My only issue with the 7.5 self propelled mower

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
First off let me say I own the mower, snow blower, self loading string trimmer, blower and edger. I love all ego products. Out of all my ego products, I’m having a issue with the performance of my mower. I had no issues putting together the mower. Folds and stores properly, powers and starts fine, self propelled feature works fine, mulching/discharge is fine. Now once I start to mow my lawn, by the time I’m done I notice all over my yard that there’s single strands of uncut grass and sometimes even small uncut strips of grass. I have tried everything including lowering and raising the cut settings, I have mulched, bagged, etc and nothing has worked. I bought the mower a little over a year ago and have gotten about 10 cuts out of it. What can I do to fix this issue? Change the blade already which has been barely used? Did I get a lemon? I have noticed reading reviews online that this is a very common issue with these mowers. I’d hate to get rid of the mower because of something small but seeing all the strands of uncut grass and uneven cuts all the time is starting to take a toll on me. The mower is expensive so I expect the cut to be great. I really don’t want to have to go back to a gas mower and interrupt my ego product lineup. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 7,124 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Be sure the blade is turned right side up.  There is an engraved direction on the blade.   One other person had the same problem when their blade came from the factory wrong side up.

Hope this helps!  

I love my LM2101 push mower and have only had problems when I put something back together wrong.  Otherwise it's been a flawless mower for 3 years!

I'm sure you know how to mow a lawn so if I suggest something, don't take it the wrong way. I'm 66 and I've been mowing lawns since I was 11 years old and I have learned the hard way over the years on some things. I don't blame you for looking to the mower first for what could be wrong. I'd probably do that, too. That said, I've had the described problem when I mowed too fast, when the grass or patches of the grass were either too thick or too wet. You were right to change the blade as an unsharp blade could also be the culprit. Also, the amount of overlap cutting has to be monitored. One things I'm wondering is if the mower bed underneath and/or blade could be getting clogged with grass. This obviously can happen if there is dampness of the grass, not an uncommon condition since, well, it's outdoors and conditions are what they are. 

I have been known in my years of cutting grass to double cut - cut the yard again the opposite direction to get everything as even as possible. It's very possible to miss spots. If you are watching as you go along, you can just recut the part you missed right quick as you go along. A few blades of grass sticking up can be plucked or clipped with clippers.

What you have described is actually a pretty common situation with lawn grass cutting no matter what you are using. Try adjusting your technique and finishing. If you were seeing huge swaths of uncut grass, I'd be more concerned. 
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

Since Peggy Bair mentioned it, I do watch the edges and overlap my cut slightly, especially when the grass is over-long.   With a battery mower that I can't wash, I don't cut the grass when it is damp for fear I would damage the electronics.   At 75 - I want the mower to last until I end my yard cutting career....aka get too old.
Photo of mopsman .

mopsman .

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Check the blade. After hitting a few rocks the blade is a bit dinged up. I bought a "high lift" blade, which should address my issue of not pulling the grass up hard enough. On Amazon: EGO Power+ AB2101 21-Inch Lawn Mower High Lift Blade for EGO 21-Inch Lawn Mower. 
Photo of Chuck Losch

Chuck Losch

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a 2015 Ego mower I bought in the spring of 2016 for our new home with a smaller lot and no sheds allowed. I wanted to avoid gasoline smells in the garage.
My mower leaves a raggedy cut. Not as neat as my former Honda mower, but not as noisy, hot, and smelly. Love the Ego even though the cut is not perfect. My cut is not too bad however I do see random spots of taller grass.
Also own an Ego trimmer(2015), blower and hedge clipper (2017).
I’m wondering if the new double blade would work on my older model.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 79,100 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The new double blade will not work on your older model. 
Photo of Chuck Losch

Chuck Losch

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks. I thought that would be the case.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 111,918 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Some suggestions

1) Sharpen the Blade - yes even day one out of the box
2) Do not cut in the circular pattern
3) use a different pattern each time you cut
4) Try the high lift blade

Photo of Jason

Jason

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the replies. Next time I head out to my garage I’ll check if the blade was installed correctly from the factory. I honestly didn’t think of it to check at the time since the blade itself was already installed. I’m not a big fan of double cutting, I don’t hate cutting grass but I don’t want to be spending extra time out there double cutting. I will probably just be slightly overlapping and maybe cut at a slower pace or keep the SP at a low pace if I decide to use that. I will admit at times I maybe let my grass grow taller than it should before cutting, especially my back yard which has more lusher thicker grass and tends to grow faster compared to my front yard. I’m gonna try to make it more of a habit to cut my entire yard more frequently and not let the grass get too tall where the weight and wheels of the mower clamp and smush down the grass. I have noticed that as well. If I have exhausted all the options above, I will look into the hi lift blade and go from there. Thank you all for the replies.
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

What kind of grass do you have?   Some northern grasses are very tough to cut.  

