My brand new snowblower won't start

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Solved
My new snowblower arrived yesterday. I'm glad I decided to test it before the first snow because I found it was dead. The batteries were charged and installed, but nothing worked - not even the light. I tested one of the batteries in my older Ego leaf blower, and it worked like a champ, so I know it was not the batteries. I am frustrated that the Ego customer service number did not start answering calls until 10 minutes after the official 8:30 am published start time. When it did answer, it kicked me into hold, and then terminated the call after 20 minutes. I'm not sure if there was a simple fix to my snowblower problem because I could not get through when I tried again. I guess I'll never know because I decided to return the unit to my local Home Depot. Thankfully I bought it from HomeDepot.com, so the return went well. Ego, like other companies, needs to do a better job dedicating enough resources to customer help lines if they want to be successful.
Photo of Dan Lambesis

Dan Lambesis

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Did you seat the batteries all the way down? You cant pull them out if they are seated. You can check the lid because it wont close if the batteries arent seated
Photo of Dan Lambesis

Dan Lambesis

Yes. I did it many times until they 'clicked' in place. When I returned the unit to HD, I took one of the batteries that I was returning and placed it - in the same manner - in their floor model Ego snowblower, and it worked fine - both light and auger.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

K thanks for the update. Must have been a bum unit
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 98,810 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Actually, I think the lid will close (or appear closed).  I was checking out a unit at the local home depot last week and it would not work until I opened the lid and seated the batteries.  Then I had some fun.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

The lid will appear closed but wont latch when its dropped. So there is springyness to it if they aren't seated properly
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,190 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I would imagine Ego's customer service department, like every other company this week, is short-staffed because of the holiday.

That said, if I had problems right out of the box I doubt I would have even called Ego. I would have returned it immediately for a replacement. I have my complaints about Home Depot, but one thing they get right is handling returns and exchanges.
Photo of Dan Lambesis

Dan Lambesis

I agree in principle with your point (and TK's). However, disassembly (minor), repackaging , loading up, driving to HD, and unloading is not a trivial exercise. I was hoping for a quick troubleshoot win - something simple I could try that would get the unit to work. I thought perhaps I was possibly missing something obvious. Home Depot was very good BTW in handling the return.
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,226 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Ken is right... I have a plan in place when I make a purchase like this, and a return is a sure thing. I read all these blogs, and sometimes wonder about the QC...

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,170 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Keep in mind, people tend to seek out these forums when they have problems or complaints. You don't hear as much from people who buy a tool, take it home and everything is peachy.

Ego must be relatively confident with its quality control given the length of their warranty.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,038 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agreed... if I made purchasing decisions solely based on forum activities, well, I'd be making fewer purchases! :-)
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,226 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Ideal way is to test at the HD site, but it would be to cumbersome, and not sure they would allow that, just a thought..
Photo of Dan Lambesis

Dan Lambesis

This was an internet purchase to get the larger 7.5 Ah batteries, which were not available from my local HD - so testing before the purchase was not an option for me.   However, if this had been a local store purchase, I am willing to bet the store would have indeed allowed me to pre-test it out of the box right in the service counter area.   The set-up on these EGO units is not at that cumbersome, and the included batteries have a partial charge - so testing in the store is a good idea.   I would - at a minimum - recommend installing one battery and making sure the LED light works.  That 'test' would only take a couple minutes.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Absolutely. I did the same thing with mine. Too bad that it wasn't something easy. Sorry to hear about your pain buddy. It always sucks to go through what you had to.
Photo of W. Bruce Cooper

W. Bruce Cooper

• 452 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Dan, I also had this issue with my new snowblower, as did at least one other person that I found on this website.  I ended up doing what he did - spoke with customer service, then returned it to my local Home Depot, and ordered another one.  When it arrived, it worked fine.  I have not had a snow to test it out yet, however, so I am a bit worried.  I wish EGO would have reacted to the problem that I had and that the other person had, so I could understand what happened.  That way, I would not have this nagging feeling that the machine is going to somehow die once I put it to use.  BTW, I have the mower and the backpack blower, and have had no issues.  I love the tools, and I remain optimistic that I am going to love the snowblower as well.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,978 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Do keep in mind, you have 90 days to return the product if you're not happy with it for any reason, and this extends to 12 months if you purchase with the Home Depot consumer credit card.
Photo of W. Bruce Cooper

W. Bruce Cooper

I understand, but I still wish EGO would let us know what the problem was with the problem that Dan, myself and one other user experienced.  In my case and in the prior case, Customer Service was informed of what store the snowblower was being returned to so that they could examine the snowblowers and determine the problem.  I expect that was likely not something that was done, however, as the problem did not seem to be widespread.

