my Snow blower need lot more push this year compare to last year

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
My Ego Snow blower is little over an year old and last year i was convinced with it performance.

But this year i see that i need to push it lot more than last year.
Does it need any maintenance that i missed , any help/tips would be appreciated

Thank you
San
Photo of San

San

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 12,122 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Not sure where you are located, but the upper Midwest at least has had some unusual, terribly wet heavy snows that that our blower in Minnesota did not like at all.  the wheels would just clog up or the snow would pack before it could get into the paddles, so it was like pushing against a snowbank every step.  We found waiting some hours so the snow dried out before we did the full blowing helped immensely.  

(Edited)
Photo of Dan Lambesis

Dan Lambesis

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The unit is not self propelled - so I think you just ran into heavier, wetter snow compared to previously.  I notice that there are times when pushing is harder as well - but I think it is the nature of the snow (i.e., depth and fluffiness).
Photo of Bill in Calgary

Bill in Calgary

• 386 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I don't own the EGO snow blower, but I do own a single stage blower that, I assume, is quite similar.  The augers on these blowers are actually supposed to lightly touch the ground and provide assistance to your forward motion.  When these paddles wear down (and they will) the machine loses the ability to "pull" a little.  I get two, maybe 3 seasons from a set of auger paddles.  Check if that might be your situation.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

• 1,846 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
My exact reason for not getting the Ego snow blower is that it does not paddle like your single stage blower. The rubber paddles makes the unit self propel which on the Ego snow blower it does not propel at all so its all push. The scraper bar does all the work in directing the snow towards the paddles in order to throw it through the shoot. I have a Toro single stage and have to replace auger and scraper bar every 2 - 3 seasons but on the Ego - the recommendation is to replace the scraper bar every season. Having said that - I agree with others that we have had snow conditions which contain more moisture and is wetter and heavier.   
(Edited)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

So if you didn't get one, how on earth are you qualified to describe how it works or complain about the design?   We blow over 580 feet of gravel drive and a parking pad.  It has been working for years just fine with anything but the really wet heavy stuff that everyone has trouble with.  For snowblowers your time would be better spent, and more useful, on the Toro board.  This board is for Ego users and the Ego-curious.  
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

• 1,846 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Firstly I service all my own machines and that is how I qualify for my opinions, you should read the comment as there is no complaint rendered. I was stating a point that the Ego does not paddle and to say my time is better spent in the Toro forum is BS. This is a free forum and people are entitled to express their opinions - if that rubbed you the wrong way - well so be it.  Again - read before you bark as I am an Ego user.  
(Edited)
Photo of Bill in Calgary

Bill in Calgary

• 386 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The operating instructions for my blower say to lift the handle slightly.  This drops the front end of the blower so the auger blades scuff the ground.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

I think that is true.  In our case we have to defeat that feature by pushing down to lift the front slightly, otherwise it catches on every rut, and our gravel drive ends up in our lawn, lol.  (I know not supposed to use it on gravel, and we take full responsibility) After a few falls, once we have a smooth snow pack surface down, it does work much better. 
Photo of Christopher Kopek

Christopher Kopek

• 410 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I live in Kansas City and I agree they were heavy wet snows this year.  Our commercial blower at work was struggling, so overall I'm very pleased with the snowblower.  I do find that silicone spray on the paddles and surrounding arease helps alot with keeping the snow moving

Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 9,120 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Maybe try to coat it with the Teflon sprays made for snow blowers?
Photo of San

San

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
thank you for all the ideas community
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 2,002 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Another thing could be the scraper bar is getting dull. Take a look at it. They are wearable parts and replacements are available for around $22.