My ego mower shorted out my battery!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

Took the mover and trimmer out to cut the grass.  popped the battery in.  went to start it. nothing.  took the trimmer battery and nothing happened also.  thought the batteries might not have been charged.  check the charge.  said they were full.  I have a hedge trimmer also.  so i checked both batteries on the hedge trimmer.  didnt work.  the battery for the hedge trimmer worked the string trimmer also.  so it has to be the mower shorted out the 2 batteries.  
Photo of Keith Barbour

Keith Barbour

• 98 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dennis Brikmanis

Dennis Brikmanis

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Seems like for a high quality mower I seem to see more and more problems being reported lately...good thing they have 5 year warranties
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ego has sold A LOT of these mowers this season. No idea exactly how many, but the handful of issues that have been reported here are surely a tiny fraction of the number that have been sold.

And Ego completely stands behind the battery and tool warranties whenever there is an issue like this.
Photo of Dennis Brikmanis

Dennis Brikmanis

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
That's not the point...is EGO working on resolving these problems to make a better quality mower as when people pay top dollar for these mowers and batteries they should expect better quality
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I certainly believe Ego cares about every single failure, but I am interested to hear what makes you think otherwise?

Personally, I know they had me send my battery that had an unusual failure back to them for testing after I received my replacement.

Generally speaking, given the cost of shipping batteries especially, a high rate of failure within the 3 year warranty period could sink the company. But I would say the failure rate of even the oldest Ego products that are just now approaching the end of the battery/charger warranty period (and still have over two years on the tool warranty) is extremely low.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Dennis, anyone who manufactures anything will have a failure rate associated with high volume production.  Forums such as this attract far more people with problems than without, therefore the image one can get basing their opinions solely on what is seen in a space such as this is one of excessive issues.

Ego has a lot of guts to have an online forum where people can discuss their issues and get help resolving them.  They should be commended for this.

To answer your question, of course they are working to resolve issues with their products, every company is.  But that failure rate thing is a reality of manufacturing and cannot be eliminated completely.

On the off chance that someone gets a defective tool or battery, the warranty is there to resolve the issue. :-)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Official Response
Just make sure the tools and batteries are all registered and give Ego a call tomorrow. I'm sure they will be able to confirm the issue and take care of you right away.

Something like this has been reported here once before that I am aware of, so it's very rare but not completely unheard of.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.