My mower continues to shut off mid mow

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I have had the EGO Power+ mower for about 1 year now and love it. The mower makes yard work simple and uncomplicated. Until this past weekend, I have had no trouble with the tool. 

When mowing the lawn on Saturday, the mower would shut off mid mow. It mainly seemed to be related to any bump or slight hill in my yard. With that said, the mower stopped several times on flat ground. After a bit of research on the internet, I found that the automatic mower shut-off / handle clips could be the issue. I looked the clips over and found that each was tight. I found the closing a readjusting the handle and clips would buy me a few feet of flat ground to mow. At the first turn or bump, the mower would shut off again. 

Has anyone had a similar issue? I have found a similar post on here with no resolution listed. I have left a message with EGO customer service yet have not received a reply. I would appreciate any help that could be offered. 

Thank you, 

Matt 
Photo of Matt Sutor

Matt Sutor

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Matt, I'm under the impression that the revised design clips available through Customer Service will resolve that issue.

I'm pretty sure my 20" mower clips are getting weak as well. I have been mowing my small yard for almost two years now with the Ego and loving it, but I do notice the handle sliding in and out slightly and every now and then one of the clips will come loose and the mower will stop mid-cut.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ive got a ton of miles on mine and the original clips are still running strong. Soo. Is the mower overloading at all? Light on battery flashing orange? A shut down like this seems weird. If the clips are in and the handle is pivoted back correctly, doesnt seem like the clips being your issue. Unless the tabs are broken off.

Please check this one thing. Push it on a sidewalk or driveway that isnt bumpy. Is the problem gone? Im windering if it is related to bumps, and so, an electical issue.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Matt, were you able to reach customer service or determine what might be causing the issue?  Please let us know here.
Photo of Matt Sutor

Matt Sutor

Thank you all for your suggestions (and for your follow-up, Jennifer). I just spoke with a customer service representative. He believes that it may be a faulty switch in the handle of the mower where the key is placed. He is sending me a replacement part and instructions for the repair. I have my fingers crossed that this resolves the issue. I'll be sure to update everyone once I make the change. 
Photo of Ryan Neves

Ryan Neves

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have the same issue, please keep us posted if this fixes the issue. We replaced the battery and charger as support at first thought this was an issue with the battery voltage, I thought it might be the drive cable on the left side as it gets better if I re-pull the handle all the way out, but I haven't found any instructions for taking the mower apart. 
(Edited)
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Like that Ego is sending parts and not making you got to Home Depot for the repair.
EGO...please make parts available so us engineer and technician types can fix our own mowers and ego tools!

We hear you loud and clear Exrace.  This is something we're looking into but don't have a firm date on when/if we can release all of the parts for the tools (not just the user-friendly ones.)  Please know that this is under consideration.
Photo of Matt Sutor

Matt Sutor

Hello all, I wanted to provide an update on the issue. I received a package from EGO this past Saturday. Using a PDF that EGO customer service provided, I opened the handle casing of the mower. Upon fully unwrapping the replacement switch box, I was surprised to find that nothing was inside. That is to say: the replacement switch box was simply another plastic housing for the handle components with no new electronics/parts at all. I called customer service to see if this was a misshipment. Jorge (the customer rep) said that this was not a mistake. Replacing the plastic housing around the handle may fix this issue. He added that if anything electronic was faulty, that I would not be able to replace that at home. 

I found this all a bit disappointing. During the previous discussions that I had with customer service, I was never asked if there was a crack to the housing or if I found loose pieces on the inside, etc. To use a car analogy, it seems that EGO has sent me a new hood to fix an engine problem. 

I will replace the plastic casing tonight. There is the possibility that I simply do not understand the engineering behind the handle to this mower. With that said, I do not see how this will fix the mower shutting down on an incline. Seems to be the waste of a week in resolving the issue. 

Hi Matt, keep us posted if this housing doesn't solve the issue and we're sorry that customer service wasn't completely clear on the course of action.  If you have any issues, please call us and ask for a supervisor.  They are all aware of this post.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I like the hood analogy, but perhaps it's more like how a bad gas cap seal is a pretty common cause of check engine lights (and failed emissions inspections)—although not the most obvious cause unless you understand how they are linked.

Here's to hoping the part you received does in fact solve your problem Matt!
Photo of Matt Sutor

Matt Sutor

Thanks, Dave. That's a great point about the gas cap. My fingers are crossed. 
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Or perhaps it is the fix. I posted on another post how the safety key works. Here are the pics. Is this the piece they sent you?

