only if this problem can be resolved.
Photo of David Tarr

David Tarr

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
David, do you have the guard installed at the bottom of the trimmer?  If that's not installed, your string trimmer will behave exactly as you describe.  There's a design component that protects the string trimmer from overloading when the guard isn't installed.  The trimmer needs that guard with the line cutting blade to ensure the string is at the correct length to allow proper functionality.  Let us know if that solves the issue.
Photo of Todd

Todd

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I have a new trimmer and it does the same thing.  I do have the guard on.  It just will slow without warning.

Todd, are you using heavy gauge line or the original 0.080" line?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Hi Todd,

Are you trimming when you experience this slow down?  The only slow down I've experienced is kind of an odd feeling, but ok.  I'll be trimming and it slows down a tad them seems to burst with power back to speed.  It's an odd feeling.  All electric battery trimmers do this, to an extent.  I sort of wish they just maintained a constant speed, regardless.   What you are experiencing (if it is the same as what I get) is what I believe to be the built in protection circuitry that would shut down the motor if the string got tangled with something.  Instead of jerking the trimmer out of your hand, the motor slows or stops.  

Hope this helps

(Edited)
Photo of Todd

Todd

yes it is when I am trimming.  It does bump back up fairly quickly, but found it odd.

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Jennifer, I am using .095 trimmer line, and I don't consider it a problem, just an adjustment from Gas.  .095 doesn't break all of the time, so it will create more drag.  I expect the trimmer to act as it does.  It's just a different feeling, that's all.   Works great though.
Photo of Todd

Todd

Last night, after using the trimmer to edge approximately 200 ft of sidewalk and landscape area and about 20-25 min of constant running it slowed down again momentarily.  This is the first time in a while.  I wonder if the battery gets overheated.

Todd, when trimming, do you notice if the battery light changes colors from green to orange?  That would indicate a possible issue with overloading or overheating. Keep us posted.