My blower battery on high setting only lasts about 20 mins.

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
My battery on high setting only lasts about 20 mins. On low it's 30 mins. I couldn't get my whole roof and patio cover in 1 charge. I had to take a 30 min break and eat lunch and go back up. I live in the NW and you need power for more than 20 mins to blow off wet leaves from a driveway, 15 x 30 patio and 60 ft of sidewalk. If it's bone dry same job takes 10 mins. Again, battery doesn't last long on average job. I think I'll have to buy another battery.??
Photo of Stacy

Stacy

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
From page 12 of the blower manual:

If you're getting about 20 minutes from the blower on its high setting using the 2Ah pack, it would seem it's working OK.

Wet leaves can be tough to move, and if you have lots of them over a large area it looks like you need more battery capacity, or as you said, an excuse to break for lunch. :-)

If you have the 4Ah battery it can be used as well (all Ego tools/batteries are compatible).  Run time will double, however it will weigh a little more... not a big deal if you're walking around blowing off your patio, but may be an issue if you're climbing ladders and negotiating your way around roof peaks.

Maybe letting the leaves dry before blowing could be an option?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I use mostly Turbo (which I think should have a switch setting) and get about 10-15 minutes with a 4ah battery, at best.  Your time doesn't sound out of reason, that is a long time running the blower.
Photo of Stacy

Stacy

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I guess I should be more specific, 10-20 mins on high depending on how heavy the leaves are and low is more like 20-30 mins. Either way I bought the thing because the Home Depot sales lady said they get an hr out of the one's they use to blow down the garden area and front of the store. Now, given the size of most Home Depots, I'm guessing they wouldn't use a product that gets less than half the run the time that they get. So I'm back to thinking you have to have 2 batteries minimum to get an average chore done. Keep in mind my house is only 1100 sqt ft with a 300 sqft covered aluminum patio, It would be nice to not have to take a break 20 mins in to the job and have to get back up on the roof to finish the last 10-15 mins. It's too bad because when it runs it's awesome, but the waiting around for it to recharge is ridiculous!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I believe they blow for an hour, but not the whole hour.  They probably spend and hour cleaning with it, ON/OFF time and just figure they used it for an hour.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Stacy, might I suggest running a test?

Fully charge the battery and tape the trigger "on", then set the speed selector to high (not Turbo). Set a timer and see how long it goes.

Ego claims 18 minutes in that configuration. If you're getting anything less than 16-17 minutes of steady run time you may have a defective battery.

Tip: Don't set the blower flat down or you'll be blocking the air intake, which is on the bottom. Lay it on its side or prop it up somehow.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I'd recommend to EGO to design a more traditional blower that uses an impeller much like that of the Toro 51619 model Ultra Blower Vac, except maybe with a larger diameter and with a fairly high-torque, high-speed motor that can really push air out of a tube at high speed. I'm talking as much air as you can get moving at 150-200mph. This would really move those stubborn wet, heavy leaves, as Toro describes them, and as I describe them. I've never tried the EGO on wet leaves (yet), but I'm thinking that it might need some more speed to really be effective. Someone fill me in if I'm missing something.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

The ego does very well on leaves, but only on Turbo.  I use Turbo for everything and would love to see a switch setting for this.  It eats through a 2ah battery in no time.  When I hook up my 7.5ah battery I can get close to 30 turbo minutes, which is quite good.  The blower was designed and optimized to run on high and with the 2ah battery that comes with the kit.  I just use it for so much more than blowing debris.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Yeah, I used it to remove cobwebs from inside the house because its low power mode blew air so slowly that it really wasn't that disruptive to things in the house, which was very convenient for me.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

If I can have a switch setting "Blow Fire Ants back to Africa", I would buy one for each of my neighbors.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Oh my god, they are bad here. I actually blew a fire ant mound clean away with one of my Toros as I'm waiting for my new EGO to come in. The ants just kept coming out of the ground and I just kept blowing them away. :D Eventually there were pretty much none left.