I am not sure if you are a part of EGO, Blue Angel, but if so, another product idea for EGO - a portable ion lithium auto tire inflation tool with an accurate gauge and quick connect and disconnect when used (so pressure is not lost on disconnect).
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,978 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agreed - follow up would be nice.

I'm not part of Ego, but Ego's slowly becoming a bigger and bigger part of me as my tool collection grows! I'm just a customer, and I'm in Canada no less. :-)

Absolutely agreed on the tire inflator!!! At this time of year a powerful inflator with an accurate (and back-lit!) pressure gauge would be worth its weight in gold as people pull their dusty winter tires out of the garage and prepare their cars for another round of battle with winter!

Edit: Add a nice floodlight to the package as well so we can actually see what we're doing in the dark.
(Edited)
Photo of Dan Lambesis

Dan Lambesis

Bruce, My unit had two fully charged 7.5 Ah batteries installed when I tested it. It made a very brief startup noise upon starting - perhaps 0.1 or 0.2 seconds - before going quiet - never to be resuscitated ( at least by me). I have wondered whether the larger batteries (x2) caused too much power surge and a fuse to blow or an internal circuit breaker to trip. Of course, this is pure conjecture. But that is a possibility I cannot rule out. It would have been nice to get through to the EGO customer service folks to explore possibilities.
Photo of W. Bruce Cooper

W. Bruce Cooper

Dan, My first snowblower had two fully charged 5 Ah batteries installed.  Like yours, a brief startup noise - same 0.1 or 0.2 seconds - then quiet and never a peep thereafter.  So, I don't think it was the larger batteries.  In my opinion, EGO should figure this out and let us know.  It might be a fuse or breaker, but we do not have the necessary information.  My second one seems to run ok, but have yet to use it for snow.  Hopefully no issue lurking.
Photo of Vanessa Adams

Vanessa Adams

• 72 Points
We're having the exact same problem as so many on this forum. Ours started for a millisecond and then nothing. No lights, nada. Two fully charged batteries; but can't start the unit. Thankfully, three of my neighbors helped me shovel my driveway and sidewalk this morning, as we got over a foot of snow in a few hours. Totally bummed about my brand new unit being a giant paperweight.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,038 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Vanessa, give Ego Customer Service a call and they will have a replacement unit shipped to you ASAP.
Photo of Rick McKenzie

Rick McKenzie

• 60 Points
I have been very happy with my unit, with 2 7.5 AH batteries, that was purchased 4.5 months ago. Until yesterday that is. I had just finished up the sidewalks (I live on a corner), and the walkway to my front porch, when I started in on the pile left in front of my driveway, by my friendly Minneapolis city slow plow, when it just stopped. Because I thought that it might be due to overheating of the motor or batteries, I let it sit for an hour, put the batteries on the charger, then tried again. Nothing, no battery indicator, no headlights, and definitely no power to the auger. Customer service was no help. They just said that they would ship me a new unit, which should be here in 5-10 days, regardless of the fact that they are predicting 10-20" tonight and tomorrow. Looks like my Snow-Joe battery-electric snow broom is going to get a workout. They need to have a faster response to unit issues during peak snow season. I asked if they could overnight it to me, but they do not have that option.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,170 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Vanessa, if your snow blower is brand new, remember Home Depot has a 90-day return window. You will be able to swap it out for a new unit without calling customer service.

Rick, while the situation is not ideal, I would say customer service shipping you a new snow blower is being a big help. I can't imagine what it would cost to overnight a package of this size and weight.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Rick. 10-20". I'm near you and I see predictions of 6-9.

Regardless, this issue has been plaguing very few blowers, but enough to be annoying for sure. My first one also had this issue.