My ego 56v battery continuosly flashes orange. Wether I put in the mower or the whipper snipper

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Mower and whipper snipper will only run for 2 seconds before cutting out and the battery flashes orange. Any ideas of why this is so?
Photo of Steven Cluney

Steven Cluney

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 47,784 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I'm not sure what a whipper snipper is, but if the battery isn't working in either tool I would guess the battery is bad. Call Ego customer service for a replacement under warranty: 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 27,366 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Like you Ken, I didn't know what a "whipper snipper" is either- so I looked it up. According to Urban Dictionary, it's another term for a string trimmer. Learn something new everyday ...
Photo of Steven Cluney

Steven Cluney

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Haha sorry guy's. In Australia its known as a Whipper snipper. I'll give customer service a call on Monday. Cheers for the help
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 54,684 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Steven if you are currently in Australia, you will need a different phone number.  This is a North America site and info.  Just search Ego Power plus Australia
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 62,630 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Steven! Here is the Australian support number: 1300-000-EGO (1300-000-346). They're available Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm Australia EST.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 153,596 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We have whipper snippers up here in Canada. You guys need to get out more! :-D
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Is that an old brand name.  A lot of people around here refer to them as weed wackers which was an old brand name probably from the 80s.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Same with Weed Eater. :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

I grew up with "weed wacker" or "weed eater" but never heard of "whipper snipper."  Just for fun, I am going to start using "whipper snipper" with my neighbors, and see their facial expressions ... this will be fun!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Just be careful not to give your whipper snipper to any young whipper snappers.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I thought whipper snippers were intended for whipper snappers? What else are they supposed to do all summer with no school, play video games?

Oh, right... my bad.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

As long as the whipper snapper is properly trained on the use of the whipper snipper then they certainly should be doing some weed wacking. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Say that three times fast!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Are we talking about "seafood" ... LOL!

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 47,784 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I guess it’s time for me to visit my cousin in Canada. But since he’s in the Arctic Circle I’ll wait until summer!
Photo of S.T. Beverly

S.T. Beverly

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hey everyone! Just wanted to chime in on my very same experience. I kind of ran into the fix unintentionally. So I have my 21” Ego mower wit the 7.5Ah battery that I bought Aug 2017 and it worked great for our new lawn. Used it all the way up until December 2017 and cleaned it up for the winter storage. I liked it so much that I bought the string trimmer November 2017 and then the hedge trimmers April 2018. But the time came for me to start mowing he grass April 2018 and the mower cut my winter grown 12” grass with no issues. This week May 2018 I started to cut my grass and the mower showed a yellow light and then died out. I figured it was the battery not completely charged. So I put the 7.5 battery back on the charger and all of the lights lit up green. I let it stay on the charger long enough for me to cut my front yard with one of the smaller 2.5 batteries. The mower worked perfectly as expected. I then removed the 7.5 battery from the charger to start cutting my large back yard and the mower showed the yellow light again and died out. I figured It may have been from me not snapping the battery all the way down. I took the battery out of the mower and put it back in making sure I heard the snap. I tried starting the mower again and yet the yellow light appears. Now I’m thinking it’s the battery. I press the fuel indicator button and the light showed green but then was flashing yellow. I tried the 7.5 battery in the string trimmer and it did the same thing. So I got my manuals out and couldn’t find anything about the issue I was having. I decided to call customer support. They were busy and I left my call back number. I did some troubleshooting online and a couple things I found said that the battery and/or mower needed to cool down. I decided to do more edging with my trimmer and hand pruned a couple of bushes, all of about 30-40mins. The whole while I had the battery out of the mower. So I decided to try my 7.5 battery again in the mower and it worked perfectly. I started and stopped a few times to pick up sticks and rehydrate and all but the mower continued to perform like it never had a problem. I’ll see how it does next week.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Sounds like you may be right thinking the battery has an issue. Keep an eye on it and if it keeps acting up get in touch with Ego Customer Service. Your battery has a 3 year warranty and they’ll replace it if necessary.
Photo of S.T. Beverly

S.T. Beverly

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Definitely going to keep an eye on it. Thanks!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.