My mower dies when I start to move it.

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Solved
Dies when I start to move it. I bought my mower almost a year ago and it is wonderful, but this year I have have had this problem twice now. Mowing my yard just fine until the battery dies, put another battery in so I can continue and it starts just fine but when I start to move it to mow it dies. I have 2 batteries and it does this with either one of them. I took it to my local Home Depot and the associate & I put on the ground so I could show him what it does and it worked fine. Here I am again with the same problem about a month later. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be the problem?
Photo of Bev Morgan

Bev Morgan

• 672 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated and sad

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,100 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi. It has to be the handle clamps. Does the problem happen when you pull it backwards?
Photo of Brad Christie

Brad Christie

• 2,568 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Another thing to check is where are you restating it from--mid lawn? I've noticed if I try to start going deep into tall grass immediately I get a load error and it dies (most likely a safety feature). This still happen on pavement?
Photo of Bev Morgan

Bev Morgan

Thank you Brad, I always start it on my pavers. I think Jacob has solved my problem
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Official Response
Unclamp the green handle locks. Pull handle back all the way until you see the black lines, then clamp them. Problem should be fixed. Its from you pushing the mower, it is collapsing the handle slightly.
Photo of kjklimek

kjklimek

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I was struggling with this issue for a couple of weeks.  Home Depot was NO help.  This tip got me up and running again.  Thanks!
Photo of Bev Morgan

Bev Morgan

Thank you Jacob, I think I do remember one of them being unclamped, never would've thought of that.
Photo of Bev Morgan

Bev Morgan

Jacob, Just wanted you to know that you helped me tremendously. My front yard is now done thanks to you.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That's great to hear Bev! And thanks for following up once you figured it out! So many times people post their issues on forums, get the help they need, and are never seen again... posting the follow up helps countless others who will read these pages for years to come!

And yes, nice job Jacob! Nail on the head!!! :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Im just glad I got to it before you blue. First time for everything. LOL
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Not that I didn't see it, this is a case where I didn't have a clue... and you had experience with the issue and knew exactly what the problem was.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Glad to help. Remember we are always here to help eachother out.
Photo of Sandra Lotstein

Sandra Lotstein

• 72 Points
This did not help fix my issue.  The lawnmower starts and then dies.  The batteries are fully charged.  The handles are fully extended.  The handles in any position doesn't affect it.  Lifting the mower or starting it on pavement doesn't help. There is no grass caught between the blades; although, initially, I did find this to be the case, but now the mower starts and then dies down and off.  
Photo of Patty Norris

Patty Norris

• 60 Points
I am having the same issue!

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 108,446 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Patty

Have you checked that the handles are fully extended and locked in place.  Have you tried pulling it backwards to confirm that the safety switch in the handle is not triggering the shut down.

Any orange/yellow light indicating an overload

Beyond that give Ego CS a call.  Explain what you have tried and they may have additional trouble shooting or will get you started on a repair.

They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).