My bump feed seems to be continually releasing the line.

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
I have had my trimmer for over a year and really like it. It took me a while to get used to the bump feed, but buying better trimmer line makes it a lot easier. The problem i have had today is the line seems to start feeding out continually until it gets wrapped around the trimmer head. I've had a look at it and I think the bump part gets stuck in place, that is why it keeps feeding the line. Has anyone else had this problem?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That's a new one for me, Andrew. When you take apart the bump feed mechanism is there any obvious dirt or debris, or do any of the parts appear worn? Does the bump feed move freely in the cap opening?

If you find anything suspicious looking, post a picture if possible.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

I found no dirt or debris. I cleaned it thoroughly with a can of compressed air. The only thing i noticed, was the green bump can be pushed in, but it doesn't rebound on its own. I have to manually pull it out. I'm assuming that the head just needs to be replaced.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

I've figured out what the problem was. I was missing the spring, but i managed to find it and now it is working perfectly. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the update!