I'm in N FL with tender centipede and I get a golf green cut every time - it looks better than the yard service with their fancy zero circle mower ever did.  My yard is small in a senior citizen kind of neighborhood, just a bit bigger than zero lot line, so I can take time to overlap a bit.

I had a patch of wide blade St. Augustine, another Southern grass, and it is tougher and has to be cut higher with a very sharp blade or the tips turn brown.

The speed of the turn (forgot the term) of the blade is a bit slower than a gas mower, or maybe even an electric mower, but it's still satisfactory for my grass.  

There are occasional missed blades that I just pinch off...and I think that's due to less lift.  I tried the high lift blade but didn't like the extra noise and didn't think it cut any better.

What's this about a double blade?  Is that a mower with two blades or a double-edge blade?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 111,812 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
2 blades. Ego new LM2130 advertised as "select cut"

https://egopowerplus.com/21-inch-self-propelled-mower-select-cut/

You definitely have to overlap. If you are trying to get really close without overlapping, you are bound to miss some blades. It's hard to be exact because the blade is tucked inside the machine and all you can see are the wheel impressions.

Absolutely, the weather doesn't always cooperated perfectly so we can exactly cut the grass exactly on time and it doesn't grow an exact amount all the time. 

Yeah, there's a technique to this grass cutting thing - I'm a bit more anal about technique than my husband is - he's okay with missing a few spots or having blades sticking up. LOL. I cut for money when I was a kid so my "experience" was that I couldn't get away with that stuff. At least I earned my buck-fifty fair and square. 

Once you get solid with your technique, you'll be happier - and definitely happier that you aren't wrestling with gas mowers anymore. They're noisy, they stink of gasoline, and they have a lot more service requirements. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 79,202 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Szwoopp mentions it above, and I've seen it mentioned by someone else recently about not mowing in a circular pattern. I'm not sure why that is. 
My yard is essentially a rectangle so one week I'll mow in the long direction of the rectangle, next week I'll mow across the rectangle, next week I'll mow CCW around the yard starting at the perimeter and working my way to the middle, the next week CW. So, essentially the CCW and CW are "circles". I see no difference in cut quality in any of those methods. I also overlap each pass, make sure my blade is sharp, and the bottom of the mower is mostly clear of buildup. 
I also do as Peggy mentions above and if I see a blade of grass all alone I just back up and get it. I also walk at a fairly leisurely pace when mowing and that seems to help some. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Just doing what I'm told lol

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Maybe it was the manual where I saw that and just attributed it to someone else. No idea even why the manual says not to cut in circles. My backyard has curves and I just follow the profile of the curves. Does great. I feel mixing up the mowing pattern is best because the yard doesn't "take a set". It's what I was taught from day one of mowing when I was a young'n and still do it today.
Definitely agree with all of the other highlighted items.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Only thing I can think of is having the mower/blade cut equal amounts of grass.  By cutting in a circular pattern one side of the mower is mowing more grass than the other. 

But I do the same as you. Start at the outside edge and follow the pattern created. And then also change patterns including cutting "straight across" 

Different grass types, lawn thickness, mowing habits affect the results, so I continue to offer the do not cut in a circular pattern.  May help some more than others
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

I cut along the contour of my yard as well, from the outside to the inside.   I think they mean don't make tight circles that cause the mower to lean and cut uneven grooves in the lawn, maybe even scalp it.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

You mean I can't do lawn mower donuts in my yard? ;)
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

Of course you can, Champion Mike, sir.   However, it's going to give your lawn a sculpted hi-lo carpet look.   Maybe you could do 'crop circles' to amaze your neighbors....or you could advance to an art form:  https://static01.nyt.com/images/2007/08/05/nyregion/05towns.xlarge1.jpg

:8->
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Yes! A GPS enabled EGO lawnmower. Now wouldn't that be a hoot? Lots of crop circles and fancy art in the yard. 
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,688 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

High Lift Blade - dump that lousy stock blade.

Changed my world - nuf said