It is the black piece in the picture thats got a curve.
Photo of Matt Sutor

Matt Sutor

Hi Jacob. Thanks for lending a hand. I thought that it might have something to do with the safety key as well. It would stand to reason that a safety key malfunction would result in the mower abruptly shutting off. 

Upon disassembling the casing around the handle (and installing the new casing that EGO sent to me) I found that the safety key matched all of the diagrams/images that EGO had provided. It was not worn or broken. 

I reassembled the mower last night and found the issue persisted. Whenever the mower is titled backwards (say, for a turn in the yard) the mower would shut down. 

I called customer support and have the location of a Home Depot who will make repairs. I'll drop it off today. 
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Mow with the handle rotated forward 1 notch if you mow with it all the way down. Or vice versa.The handle i am taking about is the part that rotates. There is a switch in there that makes sure it is rotated back or it wont turn on. There are 2 settings. Try the other one you arent using.
Photo of Matt Sutor

Matt Sutor

Thanks, Jacob. Unfortunately, the mower is now in the hands of the Home Depot at Fairfax Circle. They quoted me a 2-3 week timetable for diagnosing the problem. They said that it will take longer if they need to order any parts. I was pretty disappointed with that time frame. Hopefully that just means they're thorough and will get the job done. 
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,716 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That sounds unacceptably long to me.
Photo of Harry

Harry

• 2,802 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

IMHO if EGO is going to succeed in this market, they need to find another channel to do diagnosis and repairs beyond HD. All HD is interested in doing is SELLING. 2-3 weeks just to diagnosis a problem is unacceptable. EGO will not succeed with this type of a partner. With the internet, word on this problem will get around quickly and potential buyers will be turned off real quickly.

I run a manufacturing company and would not stand for this type of delay and service for my customers. Pretty soon EGO will not have any customers, esp. any repeat customers.

Thanks for the feedback Harry.  We do take this seriously and are always escalating these issues internally with the Home Depot.  We continue to work with our partner to make the process better and faster.
Photo of Matt Sutor

Matt Sutor

Good Morning All, 

I wanted to provide closure to this issue. After 3 weeks, Home Depot called to say that the mower was fixed. I asked what the cause of the issue was. The repairman said, that he replaced the clips on the handle. To this, I naturally said, "So, this issue is completely fixed, right?" He said that if the issue still occurs with the mower that I would need to send it back to the manufacturer. That didn't provide me the level of confidence that I had hoped for in the repair. 

When we went to Home Depot to pick up the mower, they were unable to find it. After 45 mins we left. I continued to get one email and one phone call a day to come and pick up my mower. When I asked the caller each time if they had found the mower, none could confirm. We eventually went back and a different service desk employee gave us the mower. He was shocked that they were unable to find it before. 

The Saturday morning after getting the repaired mower, I took it out to cut the lawn. I was happy to stop paying the neighborhood kids to cut my yard (and do a reasonably bad job of doing so). Within 1 minute of starting to cut, the mower died. Admittedly, I was so mad. I really don't believe that the repairman did anything during the month they had my mower. 

Pretty angry, I took the mower back to Home Depot. Politely (you'll always catch more flies with honey...), I explained that Home Depot should stand behind the good they sell. They had tried to fix it once and failed. I asked for a new machine. The young man working at the customer service desk was very accommodating and reasonable. He agreed entirely with me. I left my bad mower with them and walked out with a new machine. 

I certainly like the EGO product; however, this is a huge gap in their business process. Tools will break from time to time and there needs to be a better path to repair in this instance. 

Official Response
Matt, we're really sorry to hear about this terrible service and at least are happy to hear you are off and running with a replacement mower.  This is a serious issue that we are looking into.  We are going to contact you via email to get your contact information so that we can track down this Home Depot and find out how this repair wasn't correct the first time.
Photo of Matt Sutor

Matt Sutor

Hi Jennifer, I am happy to help where I can. Thank you
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your well written and level headed account! I can imagine it took some self control to deal with them without losing your marbles!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I agree with Blue. If I'd spent weeks without my mower, only to find they had only replaced a part I could have replaced myself for free, then didn't test the mower to make sure it was fixed, I would have come unglued.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I don't have patience for that, I would borrow my neighbor's lawn mower to cut while waiting.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.