My brand new (2 week old) LM2100SP mower just stopped powering on yesterday. REALLY annoying. Tried everything. Ideas?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
My brand new (2 week old) LM2100SP mower just stopped powering on yesterday. I bought it at Home Depot 2 weeks ago, used it once that weekend and then started cutting the grass last night and it was fine for 15 minutes and then it just stopped powering on. Battery indicator wasn't showing any issue but I took the battery out and charged fully nevertheless. Tried again, no dice. Figured I would try again today, which I just did, and nothing. When I push the button and pull the hand lever, the button just stays depressed and nothing happens. If it were a gas mower, I'd guess the spark plug was busted, but not sure how to triage this. See video. 
Photo of liam

liam

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated, confused

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 8,846 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You pressed the button on the battery while it was in the mower and nothing happened. What happens when you pres the button while the batter isn't in the mower or connected to any other device? Do you get a light? What color?

With the purchase only two weeks ago, I'd take it back to Home Depot and exchange for another mower.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 16,058 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
From what I can see in your video is that you pressed the green button, released it before pulling the handle. You must hold that button down as you pull the handle back to start.
Photo of liam

liam

Thanks to you both. I've tried it every way I possibly can. Taken the battery out, pressed the button, charged it, put it back, pressed it, didn't press it, etc. As for the green button "starter", the video is a bit misleading - I had the button pressed while I pulled the handle. There's just no "start" to it. 

William E Hanson

• 16,058 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Take it back to Home Depot for exchange; they're really good about that.
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,136 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Yes, go get another one
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,938 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Check the handle clips. If they are not fully engaged after extending the handle, the mower won't start. If that doesn't fix it, yah, take it back to Home Depot for an exchange.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 926 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I realize that no one here can diagnose this guys mower remotely, but if I get to own mine for as long as I hope to it would be nice to have some knowledge about "common failure" points.   

It sure would seem like the battery is by far the most complex component in these systems and there is already a dude on youtube taking one apart in excruciating detail and then even fixing it. 

I hope we get that kind of community for the tools too eventually.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 8,156 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I think the common failure points are pretty well known. I think the disappointment I have in EGO is that there aren't too many common fixes. I've had easier luck opening up my furnace, my washer, my dryer, my computers for DIY repairs. There is zero effort by EGO to help the customer help themselves in the repair. I'd like to see EGO's next generation of mowers be more modular and repairable allowing the customer to help themselves in the repair process.  
Photo of 69vincep

69vincep

• 60 Points
I am seriously considering buying the 21 inch self propelled mower, they are expensive here in Canada so after reading the issues you are having I am a bit hesitant on spending that kind of money, I have the snow thrower and it worked great this winter that's why I am considering the mower. Are they that good?

William E Hanson

• 11,754 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Depending upon who you listen to; I'm a happy user of the 21" SP with 7.5 Ah battery. I have an 1/8 acre lot that the HOA is supposed to mow, but not enough to suit me. I want it mowed every 3 days since I add more grass seeds and fertilizer plus have an in-ground irrigation system. This replaced a 21" Black and Decker SP that I gave to my son-in-law. There's nothing to complain about.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 8,156 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'm happy with my 21 inch self-propelled mower too. So far, no problems. In my opinion, the mower works better than the snow blower. In general, I haven't had any problems so far with any of my EGO devices. I just don't like that EGO gives customers very few options to fix an issue themselves if something does go wrong.
Photo of liam

liam

It looks great, sounds great, feels great, the one time I used it before it stopped working. But I'll take an exchange and try again before I switch to another brand. I like it that much.